Razors In Philippines

Posted (edited)

Occam's Razor

"Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected."

So how is this a Philippine topic? :dance:   There are many competing razors on many store shelves in the Philippines and, hypothetically, they all do a good job of shaving my  stubble.  But you can always assume that the razor with the best price and best quality shaves will be the one with the fewest available replacement blades.

No matter how good a shaver you buy, there is a good chance that when you go to the same store next month they will have no blades for it and you have to buy another razor (that comes with one or to blades.)

1%20(103).gif 

I need a good quality razor. Gillette Sensor or Schick Quattro, and these are the top of the range. 320-380 for a 4 Pack of blades assuming you have the handle. The supermarket will run out of the one you need sometimes forcing you to buy the opposite brand for which you might not have the handle.

Watson's has all of the above, and also has Watson's own brand, 4 for 255 pesos, or if you need a handle...youknow how it goes. Watson's brands are good, so on a life expectancy of about a month, I go with that. Quattro is a bit better and I can get 5-6 weeks from a blade. But Watson's is always available.

Did my research on Occam's Razor and note that the simple solution is usually the best. Is that what you meant or am I missing the entire point.

Edited by chris49

• Forum Support
Posted

No brainer.... Least cost - effort....Grow a beard.

I'm always here to help. :attention:

Oh.... What did you say Jake? I thought Dave was shaving his face you're suggesting something else altogether?  :mocking:

• Like 2

Posted

Electric shaver is best and yes I know power is not always available . Other choice is rechargeable so either way you can shave.  :tiphat:

• Like 3

Posted

I had the same problem with replacement blades being unavailable so when they did become available i bought enough for a year. As for electric mine broke down the day before I was coming back here after 20 odd days in the UK I had no time to buy a replacement. Dave have you tried Immac?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Posted
Did my research on Occam's Razor and note that the simple solution is usually the best. Is that what you meant or am I missing the entire point.

Yes, I mean the simple solution is usually the best EXCEPT in Philippines. I love those low cost Watson blades you mentioned, but every Watson store in Dumaguete had No Stock.  This week.  So much for the simple solution.  As you mentioned, I have 3 razors and I use whatever one I can get blades for.

• Forum Support
Posted

I use what ever disposable razor that my wife buys.

I am blessed by being descended from ancestors who came down from the trees early on in human evolution. I was 23 before I grew my first chest hair. (Girl I was dating pulled it out thinking it was cute.........boy did I cry).

I go to my barber once a week for a barber shave, that's good for two days, then just scrape a bit after my evening shower.

But seriously, with the low cost of barber shaves, I am surprised more don't take advantage of them. :cheersty:

• Like 5

Posted

Occam's Razor

"Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected."

So how is this a Philippine topic? :dance:   There are many competing razors on many store shelves in the Philippines and, hypothetically, they all do a good job of shaving my  stubble.  But you can always assume that the razor with the best price and best quality shaves will be the one with the fewest available replacement blades.

No matter how good a shaver you buy, there is a good chance that when you go to the same store next month they will have no blades for it and you have to buy another razor (that comes with one or to blades.)

:1 (103): 

Yes Dave, have noticed this over here in Thailand.  A pain in the neck lol!

Posted

Twas much the same in Singapore, at least when buying Schick Quattro blades, which is my razor of choice. Latterly I've been fortunate to find sufficient blades to meet my needs but one should always have a disposable handy in case of emergency.

Posted

I don't have an Occam - I have a Gillette Fat Boy. <-- That is the name, I am not calling anyone fat ha ha....

Good dependable razor, and it will last a lifetime. Double edged blades are available here but I brought about 70 with me, so no worries yet (I get about 2 months on a blade). I am unsure of the quality of their blades here.  I also have about a 3 years supply of shaving soap, and Aqua Velva.   On another note - I am looking for a local supplier of Vitalis, if anyone can help out .... I am on my last bottle...   :tiphat:

post-2045-0-74686000-1448804090_thumb.jp