Comparisons Thailand/philippines

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Thought it might be about time to update this topic and add another string to it, by comparing Thailand with Philippines.  I will look after the Thailand side as I know it (open to others here of course) and it will be interesting to do the comparisons.  I think Phils might just win but it will be close.

Rent/Mortgage                                                              18000

Utilities Elect/Water                                                         1500

Groceries                                                                         5000

Wet Market                                                                      4000

Public Transport                                                              1000

Vehicle/Bike exp                                                              2500

Medical exp                                                                      2000

Dining out                                                                         4000 

Home tippling                                                                   4000

Entertainment                                                                   3000

Mikscellaneous                                                                3000

TOTAL                                                                            48000

I am a pensioner and it is 42k month, plus I have a small income of 25k month.  The left over is saved to pay for my twice yearly trip to Australia for medical matters and see family.  So there is little over, but I have a far better life here than I can in Oz as no doubt the case is with my fellow expats on this forum.

Prices have risen 10-15% at minimum here in the past 2 years.  The Oz $ during the same time has fallen from 39B to 25.5b, also 15%, so there has been a real erosion of buying power for Australians here.  

I will be interested to hear from anyone for a comparison between the two countries, although I know our $ has gone from 40p to 34 or less there, so a similar scenario I am expecting.

I could live here for less, move to the country go stoneraving mad and save probably 20%, or give up the booze here and go even madder, but the clock is ticking for me and I want to enjoy my retirement.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Utilities Elect/Water                                                         1500  

Our utilities average about 10,000 pesos a month, water (including purified water from vendor as needed) electricity, cable tv, phone, internet. Just to give you an idea

The other categories I cant really help you with as I don't monitor them. (wife takes care of all that stuff) I just know those because I either go to the water vendor or walk to the bill paying center and hand over the cash.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks for sharing I find this interesting. One fact, Thailand by far has better food.

• Like 5

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Mogo51

Many, if not all of the cost of living expenses here vary from region to region and city to city. So much of what you are likely to spend here will depend very much on where you want to live. Some things are cheaper, others are more expensive. I can give you a breakdown of our major expenses, and, because I lived in Jomtien (near to Pattaya for those unfamiliar) for several years can give a comparison there. Firstly the rent. My first rental property there was a 48 sm studiio in a very nice block and that was 16 k thb per month. For the last 3 years I moved to a lovely 105 sm one bed apartment and the rent was 23k. Here in CDO we rent a really nice 3 bed bungalow on a secure, very green, gated sub-division with car port for four cars, a/c throughout and a total area of 240 sm. We pay 18k php which is around 14k thb.

Electric costs here are way higher than I was paying in Thailand. There we were all electric, did a lot of cooking at home, and the last place was averaging around 2000-2500 thb per month. Here its around 4000-5000 php per month and we cook by gas. We also don't need to use the a/c so much as we have a nice breeze and lots of shade. Gas though is very economical.

Food I find is generally cheaper, but the western items I could purchase in Thailand and, if they are available here, are about 30 to 50% more expensive. Soda water, which I drink a lot of, I could buy in any 7-11 for 8 thb (10php) is 28.5 php here).

Electrical items such as fridges, tv, household appliances and such are a lot more expensive. In some cases I noted were double the Thailand price. I guess that is because most of the retailers here are a cartel and seem to be very closely linked. There are also a lot of very poor quality stuff on the market which is more priced for the local market. If you want quality, and recognised brands, you certainly pay for it.

For transport I use metered taxis which are plentiful and cheap. But it does add up. I have not used the jeepneys at all. They are usually overcrowded, often laden with goods and livestock as well. Not at all like the much better baht bus system you are used to. I think costs though are about the same.

Your other costings seem to be similar to ours, but of course they may in reality be quite different. 'Home Tippling' for example could well be very different! Mine doesn't often lead to a hangover the following morning, yours might. :)

Internet is considerably more expensive for less speed. 3BB were 999thb for 13mb. Here I pay 4000php for up to 8mb. But more often than not the speed is much less.

Cable TV is less than Truevisions for a similar package, but seems to feature a lot of repeats. However I brought over my ThaiExpat TV internet package which I find much more suited to my tastes as it is a large selection of UK tv channels. That works out a lot cheaper than cable.

Medical costs seem to be a lot cheaper than Thailand, however I did use Bangkok Pattaya Hospital which I always found outstanding....but of course at a corresponding cost. For something similar I would need to travel to Cebu or Manila. The medicines I get here are the same price as in Thailand.

Other costs you need to consider are those associated with extending your visa. I haven't a total figure so far, but they are a lot more than Thailand. My Thai retirement visa was 1900 thb plus 1900 thb multiple entry and a UK Embassy pension confirmation letter of 2400 thb. That was it. 6200 thb total. (Around 8k php). I pay more than that for three months here including the ACR-i card which has to be renewed every year.

Hope that helps.

Ken

Edited for phat phingers.

