No Firearms But Bows Allowed?

Jake
Posted
Posted

Well. I want something for DISTANCE defence

What I would like to know is where your planning on living? Sabah? Why do you think you need a distance defense? Are you going to clear a perimeter around your property and keep it lit all night? With guards to watch it? Are you planning on living in such opulence that you are going to make yourself a prime target for thieves?

Frankly I believe you are over thinking this a bit. In my professional opinion, the best defense is not to be armed to the teeth, but to make your home (for example) 1.) not appear to be worth breaking into or 2.) Make it so difficult to access that it is not a target of opportunity, examples, bars on window, lighted yards and windows, sturdy gate and wall, trees or garbage cans kept away from walls (so they can not be used to hop over the wall), wire or glass on top of the wall. The vast majority of break ins are just that, a thief sees an easy in and out target and WHAM, he is in.

Now having said all that, if a person has such a business, or such a personality that makes people want to get him or what he has, well no matter how many guns, dogs, electrified fences, claymore mines, moats filled with alligators , ballista's, trebuchet's or nuclear weapons will keep them out. They will just bring more guns and people to make sure of success.

The trick of personal security here, in my opinion, is a quite life, don't antagonize people, don't show off, and don't break any laws.

But if you really want to build a secure place, give me a call, I will set you up with a 1st class defensive establishment.

I work cheap :cheersty:   

Our man Scott is a retired Sergeant Major, US Army.  He was the head MoFo, walks softly but carries a commanding voice that even the officers would fear his presence.  Knows how to deploy his troops and set up defensive perimeters (with booby traps).  

I don't think Scott will come cheap for his services.....seriously.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well. I want something for DISTANCE defence

What I would like to know is where your planning on living? Sabah? Why do you think you need a distance defense? Are you going to clear a perimeter around your property and keep it lit all night? With guards to watch it? Are you planning on living in such opulence that you are going to make yourself a prime target for thieves?

Frankly I believe you are over thinking this a bit. In my professional opinion, the best defense is not to be armed to the teeth, but to make your home (for example) 1.) not appear to be worth breaking into or 2.) Make it so difficult to access that it is not a target of opportunity, examples, bars on window, lighted yards and windows, sturdy gate and wall, trees or garbage cans kept away from walls (so they can not be used to hop over the wall), wire or glass on top of the wall. The vast majority of break ins are just that, a thief sees an easy in and out target and WHAM, he is in.

Now having said all that, if a person has such a business, or such a personality that makes people want to get him or what he has, well no matter how many guns, dogs, electrified fences, claymore mines, moats filled with alligators , ballista's, trebuchet's or nuclear weapons will keep them out. They will just bring more guns and people to make sure of success.

The trick of personal security here, in my opinion, is a quite life, don't antagonize people, don't show off, and don't break any laws.

But if you really want to build a secure place, give me a call, I will set you up with a 1st class defensive establishment. I work cheap

I'm planning to live RURAL with no neighbours in sight with at least 3 hektares (=30 000 sqm) to get some control over not geting neighbours with disturbing sounds to close  :)  which make they don't hear break ins in my house either (if they don't hear when the thiefs pass them driving to my house.)

It's more or less impossible to avoid being noticed when settling rural and being a foreigner   :mocking:    Extra hard when having business and need a some biger house (200 sqm) to get space enough for the family, office and business storage. Depending of which business I chose to start, but it can need a simple but rather big house for production too.

I hope I can afford a two storey house "impossible" to get in at the bottom floor except through rather strong doors, but possible to break in at second floor. This make an important defence advantage when being home. But if not having any useful defence against guns, then it's just a question of time until they can get in...   

Thomas it is quite clear you are just not understanding are you? or is it you just have to be right even when people quote a law that was given Personally by those that are responsible for it, When you come here you will find that the Internet is not always right. The gun laws are quite different to hunting Laws and I can tell you now, that anything we may want to do has a Licence issue attached, from fishing to game Hunting.To just about anything.

I Know  what we had to do for my Daughter to join the  Archery Club and that include a carry only License. Certainly not for hunting.

Now if you want to do harm to people that is up to you of Course but this is the Philippines and not Sweden or anywhere else in the World. Killing and saying I need it for defence is just Crazy

Shoot a bow and arrow and hurt some one and you are going to be in trouble, do it without the necessary Documentation and bigger problems will Follow. To me you are now just being silly on things and not listening to people who are doing things and Following the Law. Locals may get away with but we are Foreigners.

Go, try and buy a Longbow or a Cross bow and then tell them OH! I need it for Defence, Thomas they will laugh at you, believe me. We had to have the Membership Certificate from the Certified Archery Club  (Silliman)

Now I am done with this at this time as it seems all you want to do is argue against Rational Behavour.

ps what a Pity it had to come to some seemingly stern words.

You are corect, I don't understand if that law definition include bows or not.

