Are You Really Happy Here.?

Jake
Posted
Posted

I am not really qualified to answer that, as I haven't lived here that long. But so far, my experience is a bit like the 'curates egg'.....good in parts. Sure there are things that take some getting used to, and often that leads to frustrations in daily living, but overall, I have to say that I have been pleasently surprised how I have settled here, and as a consequence I can say that I am happy and content here. Also, having travelled, worked and lived in many parts of the world, including India and Africa, I am fortunate to have a realistic expectation of what life would be like. If I was coming here straight off from somewhere like Europe, the US or Australia etc, then I think it would be much harder.

I think that having something useful to do each day, in my case a farming interest, contributes a lot to a sense of contentment. I find myself much happier here than I was in Thailand, primarily because of having something worthwhile and interesting to occupy my time. My good lady is also happier here than she was in Thailand and her happiness contributes greatly to mine.

Long may that feeling continue, but of course......that is today.....at 112.7! (Does that make me older than Jack?)

Ken

Great write up Ken!  A man of extensive travel and work history, seeing more of the world than the average navy sailor.  

Thank you for your wonderful insights!  Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Will we come back?

If you take her there on a 6 month visitors visa then you will be back.  If she becomes a resident, you may come back as visitors but she won't let you move her back here.

(Note this is just a prediction based on my own personal observations over the years and may not describe your situation actually, but I would be willing to put a small wager on it  :dance:  )

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
I am happy here, but sentimental as it sounds, give me a good wife and enough money to live comfortably a place to buy what I consider essential, and I'll be happy anywhere. The real beauty of this place is: if the relationship falls apart there is always another to bring you back into serenity.

Great answer

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have been here almost 3 years (Wow! Really?) I suppose the honeymoon is over - if I ever had one.  I tend to just cruise through life taking each day as it is.  Things just work out well.  Kind of like Homer Simpson - but with hair.  I never really had any magical "oh this is wonderful" but have been enjoying myself.  Not working is a huge plus!

I am content enough.  Although I would like to sleep past 0630 at least one day a week... those stereos come from 3 directions ha ha  I have lots of toys so the neighborhood kids like to come play. (dart board, magic tricks, juggling, balloon sculpting etc...).  They keep me occupied.

The budget could be a bit bigger, and will be in a few years. It is livable now, just no more trips for a while.

I do need to get out more. I enjoy walks, some cycling (still looking for nearby decent traffic), and swimming at high tide.  My wife enjoys naps ha ha... I should just go without her - which she would prefer, but I keep trying to get her to go with me.  So I end up not going out.  :tiphat:

• Like 3

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Yes. At least until the money runs out. Hopefully the children will be out of education by then and some of my money will be my own. One day I'll shoot my age on the golf course and then I'll be truly happy. :thumbsup:

All that's left then is the making it to 100 to die after sex with a teenager. :mocking:

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
I am content enough.  Although I would like to sleep past 0630 at least one day a week... those stereos come from 3 directions ha ha 

In my neighborhood, the cranked up radios all come on just before daybreak while its still dark. Guess they think they're doing everyone a favor by getting them out of bed to face the new day. Such kindness and consideration befuddles me. Sad to say, I doze back off despite their kind intent.... until the early  morning jets out of MNL start to arrive. I plug my ears for the landing and reverse thrusters. I doze back off again, lazy sod that I am. I'm pretty much inured to since our  sentry dogs usually sound the alarm throughout the night whenever a stray dog, cat,rat or whatever trips their wires. Sorry neighbors. Its their nature. I'm sure you understand that since I understand yours and make similar allowances for your peace and quiet when it conveniences me. Bahala na.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)

You know Jack, during my walk this afternoon (where I do most of my thinking and meditation) I was thinking about this and remembered what a wise old man once told me when I was in a really bad funk. He said:

Being mad, upset or discontent is caused by one of two things

1. You are afraid you are not going to get something you want. or

2. You are afraid someone is going to take something you have.

When I looked at him blankly he broke it down more simply for me, he said

Scott, you are either not getting your way, or you are getting something taken from you.

Again I gave him a the 1000 yard stare so with an exasperated sigh he said

Scott, your just a SPOILED BRAT!!!!

What a wise ole bird. :cheersty:

Edited by scott h
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Being mad, upset or discontent is caused by one of two things 1. You are afraid you are not going to get something you want. or 2. You are afraid someone is going to take something you have.

I would add a third, that I see happening all too often, and it is the easiest 'being mad' to control:

3. You get mad because someone else is getting something you did not really want but did not want "them" to have and now "they" have it you feel you need to get one too.

• Like 2