Starting My 13A Visa Process

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Since we are planning our move on April 28th 2016 I thought I better get started on the 13a visa now.

Many of us have gone through the process of a US K-visa or whatever is needed for your home country when you brought your wife or girlfriend home.  Well, upon initial first look at the process for the Philippine 13a visa it is very similar in which you need many documents, forms, and medical tests.  Actually, it appears to me to be a little simpler,..maybe.  My reason for doing this before going, verses after arrival, is I want to avail to the tax/duty free import of our personal and household goods.  I also think it will be a little cheaper for me to do it here in the US and a little less running.  If all goes well I will make only one trip to the Philippine Embassy in Washington DC, ( about 80 min. drive) instead of several trips to BI in Manila.

Anyway I also wanted to get copies of my daughter's Philippine birth certificate to save travel around Manila.  A few key strokes to ecensus and one week later Fed-Ex in the drive with 2 copies of her BC!

Also we will be applying for my wife's and daughter's Philippine passports at the same time as my visa.

So, the first issue I run into was on the Medical Examination of Visa Applicant form.  Among other things it requests chest x-ray, blood serology, urine and stool tests.  Sounded easy enough until I called a lab to ask for prices.  Seems the lab needs specific tests to run.  I called the embassy and got lucky with a real person a the visa desk.  When I asked what blood tests should be done he stated,"whatever your doctor requests for your annual check-up".  Well that really leaves it open.  So I took my form to my doctors office and asked if he could order the tests I need.  After the tests are done I hope we all can make a trip to the embassy in early January. 

Oh, I also asked at the embassy what time frame I should apply for the visa.  I was told once issued it is good for one year and can be used at anytime after issued.  However the longer you wait to leave after issued, the shorter the time in the Philippines you will have before your renewal.

I'll keep you posted as we progress along.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Triple LIKE Officer Danny!  

Nothing like planning early and setting up contingency plans, just in case.  Sort of like pre-check dives before heading into the unknown and of course, to eliminate crisis management at the last minute.  

Well done sir.

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

not sure if things have changed but when me and the wife retired here in Oct 2011

I had all the tests done ( for free ) wife worked in the NHS ! :lol:  funny thing was the Philippines Embassy in London

insisted that all copies of the the doctors tests inc the Xray should be scanned and  transferred to a CD which we did.

when we got to the Immigration Dept in Manila everything went fine until I had to go to the medical dept !!

Which was still running windows 98 and the PC couldnt read the CD !! mind you the Doctor apologised and just signed

the forms !! Just a Taste of things to come I thought !! :1 (103):

Now its the Annual report in Binan which is a breeze !

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Just got back from the Dr. Office.  He completed the form and gave it to me along with last month blood and urine tests.  Gave me an order for the stool and chest x-ray.  The results will be sent to my doctor and he will call me when there and I should be done with the medical.

Got a call just minutes ago that my police clearance is ready to pick up at my old office(retired).  I'll pick that up later and take to the court house for authentication $10.00 fee. Then will send to Sec of State of Maryland for next authentication.  That fee is either $25 or $50.  I forget right now.

Well I feel things are moving at a better pace than I expected.  Still planning to wait to early January to make the trip to Washington DC.  Will have to take my daughter out of another day of school for that trip.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
intrepid
Posted
Posted

All my medical results are in and good! Stool tests without insurance were $26.00  The chest x-rays were $51.  The blood and urine test my Dr. used my October 2015 results and gave me copies of them.  I can't believe the Medical only cost me $77.00.

I did have to have my photo retaken.  $15.00 at Sam's Club.  I got six because 4 are required for the visa application and I always seem to need extra for something.  The first time I had them taken I did not remove my glasses.  When going back over the application I saw where it said no glasses :no: .  Wasted $15.00 on that one.  But at least it's done now.

My wife and I went through the check list and it appears to me we have everything needed now for the visa application and her and our daughter's Philippine passports.  Trip to DC on Monday.  If all goes well there I may be in a good enough mood to have a nice dinner in the city.  Otherwise I'll just want to get out of there.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Today was our planed date to drive to Washington DC Philippine Embassy and submit my application for my 13a visa and my wife and daughter Philippine passport.  Because of some unrelated issues we got a late start and did not arrive until almost 1030am.  Took our number and waited.  Waited some more and finally at about 430pm was finally called.  There were so many people and so much noise I could hardly hear the lady behind the glass.  I slid my papers under the window and after looking at just a few papers she slid them back and requested I get the doctors doctors signature notarized and then resubmit my application.  When asked if everything else was in order she said other documents were needed.  After requesting her to review the whole packet, she took them to another person who reviewed them and and this time said only needed item was the doctor signature notarized.  So another trip will be required.  I have looked over the medical form and also all the instructions but could not find anywhere the requirement of the doctors signature to be notarized.  Oh well.  The good news was the girls were able to apply for their passports.  Finally got out of the office at 640pm.  I am guessing all this waiting is practice for the real thing. :1 (103):

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I am guessing all this waiting is practice for the real thing

The staff are surely trained to do things in the Philippine way  :hystery:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
There were so many people and so much noise I could hardly hear the lady behind the glass. 

That's strange. One wouldn't think there would be that many wanting to get into the Philippines.

Stool tests without insurance were $26.00

Thats risky with no insurance. Do you know what happens to that stuff if its dropped.  :6:

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

There were so many people and so much noise I could hardly hear the lady behind the glass. 

That's strange. One wouldn't think there would be that many wanting to get into the Philippines.

Stool tests without insurance were $26.00

Thats risky with no insurance. Do you know what happens to that stuff if its dropped.  :6:

Dropping it is not the problem.  It's when we step in it,...which seems like I do all the time! :th_unfair:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)

Time to update!

Went back to the Embassy on January 3rd and submitted my application along with the doctors signature notarized. Waited about 15 minutes to be called to the window.  The clerk said she would take to the back office to be reviewed and someone would be out shortly to interview me.  20 minutes later a gentleman called me to the window and said all was in order and all that was left for me to do was pay $150. use cash only!  I knew that.  He further stated it would be mailed next week.  Wasn’t too sure where it was being mailed.  No matter, two days later on Thursday January 5th I received a packet in the mail from the embassy.  I at first thought my application was being returned to me for maybe something missing.  To my surprise, when opening it I found my passport with my visa inside along with a sealed packet stamped with a large note “PLEASE PRESENT THIS ENVELOPE TO THE IMMIGRATION OFFICER UPON ARRIVAL AT THE AIRPORT”.

Interesting the visa in my passport states under “visa category”, 13A.  It does not state Permanent Resident as I had hoped.  Also under “entries” it states single.  I am guessing this will change after I get to the BI.

Edited by intrepid
  • Like 2