The Real Basis For The Claim That Davao Is " One Of The Safest Cities In The World"...

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Davao has seen a plethora of killings, kidnappings and bombings recently....probably dropped from 4th to 5th safest city in THE WHOLE WORLD.   :lol:   Probably a decent place to live, but the hype is ridiculous, IMO.

I'll be moving near the Davao area, and was wondering if you could expand on the "plethora" of incidents in Davao.. I know about the Samar Island incident outside of Davao a few months back and an individual injured in a van from a small bomb. I know of two friends living there for quite a while and have a peaceful retirement with freedom and security to move about in their every day life.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Ok, I've been in Davao City for a full year now... I've been around the world a couple times (ex-air force) and have spent lots of time in Europe, South America, and of course the Caribbean... Not to forget too much time in both Canada and the US... Davao I would rate as probably the safest city I have lived in.

When you read news reports on murders, kidnappings and such? Look to see if it was Davao or if it was just reported from here... My gawd, a shooting in the other side of the province shows up as here... I often go walking before the sun is up and the only people I see are other walkers and joggers - unless someone is heading to work...

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Ok, I've been in Davao City for a full year now... I've been around the world a couple times (ex-air force) and have spent lots of time in Europe, South America, and of course the Caribbean... Not to forget too much time in both Canada and the US... Davao I would rate as probably the safest city I have lived in.

When you read news reports on murders, kidnappings and such? Look to see if it was Davao or if it was just reported from here... My gawd, a shooting in the other side of the province shows up as here... I often go walking before the sun is up and the only people I see are other walkers and joggers - unless someone is heading to work...

Thank you sir .... you made my point .... I was hoping you would read this thread and respond ..... :AddEmoticons04230: :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

When you listen to his Sunday tv show - a journalist who asks the questions very informally and you can tell it's not rehearsed or anything really off limits unless it's for someone's safety... You get to discover this is a man who really is concerned about Jose Average... I have the utmost respect for this man as a politician in a dirty world and what he's done to make life better for the good people! As for his taking part in the Davao Death Squads? If you watch, poker players especially, you'll notice the tell when he's working a reputation he probably didn't have any part of... He just knows it works so why not?

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

My gawd, a shooting in the other side of the province shows up as here.

Are you saying that you are restricted to the city?  I mean it sounds like you are pretty safe in Davao city but don't go for a drive into the province.  

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Davao is a pretty big city area if you look on the map... I've traveled east a short way - maybe another 100 km - and west as far as General Santos... I've also covered from CDO both east (to Surigao) and west (Iligan City). Though I don't recommend the average person doing this, I had no problems due to who I was traveling with... Which was usually myself... Hehe!

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Are you saying that you are restricted to the city?  I mean it sounds like you are pretty safe in Davao city but don't go for a drive into the province.  

There are both muslim and NPA guerila rural there. The muslims are at all sides, not sure if NPA is at the west side, but sure at the other sides.

For instance inside the border of what's counted as Davao "city" but RURAL rather far from the city houses, in the most south part of the "city" it was a fight with NPA some months ago.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Yes, I remember that well... Some young kid on his first mission for the rebel side screwed up totally and started that mess... First he got reamed out by his CO, then by more senior officers and passed over to the other side for punishment... When the Mayor says No, it means No!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Interesting video showing how the city of Davao is monitored. 

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

There are both muslim and NPA guerila rural there. The muslims are at all sides, not sure if NPA is at the west side, but sure at the other sides.

For instance inside the border of what's counted as Davao "city" but RURAL rather far from the city houses, in the most south part of the "city" it was a fight with NPA some months ago.

NPA is new people's army with No Permanent Address......he, he. 

• Like 2