Argumentative Members (Or Just Ex-Pats)

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

Jake, I'd post the drill Sergeant scene from Full metal jacket in the barracks (language, I guess is just a bit much-lol) but it would send along the message to those trolls not to confuse your kindness for weakness-but it fits-lol

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Now, Tom, were you speaking about me? Lol! I admit it! Sometimes I get carried away. When I have the facts and figures lying open in front of me (thank you, www.chanrobles.com), it's hard to be argued about. Where I lose it? Insult the Philippines... Or insult my girlfriend... Those are 2 things I have trouble walking away from... But I am working on it! :)

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
From my time on this forum and others I see a pattern.

Wow.  That's deep.  We may have to change your name to JollyGoodPhilosopher  :hystery:

But you are right, of course.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Now, Tom, were you speaking about me? Lol! I admit it! Sometimes I get carried away. When I have the facts and figures lying open in front of me (thank you, www.chanrobles.com), it's hard to be argued about. Where I lose it? Insult the Philippines... Or insult my girlfriend... Those are 2 things I have trouble walking away from... But I am working on it! :)

Im speaking in general. There's nothing wrong with defending what you believe is fact, all I said that if people can not agree then why get upset over it and move on.

Wow.  That's deep.  We may have to change your name to JollyGoodPhilosopher 

I'm just saying it how I see it. Others might see things differently. Look at that dress a few months back where everyone was divided on what color it was.  :)

http://mashable.com/2015/02/26/what-color-dress-blue-black-white-gold/

chris49
Posted
Posted
The other thing I see on forums, blogs, vlogs etc is the experienced expat believing that he/she is always correct because they live there but many of the long term expats from what I see are often behind the times, they often do not keep up with changes to immigration laws for one example

Yes guilty as charged. I did give anecdotal experience, but I actually did my 13 a in 2010, renewed in 2015. And on the Balikbayan visa questions....I failed to note changes in the interim. But hopefully I didn't flog the dead horse, at least I don't do it now.

Do we actually have trolls here? Or just angry people who don't like the answers they get and quickly pull up stumps during the first post. Some of the stuff is interesting, character revealing, but from JGF's standpoint, he can't have his forum turn into a free for all.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The other thing I see on forums, blogs, vlogs etc is the experienced expat believing that he/she is always correct because they live there but many of the long term expats from what I see are often behind the times, they often do not keep up with changes to immigration laws for one example

Yes guilty as charged. I did give anecdotal experience, but I actually did my 13 a in 2010, renewed in 2015. And on the Balikbayan visa questions....I failed to note changes in the interim. But hopefully I didn't flog the dead horse, at least I don't do it now.

Do we actually have trolls here? Or just angry people who don't like the answers they get and quickly pull up stumps during the first post. Some of the stuff is interesting, character revealing, but from JGF's standpoint, he can't have his forum turn into a free for all.

I hope you understand I was not pointing fingers at anyone and we're not talking about just this forum. Youtubers seem to make more mistakes than anything. Bloggers often just have their side of things as that's what a blog is.

Seems I might have to re do my post as maybe my points are not understood.

We get trolls from time to time but also I think some are just bad mannered people who won't fit in here. No we can not have a free for all, there are other forums that thrive on that but what I prefer is good info rather than all out fighting but sure at times things can get heated and that's the time to self moderate and move on to the next topic.

Im sure many think I sit here all day reading posts and topics but it's not true, I have a job to go to but today home early so when I have time I read what might interest me. New members posts are moderated so an Email comes to me which I read if the posts has not already been approved by someone else, that's is one way I might get a feel for what is a problem member or topic so I might take more interest but there is a huge amount of unread stuff on my end so if members are arguing I am not always aware of what's going on. Long posts and some that are too hard to try to understand I just skip so if there is a problem I am unaware of anyone can contact me so I can look into it but hopefully most can just sort themselves out on this forum.

• Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

There is knowledge and there is experience.

I am an ex resident, and a reasonably frequent visitor, with a bunch of Filipino and expat resident friends whom I chat to. My knowledge of the laws and regulations as they pertain to resident foreigners is therefore hopelessly out of date,

My sense of how the expat should conduct himself or herself is a different thing. Based on the views of very long term expats with successful businesses in the Philippines, I urge extreme caution, meticulous compliance and the studied avoidance of disputes whilst making it clear where lines are drawn.

It is easier to give this advice than to follow it.

I consider myself quite well informed on the political issues*, and my understanding of the Filipino psyche is subject to constant review and improvement!   

* I am an LP supporter but I share a bed with a Duterte supporter!  
"In the days of my youth, I followed the law

And I argued each case with my wife

The positive strength that it gave to my jaw

Has lasted the rest of my life!"

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
It is easier to give this advice than to follow it.
Never a truer word written or said well done mate
  • Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well. As far as I know I have been WRONG concerning TWO juridical questions:

1. When I STARTED reading the laws, I thought it was possiible to lease land from the wife signed after the marriage too. Now I believe that's wrong   :)    (But I have found a solution, which I have told in some topics.)

2. I had read about VISA, but I didn't know that part was REPLACED by a NEW law some months before I answered. That error I ADMITED directly.

The other thing I see on forums, blogs, vlogs etc is the experienced expat believing that he/she is always correct because they live there but many of the long term expats from what I see are often behind the times, they often do not keep up with changes to immigration laws for one example, they often might be quite knowledgeable in their area but cant seem to realize that in other parts of the country
Yes. I have noticed some such claim I'm wrong about some things, when I'm surely CORECT:

1. There ARE cells where the Police can put e g violent drunks, even if an expat claim there aren't any...   :)

2. Some seem to think some things are legal just because they know someone who haven't been caught doing it !!!  :lol: And they go on saying I'm wrong even when I posted QUOTES of the relevant LAWS!!!

As I have said before, some living there surely know THEIR NEIGHBOURHOOD GOOD, but don't seem to know much about other parts of the Philippines. A guarded subdivision don't have much in common with most of the Philippines... 

--

I joined a forum about Philippine law with almost only Filipinos to LEARN things I don't know. (But I read the law texts often, NOT just trusting what they say although many of them are law students or even practicing, at least if I found it odd, or if it's something which can become very important for me. During I have read there, sometimes I see questions I can the answer to, so then I have answered them. Several FILIPINOS seem to find my answers good, some of them have thanked me in PMs and even asked me things PERSONALY instead of posting their questions in the forum !!!  (But mostly I refer them back to the forum, because me knowing SOME laws, DON'T mean I can all  :lol:    

After I answered a question, comenting I thought the "suprice" concern was common knowledge, a Filipino asked me where I live. He found it remarkable I know things about the Philippines, which some Filipinos don't know just because it happen at an other island.

I concentrate at laws concerning business, tax and property looking for solutions I would like to use myself.

Some forum member expats surely know BETTER than I about VISA and such, at least about the VISA type they use themselves.

The labour laws I hope my future wife will take care of so I don't need to   :mocking: