Best Way To Relocate, Every Situation Is Unique...

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

Mike:

Scott - not sworn yet.  Waiting on appointment for test and oath.  Now on green card.

When your wife receives her US citizenship, she will lose her Philippine citizenship.  She will then have reacquire the PH citizenship to be a dual citizen.  You will not be able to avail of the 13A process until she regains her PH citizenship.  She can do that either in the US if she has time, or after she gets to the Philippines.

Hmmm...If my wife gains her U.S. citizenship and automatically then loses her PI citizenship:

1. What document should she travel on (exiting the US and entering PI) as her PI passport would then be invalid, and
  2. Can she still invoke the BB privilege for all of us once we arrive at MNL, no longer being a PI citizen technically?

I'm not particularly worried about the 13a right now, with BB and extensions/tourist visa I should have plenty of time for her to reacquire PI or do dual citizenship once we are there.  I am concerned about entry and our permanent residence there.  I am concerned that this adds another layer of delay before travel, gaining dual citizenship.

You bring up a good point about status though.  I am in the relatively unique position of, at the time of being eligible for SS in three years, having two children aged 4 and 7.  This will nearly double my benefit (180%) for many years, with the additional 80% paid to my wife FBO the children.  I haven't looked at whether her or their citizenship affects this benefit, only that it is payable when residing outside the US...which both mine and hers is.  

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

Scott...point taken.  Like a presidential press conference:  "I have a question", but it has 13 parts.  My bad, I'll try to break it up, I can certainly split off the health insurance and some other points.  The relocation questions, I will try.  But my concern is that my situation is both a bit complex and the elements are interwoven.  Otherwise I would have pulled the answers off other posts, almost all are there.  But I don't want to do something that affects future status/actions and bites me in the, lets say, posterior.  Hehehe.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
Hmmm...If my wife gains her U.S. citizenship and automatically then loses her PI citizenship: What document should she travel on (exiting the US and entering PI) as her PI passport would then be invalid, and Can she still invoke the BB privilege for all of us once we arrive at MNL, no longer being a PI citizen technically? I'm not particularly worried about the 13a right now, with BB and extensions/tourist visa I should have plenty of time for her to reacquire PI or do dual citizenship once we are there.  I am concerned about entry and our permanent residence there.  I am concerned that this adds another layer of delay before travel, gaining dual citizenship.   You bring up a good point about status though.  I am in the relatively unique position of, at the time of being eligible for SS in three years, having two children aged 4 and 7.  This will nearly double my benefit (180%) for many years, with the additional 80% paid to my wife FBO the children.  I haven't looked at whether her or their citizenship affects this benefit, only that it is payable when residing outside the US...which both mine and hers is

As Scott mentioned, you would both travel on USA passports.  This will not affect the ability to avail of the BB privilege, because this is extended to both current and former PH citizens returning to the Philippines (and their spouse and children).  You should carry a copy of the marriage license in case immigration wants to see it.  Social security benefits for your wife and children will not be affected because of any change in your wife's citizenship.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
What document should she travel on (exiting the US and entering PI) as her PI passport would then be invalid, and Can she still invoke the BB privilege for all of us once we arrive at MNL, no longer being a PI citizen technically?

The BB visa "privilege" (as it is often called) is expressly designed for folks just like your wife. Born Filipinos who are no longer Filipino citizens. If we look real deep as to the reason for BB its economic. The Philippines WANTS all the "rich" Fil/Ams etc. to spend as much time as possible in the old country so make it very easy for them to come and stay for long periods of time.

Once you move here you will be amazed at the number of Filipinos that come up to you and say "I am from (pick your city)" and that they are on an extended visit home. Sorry I digress lolol.

Bottom line is to answer your entry/exit question. Yes, once your wife has her USA passport, you and your family will just go through the immigration line at the airport. Your wife will hand all the passports to the official, and babble in Tagolog (you might recognize the word Balikbayan :mocking: ) and the official will stamp your passports with a BB stamp and your good for 12 months. Like Mike said, its always a good idea to have your other paper work with you just in case.

Trying to put your mind at ease, my wife and I visited the Philippines many times just for vacation, and even though we were only going to be here for two weeks, we always asked for a BB visa, just to test the system.

You'll be fine on this score. :cheersty:

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

Scott:  Little doubt there will be a "JK's Bar & Grill" though most likely another moniker, no offense lol, I have been in that industry since 15 and in my blood.  Wife is quite an accomplished PI/spanish cook, my style is Mexican/Creole/Caribbean.  South Cebu probably, maybe Tagbilaran Bohol.  

• Like 1

gusincebu
Posted
Posted

1. Am I safe doing this?

Yes. In WORST case you will need to pay tourist VISA fee.

2. Somewhere else it was told she use US passport in USA and Phil passport in Phils both entering and leaving.

3. No difference. (Except if it's big chance you will leave within around a year, it perhaps better you get a return ticket instead of a "throw away" ticket.)

4. You can need a "throw away" ticket, if you don't have a return ticket, to be sure to not be refused to enter the flight in USA.

I don't know if your kids need.

" If dated onward tickets, do they have to be dated within the 30 day non-visa stay limit to be legitimate?"

Any.

5 and 6. You can leave anytime, except you need a permit to leave if you have been there more than 6 month. Such can take 3 days to get.

If I have understood corect, you will NOT be on BB, if you return to Phils within a year and your wife arrive with you the second time too, so you can need to pay for a tourist VISA then.

12. If you will WORK you will need a WORK permit. ACR-I card DON'T cover that.

13. " I would imagine wife and kids are good for PhilHealth, am I eligible while on BB or 13a?"

As far as I know ANYONE can join PhilHealth. Not sure if it have changed when they added some type of "group", but earlier if your WIFE is joined as MAIN, kids, husband (=you) and her parents are included in HER insurance.

The rest I asume others can answer much better than I :)

And just how much is the " Tourist Visa fee " on arrival Thomas ?

Thomas
Posted
Posted
And just how much is the " Tourist Visa fee " on arrival Thomas ?
Other forum members have paid recently. I believe it's around 2500 - 3000 pesos for the shortest now.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Tourist visa - first 30 days are free.

There is a memorandum somewhere in this forum that JGF posted originally... If coming in on a BB, no forwarding ticket is required... Just show the memo to the airline.

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Tourist visa - first 30 days are free.

There is a memorandum somewhere in this forum that JGF posted originally... If coming in on a BB, no forwarding ticket is required... Just show the memo to the airline.

Here's a great articles on the BB privilege, but it shows that the forwarding ticket is not consistent.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
removed link

• 3 weeks later...
jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

Not that it matters, as consistency seems to be elusive.  But attached is a screenshot of correspondence with BI (over FaceBook).  They indicate that a return/onward ticket is NOT required.

Balikbayan BI correspondence.docx

• Like 1