The Private Hospital Dilema. Spin Off Thread.

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

Nothing to add Chris, actually just wanted to say what a great post,  particularly for us newbies, very informative.

Many thanks sir.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Great post Chris ..... I recently was just hospitalized twice in less than a month for a total of 9 days .... I really found no great discrepancy in the charges I received during my stay .... true I didn't get as much of a deduction as I'm sure others have gotten ..... while I'm sure I was charged full price but I also saw discounts given beside some of the charges (see the post I made on my first stay .... Adventist hospital) I think where we get tagged real good is by the doctors as there is no cap put on their charges ..... if you are a citizen you can make tawad (bargain) sometimes as much as half ..... while my doctors gave me a discount on my bill the bill came from the hospital and unlike the US where the bill comes from the doctors office and the hospital has no idea what they charge .....

As was the case of when they put my pacemaker in .... the surgeon told me it was a "package deal" .... and included the cost of the pacemaker .... my cardiologist .... the gas passer ..... (no not you Jake) and the surgeon ...... he also told me if we went with payment through the hospital they would tack on an additional 27% ..... true or not .... I have no way of knowing ..... I do know that the above doctors did receive payment by me through the hospital .... double dipping ..... again not sure but that charge might have been for the doctors visits while in the hospital .....

I will post a complete break down of my charges for the Riverside hospital as I did for the Adventist hospital ..... difference is I didn't get a detailed statement from the Adventist hospital ..... will try and post it in a different post here in this thread .... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Chris ... not trying to hijack your post but just thought if you don't care I will post my costs for both my hospital stays for those that have some healthcare experience you may just find this useful .... if you do mind admin can put this under a new heading .... Adventist had no way to give a detailed print out where as Riverside did ....

First is the bill I got from the Adventist Hospital just so you can compare prices

post-11-0-55166000-1449728537_thumb.jpg 

This is the bill for the pacemaker .... surgeon received p70,000 ... other 2 received p25,000 each ..... pacemaker was p180,000 ...... (sorry edited for personal reasons)

The following is an itemized bill from Riverside Hospital .... happy reading ....  :mocking:

post-11-0-10899200-1449728761_thumb.jpg  post-11-0-30386300-1449728794_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-45061800-1449728824_thumb.jpg   post-11-0-19095800-1449728855_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-62597600-1449728895_thumb.jpg  post-11-0-97214300-1449728928_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-37829600-1449728961_thumb.jpg  post-11-0-58663400-1449729043_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-04173400-1449729069_thumb.jpg

There were other expenses like the ambulance (to transfer me from Adventist to Riverside) and misc. lab tests and medicines ..... but you can get a good picture of what it would cost to stay in a pretty decent hospital .... the care was great except for my stay on the 4th floor private room ... heart monitor quit working and no matter what I did they just ignored me ..... this was critical as it was right after my pacemaker was put in and I spent the first night in ICU ..... I requested a transfer from the 4th floor to the fifth ...... and was very very satisfied ..... :dance:

:cheersty:

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

Critical data Mike, I thought of you when I posted. Yes mate anything you can add maybe helpful.  Needing a cardiologist really put you in a position where you had to go private. Saan Adventist?  I'm impressed they did all that with out referral to Metro Manila.

Good the pacemaker was available.

What was the total? Gives people an idea to have emergency cash available when they come over, I usually say $20 k US not to be touched. I had way over that when I came, unfortunately not now.

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted

This is a great topic Chris. One that retired expats need to consider before they need major medical services.

Thanks for posting the detailed billing Mike S.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Disclaimer: I have a medical background, so it might be easier for me to sort through some of this stuff.

For life threatening emergencies, if there is any chance of survival, you would need to be in a medical center ASAP. For other cases there are hundreds, probably thousands of smaller private hospitals and clinics, and government hospitals in every municipality of the Philippines.

The top consultant doctors in the Philippines work privately or in a medical center. Government doctors working fulll time, do moonlight in private hospitals. Usually under a deal with there collegues to work or be on call several days in a row, then have equivalent time off.

Many Filipino's will report directly to a private hospital in the belief that the treatment is better. True enough, the private hospitals have CT Scanners, Ultrasound, Echo, ECG, advanced labs, and a general 24 hour availability. Government hospital services are more 8-5, with no on call.

Sis is Law was getting abdominal pain around time of her period. She insisted her husband to take her to a private hospital, before she even came back I predicted. Ultrasound done....negative...800 pesos.

Ate Remy my good friend was bitten by a dog. She was taken to a private hospital for Rabies Vaccine No.1, and Tetanus, and wound cleaning....2600.  And a similar case at St Lukes was billed 14,000....we took Ate to the government animal bite center. Three visits for Rabies No.2-3-4...all free. Each province has at least one such center. Also found out at the same time....Senior Citizen with a Senior ID but no Phil Health, since 2014, Phil Health is applied automatically.

My kids vaccinations, all free at Barangay Health Center....if private 300-500 each. It was recently revealed that the private hospitals can apply to the government for free vaccines. Yet they were still charging for the service.

My broken arm. I was sent for an X Ray late night at a private clinic. Ortho guy on call, Head of Ortho in a government hospital, offered me an emergency operation that night for 100k. I asked to see the X Ray and refused further treatment...signed myself out. Had another x ray a week later, no surgery was indicated for a non displaced fracture,

In short. As soon as you report to the hospital they have got you. They either note you are are foreigner or include in the interview questions about who will pay the bill. If the patient points to an OFW or any connection to a foreigner, the process begins.

Open for discussion if any.

Chris,

This is very good information.  But I am a little confused.  Am I getting this right, you are suggesting to save some money on non-life threatening injuries or illness we should enter into government hospitals and get acceptable treatment?  Sorry but sometimes my thick skull misses things.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
Gives people an idea to have emergency cash available when they come over, I usually say $20 k US not to be touched. I had way over that when I came, unfortunately not now.

Chris,

So what would you recommend as a minimum now for a medical reserve?  Per person or any difference for family?  My wife has been telling me P 1m.  I was thinking this may be sufficient but maybe it should be much more. 

virginprune
Posted
Posted

This is certainly a very good thread for all people to read. On a personal note, my gf and I both had two hospital stays during November, totalling 10 days as inpatient. She was able to avail of her Philhealth, unfortunately I did not have it, rectified now. Total cost was close on 100,000p, which really brought home to me how easy it is to part with cash over healthcare here.

One thing I did notice as well was that even though I used Visa for the hospital bills, the doctors fees had to be paid in cash. Is this usual or is this practise confined to the hospital I used?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I used Visa for the hospital bills, the doctors fees had to be paid in cash. Is this usual or is this practise confined to the hospital I used?

Very Usual all round in my Experience, Seems that way they have a Tax avoidance and also People can't keep a Track where they are Moonlighting to.

They have a Poor paid Job at a Hospital and then Do the Private stuff cash in hand.

To me though should anything go wrong and it can and sometimes does. I have known of One Instance the Doc Denied everything, and off they go into the Night. No signatures on anything. Not saying all are like this but it always makes me Wonder, Would you buy a Second hand Car off these Guys if they are not upfront.

That's me though, maybe I am looking at this from a Suspicious Mind.

Jack

• Like 3