That Time Of The Month

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

That time of the month is prone to headaches, tummy aches and mood swings and can be downright messy but Christmas comes around every December so I would like to ask those who live in the Phils or are there at Christmas time; How do you and your family celebrate Christmas?

Do you celebrate in private or the whole family is there? the type of foods you have, when the celebration begins/ends and generally what do you do? Presents if any and where does the giving end.

Now for those who are not in the Phils at that time and want to talk about your Christmas please start a new topic as I want this to be about Christmas in the Philippines as the topic title suggests.   :)

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

That time of the month is prone to headaches, tummy aches and mood swings and can be downright messy

Tell me about it I got it Double this Weekend. 

:hystery:  :hystery:  JGF I will have to answer Tomorrow IF and When I get of the Floor from Laughing cos the Title has really Got a Sting that just can not be ignored  :thumbsup:

Jack :lol:

• Like 2

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Christmas here will be midnight meal Dec 24th just 3 of us ( myself-wife-and sister )

then depending on what time the wife wakes up ( normally 3-4 am ) it will be a normal day !

she will be washing-cooking-cleaning etc etc.

Then at around 9 am going by last year it will be non-stop children at the front gate for their Christmas sweets and money !!

then it will be a midday meal ( rice-chicken-fish ) and at around 5-6 PM the main meal !!

might be a Ham or Turkey pansit , chicken cordon Bleu !!  Broccolli and roast potatoes for me ( rice for them )

Goldilocks broken Glass ( yummy ) and a big creamy cake !!

we have already bought various goodies like Cheese ball and a fruit cake ( my idea ) lots of fruits etc etc.

but as the mother passed away recently things will be a little sadder.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Surprisingly, christmas just doesn't seem to be a big deal.  They love the 4 month celebration, but the day of... not much happens.  One year we went to Manila for christmas.  I asked if her family was ok with it - and she looked confused, like why would they care.  Last year we went to SM to shop, and I think we saw a movie.  Nothing special. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
 (it was MacDonald's last year    )  In short, I think Christmas is over-rated 

That's surprising, Mc Doos is not open Christmas day here. Yes I think Christmas is nothing special except for the kids but just looking at what others do in the Philippines.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

On Christmas day we will have a roast turkey lunch/dinner.We will watch the troublesome one open her presents and play with them. Watch a bit of TV maybe go to a bar later for a few beers. Nothing really special as it is business as usual here.I did get caught out one year as the shops closed early on Christmas eve and I had not got any groceries so we ended up in KFC for Christmas lunch with her mum and niece.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Christmas  Hmmmmmmmmmm A time of Give, Give, Give, here My First Christmas here all those years ago was an eyeopener.

having had 15 in Spain ( they celebrate the same way) I found it strange that the meals were just the same. The Festive Season was just not that Festive. No Turkey ( I introduced it the next year) I bought some Breeders and from the Original 7 they have about 40 at Mama's Place, we have one each festive party but as with many things, it is not the same type of Meat. 

OK let me tell you our Christmas day activities.

Up as norm at 6 am latest, ( me that is)

Breakfast as Norm.

The Beggars start about 7 am ( we bag up rice and Bits and Pieces. soap and a few Goodies for Grown ups and candy for the Kids.)

The Local Kids start about 8am and come all through the Day for a bag of candy and ™ organizes some novelties she enjoyed when Younger.

lunch unfortunately just Filipino Food as norm except, this year I will be Doing a Roast (Chicken and Turkey?)

I got hold of a couple of Xmas Puddings so this year We can enjoy a little Western fayre.

Don't get me wrong I have always enjoyed Christmas but here unless We make an effort to put a little spice into the day it is just Another day to our Loved ones.

Gift Giving is not an Option due to money and this I find sad but what can we do? We can't segregate to give to, this is just not the Filipino way, give one we must give all, this I certainly can't do now, I did in the Past when I was Working. Send maybe 800 euros here and my Wife would deal with it Now I am Afraid it is a purely Immediate family Thing.Only Mama comes and I am afraid that is it. 

I was called many things for the First couple of Years on this but as I explained (Why I don't know) You have no real Conception of Christmas Even your Shops are open. Just Another day, with an excuse to eat the same old Food.  

My Wife and Daughter can now Appreciate Christmas and I hope that once again this year it will be a good day but I am afraid to Admit it is only Going to happen here in Junob as at least the Husband has some Inspiration left.

Not meaning to be Negative but it is all a little Bland to say the least and the Only ones who enjoy are the beggars and the local kids who would have nothing if left to their own people.

All in All, we as a family make our own Fun and the Festivities are minimal  Each to our own I know but this is us. "It's just another day"

No work as such but Mine will still be up at 4 past to wash Clothes.

Jack

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
We can't segregate to give to, this is just not the Filipino way, give one we must give all...

We are just giving gifts to kids.  No adults.  Much easier - and cheaper.    :tiphat:

• Like 3