But YOU don't seem to understand why I'm asking...

I try to check what weapons are allowed to HAVE at home, so it is there if/when some criminals arrive and try to get in when I'm at home.

Who said I will USE any weapon?    :mocking: 

In threatful situations it's often possible it's enough to SHOW access or just a tough face to make them chose an other target.  If that don't help - I'm good at aiming with both riftles and bows - I can perhaps convince them by from distance put a shot between their feet. I DON'T shoot good enough to shoot a cap off without hiting the head :lol:  (I grew up in a rough neighbourhood, so I have AVOIDED many threats by make them understand they better not bother me or them I care for...)

I remind you of (ex ? *) members of this forum, who told they live rural and were SCARED AWAY from their home in the Philippines by men armed with guns...

I'm not easy scared but I want to have something useful to defend with if the SAME threat will happen to me...

(In Sweden I live rural. Here I have a compeeting bow and a few throwing knifes. Once two criminals arrived with a covered pickup to make a burglery/robbery in my house, but I managed to scare them away WITHOUT showing any weapon. They got so scared so they broke some of my bushes when they tried to turn the car to fast. But it's easier to show a tough face if having defence resources   :mocking:

I don't believe they were members here, but one couple living in Negros Occidental was MURDERED a few months ago at their RURAL home.

*A (ex ?)  forum member told they were scared away from their rural home in Bukidnon, Mindanao, by some men with guns...

There are much different big risk in different parts of Phils, but there are risk with criminals everywhere, so better be prepared. That's why I'm checking possibilities...   :)

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
In Sweden I live rural.

First of all Thomas, please remember you will not be living in Sweden anymore :thumbsup: . And since you say you want live rural, really rural, you will be living in the Jungle :hystery: and here literally the law of the jungle applies.

It's more or less impossible to avoid being noticed when settling rural and being a foreigner

You are so right on this point Thomas, and believe me they will know exactly what weapons you have. down to the last arrow, throwing knife and air pistol. What I would like you to consider is what is known as the principle of "escalation of force". You have a knife, they will bring a gun. You have a rifle, they will bring two. (or more).

so better be prepared
There are IMO three very important preparations that can be made. 1) Deterrence, make your establishment as hard as possible to get into. 2) Buy some large tote bags to give to the thieves for them to carry your stuff away in. 3) Purchase some very good running shoes so that when the thieves are busy packing your stuff up you can RUN AWAY! (to paraphrase Monty Python). Because if they WANT your stuff, they WILL get it.

Consider this also. If you do Defend your stuff your most likely going to loose it anyway. If you hurt a local and God forbid kill one. How long do you think it will be before you are legally kicked out of the country.

So the Bottom line is your going to loose your stuff anyway.

((but seriously, if you want some tips on passive, non-lethal deterrents, let me know, ill be glad to help you out :thumbsup:  :cheersty:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

But YOU don't seem to understand why I'm asking...

Hmmmmmmmmm But I think we do Thomas, you are just Terrified of Life. . It will be your choice to live in the Sticks Think about the Lady you are with, how will she see all this defensive thing? If I was a Lady and reading all your Ideas I would certainly not want to share a life with you. Always looking over my Shoulder. Never being Trusted and No doubt not allowed to talk to anyone. For fear of My Husband /B/F Shooting them with whatever. Even running off with me. Trust man you need some trust! Be a little Cautious but Come on. Be Realistic. Please!

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
First of all Thomas, please remember you will not be living in Sweden anymore . And since you say you want live rural, really rural, you will be living in the Jungle and here literally the law of the jungle applies.
That's a reason why I want something for defence if needed.

Yes, I aim at living in "edge" of the Jungle or planted/thined forest. 

1) Deterrence, make your establishment as hard as possible to get into.
I hope I will afford to build making it very hard to get in at the BOTTOM floor to give time to defend with height advance from second floor.
Consider this also. If you do Defend your stuff your most likely going to loose it anyway. If you hurt a local and God forbid kill one. How long do you think it will be before you are legally kicked out of the country.
Well. It isn't sure it was I. Perhaps my wife will say it was her. And perhaps is was her   :)

Depending of business idea I will chose, some of them will need a guard. Mainly I think of one just calling me to warn me, when he see someone going towards the business or my house.  Depending of who that is, not sure I will want to give him a gun, because some guards have killed the one they are suppoused to protect...    

(E g a Swede in his diving business and a German just being outside his house in a subdivision!!!  :boohoo:

Perhaps one of the brothers to my wife suit as guard living at the connection to the public road, he seem both tough and reliable. But then I will need to treat my wife good enough for sure    :lol:

((but seriously, if you want some tips on passive, non-lethal deterrents, let me know, ill be glad to help you out
That can be interesting. With the height advantage making it take time for them to get in, I thought it can perhaps be enough to make some scare shots showing we can hit them if we try, but yes sure better if they can be made to leave without we have anything to shoot with. With what? Teargas? Poring toilet over them?   :mocking:

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Thomas, you are just Terrified of Life. It will be your choice to live in the Sticks
One more just STUPID coment...  