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Thanks for sharing I find this interesting. One fact, Thailand by far has better food.

Absolutely, except for Chicken Adobo, my s.other makes this and I can't eat enough of it.  Rest a bit boring I am afraid.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Absolutely, except for Chicken Adobo, my s.other makes this and I can't eat enough of it.  Rest a bit boring I am afraid.

That was one question  I was going to ask, What does your Wife Cook for you? being a Filipino but I guess that is answered now :thumbsup:

Jack :)

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Rent and utilities being the main difference. Living rent free levels out our costs, but we seem to spend the money elsewhere.

Current income USD to Peso, about 58,000.

Expenses, 35-40k, but we have a few things to pay off so round out to 48k, 10k is savings. If we don't touch the 10k we are good, last few months it was consumed.

If I'm in Australia, Gina has to manage on 18k, child allowance plus $100 USD given to round it out, covers her motorcycle payment plus expenses.

Rent: I did pay 15k in QC, if I paid that now would be in trouble.

Food: we live close to extended family, add the extra cost for a month, it goes up sharply.

Utilities: I paid 7-8k in QC, maximum 2,500 here but fridge has been on the blink....800 pesos now.

Internet: Globe is 999 pesos a months.

Entertainment and meals out: not much, 2k all up. We only go to main town once/twice a month, but I take moneywith me when riding, 100-200/day but it adds up.

Thai food is amazing, but so is Filipino food once you get used to it. Like Ron says, with a little imagination you can have both. Philippines is highly eclectic, more than Thailand, we can get anything here, Italian, Japanese, Mexican, close to original.

It's been 20 years since being in Thailand but rent would still be the big divider. However if in a hotel or ashort stay apartelle or condo, Thailand is better. EDIT: in that in the Philippines rent rise sharply depending on where you live. Cebu and the more habitable parts of Metro Manila, QC, being the prime examples. And if you don't pay the higher rent you pay more in transportation costs.

Edited by chris49

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Hi Mogo51

Many, if not all of the cost of living expenses here vary from region to region and city to city. So much of what you are likely to spend here will depend very much on where you want to live. Some things are cheaper, others are more expensive. I can give you a breakdown of our major expenses, and, because I lived in Jomtien (near to Pattaya for those unfamiliar) for several years can give a comparison there. Firstly the rent. My first rental property there was a 48 sm studiio in a very nice block and that was 16 k thb per month. For the last 3 years I moved to a lovely 105 sm one bed apartment and the rent was 23k. Here in CDO we rent a really nice 3 bed bungalow on a secure, very green, gated sub-division with car port for four cars, a/c throughout and a total area of 240 sm. We pay 18k php which is around 14k thb.

Electric costs here are way higher than I was paying in Thailand. There we were all electric, did a lot of cooking at home, and the last place was averaging around 2000-2500 thb per month. Here its around 4000-5000 php per month and we cook by gas. We also don't need to use the a/c so much as we have a nice breeze and lots of shade. Gas though is very economical.

Food I find is generally cheaper, but the western items I could purchase in Thailand and, if they are available here, are about 30 to 50% more expensive. Soda water, which I drink a lot of, I could buy in any 7-11 for 8 thb (10php) is 28.5 php here).

Electrical items such as fridges, tv, household appliances and such are a lot more expensive. In some cases I noted were double the Thailand price. I guess that is because most of the retailers here are a cartel and seem to be very closely linked. There are also a lot of very poor quality stuff on the market which is more priced for the local market. If you want quality, and recognised brands, you certainly pay for it.

For transport I use metered taxis which are plentiful and cheap. But it does add up. I have not used the jeepneys at all. They are usually overcrowded, often laden with goods and livestock as well. Not at all like the much better baht bus system you are used to. I think costs though are about the same.

Your other costings seem to be similar to ours, but of course they may in reality be quite different. 'Home Tippling' for example could well be very different! Mine doesn't often lead to a hangover the following morning, yours might. :)

Internet is considerably more expensive for less speed. 3BB were 999thb for 13mb. Here I pay 4000php for up to 8mb. But more often than not the speed is much less.

Cable TV is less than Truevisions for a similar package, but seems to feature a lot of repeats. However I brought over my ThaiExpat TV internet package which I find much more suited to my tastes as it is a large selection of UK tv channels. That works out a lot cheaper than cable.

Medical costs seem to be a lot cheaper than Thailand, however I did use Bangkok Pattaya Hospital which I always found outstanding....but of course at a corresponding cost. For something similar I would need to travel to Cebu or Manila. The medicines I get here are the same price as in Thailand.

Other costs you need to consider are those associated with extending your visa. I haven't a total figure so far, but they are a lot more than Thailand. My Thai retirement visa was 1900 thb plus 1900 thb multiple entry and a UK Embassy pension confirmation letter of 2400 thb. That was it. 6200 thb total. (Around 8k php). I pay more than that for three months here including the ACR-i card which has to be renewed every year.

