Sta Lucia Ilocos Sur Bike Race.

chris49
Posted
Posted
My report as written to my MTB forum and Facebook closed group.

After the asthma I had 6 days of riding, 3 very hard sessions. Morning of the event I rode 14 km down to the meeting point. Never felt better. Then we had a 3 hour ride in a truck to the event, 30 minutes food break.

After a long pre amble with a few speeches in Ilocano it was nearly 2 PM before we started. Here'sds my report up to the point where I was forced to abandon the race.

Phenomenal day out, we got back home 9 PM, when Gina had to ride the motorcycle down to pick me up.

I got off to a slow start at Sta Lucia, immediately dropping to last in the Over 50 group. Then I got clicked in and made a big effort to get back. I caught No.105 and he looked surprised as I went past. The first few km is straight tarmac, then we turn sharp left onto barangay roads, but cemento. No hills, but sharp cornering. I passed another rider, then got No, 94 easily. Then I could see 4 to 5 riders ahead, so I made another effort to join them but sat behind this time. Then we go off road for a while and no passing as we cross the river first time, no problem per training this week, I used the granny gear, thanks to pare Rex and Rolly and crossed 2 water sections. Then some stones and a small hump and back to the off road. Loose sand but not much. I know I'm stronger than these guys so I go to the front and only one rider goes with me. Then we go round and start hitting those humps, but no problem, I move over let the other guy do some work. Already passed 30 minutes, then 60 minutes and we crossed the water again. I called out "saan" and someone pointed me to the shallow part.

We got out of that, then a few sharp turns and I'm leading again. We passed a few more but kids riding slowly. Now comes a few hills, so I drop to granny again and spin up, easily get up first but the other guy, No 114 gets me on the descent, and he got ahead on the off road, next hill I catch him again, but now I drop the chain and have to spin it back on, and he goes ahead. Off road I cant see him, but we hit some tarmac and I catch him again. Now we covered 27 km, so I eat my banana and a snickers and start sipping coke. I feel great and now we go alongside the river over sand and I catch No 101, but he stays with me. Go across the water and 114 gets ahead again.

No we go off road and sandy, and back to cement. As soon as we hit cement I go ahead again. I felt absolutely great and I wonder if I can go harder. So I push hard but 114 stays on me and I cant shake him. Wait for a hill a drop him this time.....so there's a hill coming up and I spin over the top and I know I'm stronger. All cemento now with a few sections of gravel only. Dropped 101, but 114 is still with me.

Nearly 2 hours 39.9 km and another hill to my advantage, going extremely well and pass a girl, but she looks lost....never mind I spin hard and drop to the middle ring......AND LOST ALL POWER TO THE DRIVE TRAIN AT THAT POINT.

Big regret my race is over and I'm not even tired

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
drop to the middle ring......AND LOST ALL POWER TO THE DRIVE TRAIN AT THAT POINT.

Hey Chris,

Is it my understanding that it was a mechanical problem?  Also, are there any directional signs along the trails?  How about a way station(s) along the way?  Do you have support vehicles that follow the race?

Sounds like a great ride and you feel even better that you are back in the saddle again, so to speak.  Well done Chris!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Sounds like a good time and a great hobby :thumbsup: . Wish my wife would let me ride :unsure:

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

drop to the middle ring......AND LOST ALL POWER TO THE DRIVE TRAIN AT THAT POINT.

Hey Chris,

Is it my understanding that it was a mechanical problem?  Also, are there any directional signs along the trails?  How about a way station(s) along the way?  Do you have support vehicles that follow the race?

Sounds like a great ride and you feel even better that you are back in the saddle again, so to speak.  Well done Chris!

Yeah, too much water entered the rear hub which caused the axle to disengage.

I raced with directional signs previously and they are very hard to pick out. Barangay volunteers and spectators point the way and there are motorcycles on course. Motorcycle with an experienced rider because of the rough roads. Motorcycle can block you, that's why it needs a skillfull rider. One or 2 trucks sweep the back of the race, and the last truck did pick me up. There are hundreds of spectators usually around the small barangays.

You must carry your own supplies eg  coke, hard candy, bananas....they hand out water in plastic bags. No stopping allowed unless you get completely off the road.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Still training.

Next event at Batac on 19th December. A shorter course, with more technical difficulty.

I do not ignore advice to take it easy, currently have 4 rids in a week with 3 rest days. Resting more does help, but one day is plenty.

Riding in a group and sticking somewhere towards the back, but leading out the last few riders.

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

BATAC MTB 24 kms ALL TERRAIN.

Another good turn out for LCT with John "De Animal" Burgos, first and Oren Orencio Vaquilar Jr., 2nd. And then because medals were generously handed out, Danilo Padua Viesta, Oscar Jimenez Viloria, Elmer Nebab, Chris Arrowsmith all were awarded. Christopher John, Francis Erickson Corpuz and his son, also podium placed. Support crew Rex David Fernandez and Mang Bangero father of Jesslin also present.

Men's Over 50 was the last group, ahead of BMX and Junior. Fast start and I dropped back to last, but I rode back onto 3 riders. And ARI riders also there but not sure what category because they rode together and stopped few times. Just a few km and then some moderate hills. I went high RPM per plan and passed 5 or 6, until the down hill when they passed me again. But back on the uphill I got a gap and and started feeling good. Suprisingly I saw teammates Danny and Elmer and went up on the back of them.They were 5th and 6th but Danny had trouble with his chain and Elmer's front tire half flat, so that is why.

Then the race marshall directs us to the off road which is sharply up and all riders dismount to walk up. One guy ran and passed me, while the BMX guys picked up their bike and ran. No problem I held my place until single track but 2 ARI riders zoomed past me. Left turn now and I repass one guy and for some reason the ARI riders stopped and I passed them.....then I zoom ahead and hit cement, no one in front and no one behind me.

I asked someone and he says I missed a turn. DAM have to go back and lost all contact with the field. While riding back and getting on track meet the ARI riders who keep stopping...???, but when we hit the off road the

dissappear.After not finishing last week, mini crisis, but I knew I had to finish this one.

Passed a rider up top of a hill who was cramping, and then start riding hard but can't see anyone....so riding alone and trying to see the directional arrows. And a few spectators who pointed out the course.

Last water crossing, but it's tricky so dismounted and got across, but sharply uphill. Now I'm completely alone riding across single track, rough but rideable.

I was not tired but the course is difficult so had to slow down. Then over a shaky wooden bridge with no siderail and then round and round until we hit the main road.

Just a short ride up to the finish.

Then "the kid" gets ahead of me and we hit some traffic, next thing we are crossing the finish line. Almost last

but not quite as several riders abandoned and a few came in later.

Nice event. As last year it was difficult to pick out the arrows and even being an Arrowsmith did not help. Being color blind to red and green was also a problem.

But thanks to everyone, who supported me, and my teamates who put up a good performance, on behalf of LCT, and President Ian Friala Lagasca.

Love
Haha
Wow
Sad
Angry
CommentShare
Edited by chris49
  • Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

post-4921-0-08579800-1450610296_thumb.jp