Why would I settle in the bush with no neighbours, if I would be scared of it?!

It's MUCH difference between being scared and being some cautious... 

Think about the Lady you are with, how will she see all this defensive thing?
What "all" ??!!

Hard to get in at the BOTTOM floor, plus something to defend with. Perhaps ONE dog just to have one telling me when someone arrive. Probably NOT camera for safety. NO iron bars at the windows at second floor (except perhaps covering a window reachable from the veranda.)

=That's LESS cost than some other forum members have...

If I was a Lady and reading all your Ideas I would certainly not want to share a life with you. Always looking over my Shoulder.
Never being Trusted and No doubt not allowed to talk to anyone. TWO more STUPID coments...

I have written in this forum I will make some precoutions BEFORE marriage. (Have the house in MY name, or have a solution through the business making most are mine, but automaticly more and more equal the more years we live together.)  Then she CAN'T just take it as it has happened to many other foreigners, who put all in gfs/wife's name...

So then I DON'T NEED to be suspicious DURING the marriage...   :mocking:

Why wouldn't I let her talk to people???!!! (The ONLY I don't want her to do concerning such is post things at Internet, which atract criminals.) IN OPPOSITE I ENCOURAGE her to manage more and more herself and become more and more INDEPENDENT aiming at she will manage to handle the business too before I die...  (She has some related business education allready. When kids are small, she just do some in the business to rest from the kids   :)   and get some brain exersise. When the kids get older, she will handle more and more in the business the more she get knowledge to do and the more I retire.)

Don't you know Swedes are known to be DEMOCRATIC leader??!  

Even in boss positions in businesses, much of the decision power are given to the employee.  (For instance in one regular work when I had a PR and distribution business, I had just told when the job need to be ready, and show them how it CAN be done, then I let decide when and how themselves. The process went customer > illustrator >  printer > chaufför > distributors WITHOUT I did anything. I just send the invoice and paid the salaries. And later one of "my" programmers, when I were develop boss for a client, stayed working for us 3 years, although Motorola offered him much higher salary, just because I let him decide much including leting him sleep late in mornings   :)    

So why wouldn't I let my wife talk to people??!!

chico2663
Posted
Posted

you can't own property in your name so goodluck stopping her if she devides to leave.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

you can't own property in your name so goodluck stopping her if she devides to leave.

Well. That's NOT corect.

Foreigners CAN own:

A/ WHOLE HOUSE at LEASED land.

B/ Max 40 % of the TOTAL PROPERTY if land is involved, but then it has to be through a company. Some conditions need to be fullfiled though.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
A/ WHOLE HOUSE at LEASED land.

Thomas, when is it going to sink into that thick Scandinavian skull (I can say that because my ancestors come from solid Viking stock, and the number wooden planks busted on my head could build a good size house :1 (103): ) that at this stage of the Philippine Democratic experiment, the law as your so fond of quoting, really doesn't matter that much. 

For example: My wife inherited her mother's land and house, both in her name. We tore down the old house and built new. Now you are CORRECT when we built the new house, I could have put the house title in MY name. But when we look at the reality of the situation, what difference does it make? IF she threw me out of the house, and got a restraining order on me (or a bunch of relatives more like) to keep me out of the property, I would most like be living in an appartlette, spending any funds I have left and die of old age before any legal resolution in my favor worked its way through the court system. (if it even ruled in my favor)

Another thing to think about, why would you want to advertise that a house is owned by a RICH KANO? IMHO the lower profile the better.

But more importantly, again in my opinion, most expats are married to younger women who will out live them. Why in the world would we want to make thing more difficult for them in the event of our passing? (transferring titles, inheritance laws and all that).

The answer normally is "TO PROTECT MYSELF IN THE EVENT OF......." well the answer to that is, if there is the slightest doubt in a persons mind about the state of the relationship. Don't buy property or build a house. As has been mentioned on this forum and others many times, the Expat almost always looses no matter what the law says.

• Like 3

chico2663
Posted
Posted

I can tell you i am good looking. It doesn't matter if no bride chooses me. So what you have a nice

house on some leased land that she is living in with another man.The laws favor the locals not the kano.

When she kicks you out than you can take her to court but it isn't like the laws of your land. You have to

pay everyone and you still may not get t back. THere are stories of people going into these situations where

the guy was as naive as you are.A decade later he is out the money,time and broke. But do what you want and

pray you have a good one. But when it goes wrong; please come back and tell us what a dipstick you are.The

reason I know is because of 3 generations of inter-marrying into the island. These guys aren't gonna stir

you wrong.They are trying to give you help by boots on the ground!

• Like 4