Hope that helps.

Ken

Edited for phat phingers.

Thanks Ken for taking the time to respond.

Yes there seems to be a lot of each way or parsip parsip as they say here. I live on the edge of Jomtien, south side of hill near Sth

Pattaya but lived in Jomtien prior to that.

I was aware of difference in electric costs and will have to get used to cooking by gas when the time comes.  I was in a 2 storey house before this, electric 1700bht but if you are an a/con freek, many pay 4-5k mth.

Rents have dropped here, we have a large 93sq mt here, very close to everything but it was 27k bht until I offered 18k and they took it as there are so many vacancies.

I am a bit horrified if imported food goods are worse than here, they are very expensive here especially things like cheese, cereal,

just our general day things, like my beloved Vegemite, which I bring from OZ.

Appliance costs there are certainly more expensive, I have noticed that, this is no doubt the reason they charge a good bit more for furnished accommodation which is what we would look for.

Cable can be expensive here, but if you steer away from Truvision it is better.  TMN is 350bt mth and not really all that worse than True.

Bkk/Pattaya Hospital is exhorbitant and not much better than some of the better general hospitals like Chonburi, it is a very large hospital, but it is like a bee hive during the day!

I have retirement visa here and you are correct with costs, if you get that special RV there, you have to put 10kUS into the bank which is a lot.  But once you have it, the costs are not too bad as I understand?  Is that the one you have?  You can use that 10k$ if you are buying a property there (for your partner) unless it is a Condo as I see it?

The military are really flexing their muscle here and showing their anti farang traits.  They are not leaving in the short term and this country is really struggling financially - only they don't admit it, much like the Chinese.

So as I see it, cheaper rent and some foods (as you say depends where you live), are offset by more expensive things there like electricity, visa costs, etc.  This tends to come to the conclusion I made when I was over there, it is parsip/parsip!

Cheers 

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Rent and utilities being the main difference. Living rent free levels out our costs, but we seem to spend the money elsewhere.

Current income USD to Peso, about 58,000.

Expenses, 35-40k, but we have a few things to pay off so round out to 48k, 10k is savings. If we don't touch the 10k we are good, last few months it was consumed.

If I'm in Australia, Gina has to manage on 18k, child allowance plus $100 USD given to round it out, covers her motorcycle payment plus expenses.

Rent: I did pay 15k in QC, if I paid that now would be in trouble.

Food: we live close to extended family, add the extra cost for a month, it goes up sharply.

Utilities: I paid 7-8k in QC, maximum 2,500 here but fridge has been on the blink....800 pesos now.

Internet: Globe is 999 pesos a months.

Entertainment and meals out: not much, 2k all up. We only go to main town once/twice a month, but I take moneywith me when riding, 100-200/day but it adds up.

Thai food is amazing, but so is Filipino food once you get used to it. Like Ron says, with a little imagination you can have both. Philippines is highly eclectic, more than Thailand, we can get anything here, Italian, Japanese, Mexican, close to original.

It's been 20 years since being in Thailand but rent would still be the big divider. However if in a hotel or ashort stay apartelle or condo, Thailand is better. EDIT: in that in the Philippines rent rise sharply depending on where you live. Cebu and the more habitable parts of Metro Manila, QC, being the prime examples. And if you don't pay the higher rent you pay more in transportation costs.

Yes mate, I recall discussing a lot of this over some Cognac that went down well but resulted in a very unhappy Gina!!! haha.

What is the Tony story now?

I know living here in Pattaya/Jomtien adds a bit extra to the costs, probably more than a bit, but I can go and have a selection of any cuisine I want, get most things at the want easily.  I forgot to tell HB that soda is still 7 bht bottle!

I would go nuts in most of the towns up Nth Luzon, maybe it would be ok at Laoag but not sure.

I like to mix with westerners (all types) and discuss what is happening in the world, go and have a few beers once or twice a week

(we pay average 60bht San Mig Light).

I go back twice a year to get meds in Oz, my stuff is very expensive here and in Phils, as you know.

A bit of a conundrum overall.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

That was one question  I was going to ask, What does your Wife Cook for you? being a Filipino but I guess that is answered now :thumbsup:

Jack :)

Hi  Jack.

She has a busy life teaching brat Thais and that is a challenge as well as putting up with Thai Administration just trying to make life for them as bad as possible.  But she has the patience of Jobe and just puts up with it.

Long day so I think the least I can do is hava a meal for her when she gets home and I like cooking1  Not as much as I used to, think I am turning into another Jack Lemon/Walter Matthau hybrid!

So, I am happy for her to chill when she gets home and have the dinner ready.  We sit on the balcony, I have a drink for medicinal purposes only, she drinks water (I have warned her what fish do in water) but it makes no difference.

Then we watch some recorded UK/US tele series which are very good.  Then lights out and bed.  Next day, same same.

But so far my attempts to get too venturous into Filipino food has not been all that successful.