Does Anyone Recognise This Species Of Spider?

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

I found this crawling across my lounge floor last night. It's about an inch in diameter and black or very dark brown in colour. I have never seen one like it before, and perhaps more significantly, neither has my my good lady, who generally is very knowledgable about such things.

Does any one recognise it, and should I be worried if it has siblings residing in our house?

I have tried googling spiders of the Philippines but nothing seems to match it.

Thanks,

Ken

post-4643-0-76797400-1449489719_thumb.jp

post-4643-0-25509300-1449489757_thumb.jp

Edited by Huggybearman

frozenmystic28
Posted
Posted

I found this crawling across my lounge floor last night. It's about an inch in diameter and black or very dark brown in colour. I have never seen one like it before, and perhaps more significantly, neither has my my good lady, who generally is very knowledgable about such things.

Does any one recognise it, and should I be worried if it has siblings residing in our house?

Thanks,

Ken

wolf spider?

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=dark+brown+wolf+spider&rlz=1C1KMZB_enPH594PH603&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjCwIiE68nJAhUFppQKHf3XD3kQ_AUIBygB&biw=1366&bih=667#imgrc=Y_tPu_H-97QrCM%3A

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Thanks,

Ken

wolf spider?

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=dark+brown+wolf+spider&rlz=1C1KMZB_enPH594PH603&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjCwIiE68nJAhUFppQKHf3XD3kQ_AUIBygB&biw=1366&bih=667#imgrc=Y_tPu_H-97QrCM%3A

Looks very much like a candidate. However, it seems the Wolf Spider is confined to North America.

Ken

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Hard to tell when it is shrivelled up and dead but did it look like this when alive

11000133313_330edc7ff3_m.jpg

This is a pic of a common huntsman (sometimes called cane spider) and I have noticed them to be particularly prominent in Dec and Jan.  They get very large.

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hard to tell when it is shrivelled up and dead but did it look like this when alive

11000133313_330edc7ff3_m.jpg

This is a pic of a common huntsman (sometimes called cane spider) and I have noticed them to be particularly prominent in Dec and Jan. They get very large.

It's not the Huntsman spider. It's much smaller than that. Neither is it the common house spider or the small jumping spider, all of which we have from time to time. Sorry about the quality of the pic. The coin by the way is a 25 centavos to give an idea of scale.

Frozenmystic28's suggestion of the Wolf spider looked very similar.

Ken

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

Show it to a couple of the local young boys.  If they are into spider fighting, they are probably the experts in local spiders.

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Yeah, that's called the

"stayitius awayloclicus

• Like 2

frozenmystic28
Posted
Posted

Thanks,

Ken

wolf spider?

Looks very much like a candidate. However, it seems the Wolf Spider is confined to North America.

Ken

Commonly found, but not endemic... I think.  :) 

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Thanks,

Ken

wolf spider?https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=dark+brown+wolf+spider&rlz=1C1KMZB_enPH594PH603&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjCwIiE68nJAhUFppQKHf3XD3kQ_AUIBygB&biw=1366&bih=667#imgrc=Y_tPu_H-97QrCM%3A

Ken

Commonly found, but not endemic... I think.  :)

I don't think it's the brown recluse spider. The colouring is too light.

Are you referring to that or the Wolf Spider that is commonly found here?

The latter certainly looks the most like the one in question.

Ken