Hooked On A Salary... Can't Retire!

bows00
Posted
Posted

I know this topic has been addressed... many times... but I need a kick in the butt... so here is my story...

It all started with a friendly conversation with a friend in a bar, after a few drinks, he asked "so what gets you up in the morning?"  And i couldn't come up with a  half decent answer other than it is what I do... i go to work... for money... at 54, how pathetic is that?  I have no wife, no kids, but yes, I am married... TO MY JOB!!  I have been a mechanical engineer for the Navy for 31 years... although I take pride in my work, I have always felt that it has never been my calling to me an engineer.  I am in it for the money.  I am struggling with leaving a $100K per year job and retire with a measly pension to start my second life there...

This website has been an inspiration to pursue my next life there, but I am still struggling to make that jump...  so again, please do some butt kicking here... mine!!

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I hear you, and its hard to think leaving security, something you have known for years and somewhere SAFE too, 

But there comes a time to say sod it and go,

My pensions are crap and i am too young to draw my state pension, that is why i am still here working hard saving harder so i can take the leap before the  nine years i have to wait for the said pension,

Only you can decide where it suits yourself , many can help

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Maybe a mail order bride from the Philippines would be the way to go. Nothing wrong with living in Hawaii. Jake is your neighbor. 

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted

at 54, how pathetic is that? I have no wife, no kids

I can only ask you what's holding you back? 54 is not that old, but 65 or older will be more difficult.

Delayed gratification doesn't work. But then on $100k, why aren't you hooked up in Hawaii?

• Like 3