What Is It With The Locals And Electrical Spaghetti? ( Hanging Cables)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Not a rant, Just Telling a Story but I bet, I am not the only one to have this.

:unsure: Last night I asked my Electrician to come up and have a Chat about some work. We had a Dirty Kitchen built around the Water Pump, all Nice,  Durable Tiled Tops Tops and a Galvanized Roof. So we have a need to put Power in the Area as we have Blocked off the  Outside Light with the Roof, Not Brain Surgery but not my Line. OK so my wife decides 2 ceiling Lamps and 2 x 2 Outlets In Places that are convenient, No problem, we measure up what we Need, Cables, Conduit etc. plus the stuff required. Then I say now where do we get the Supply, I thought existing Kitchen Switch to arm it all and run on. Drop a Conduit from the Eve across about 2 meter strapped to the Room Support nice and Hidden No wait I say, Go from the Storeroom that has Power along the top of the Exterior wall and then Drop into the Kitchen OH Yeah! he said. but if I had not been quick enough to stop him he would, he tells me just Strung Cable across from the Main Kitchen, then done the Job Properly inside the Kitchen. :no: Lets get it right First time my friend.

One thing I hate, is exposed water Pipes and Electric cables yet they don't seen to know any better.( or do I mean they make do)

Not only That, but he is only 5'.2" His high enough, would have been disastrous for me at 6' Plus Carrying a Ladder or large Steps around Not to say, any untold Damage and problems caused by such Action. 

Anyway, I got through to him that that is what I want, the Cost well that's for me to worry about, 

Putting the Power on Top of the Wall means I can Tap into it when I build another Room which I will do later OH Yeah I see now.

Off he has gone to Get the Materials.post-2148-0-22343900-1449797377_thumb.jp he gets it right.

Jack :)

Morning all. :morning1:

• Like 4

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

we had the same problem when rebuilding our house we told the builder where we wanted the switches and outlets etc

he mumbled this and that, but my wife she may be short and small but she stands her ground and says it like it is !

the builder soon gave in and we have things exactly where we want them ! 

and one thing we learnt was buy all the fittings yourself that you need, and you wont have outlets-switches-reels of cable over etc.

which the builder says he can use at his other job !!

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

one thing we learnt was buy all the fittings yourself that you need, and you wont have outlets-switches-reels of cable over etc. which the builder says he can use at his other job !!

My Wife buys all the Stuff she took all the details to the Supplier and ordered them all he has to do is Pick them up. We made sure everything was for External use or who knows what we would end up with. :)

He is a Good Sparky but sometimes he just don't think.

Jack :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

My Wife buys all the Stuff

10 marks to my Wife. She ordered well and Bye George he Got it, I think he has actually got the Plot now, 9.5 marks to him too, lets see what he can pull out of the bag this Morning :thumbsup:  :t07051:  if he does well. :hohoho_smiley:

Jack :unsure:

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

we had the same problem when rebuilding our house we told the builder where we wanted the switches and outlets etc

he mumbled this and that, but my wife she may be short and small but she stands her ground and says it like it is !

the builder soon gave in and we have things exactly where we want them ! 

and one thing we learnt was buy all the fittings yourself that you need, and you wont have outlets-switches-reels of cable over etc.

which the builder says he can use at his other job !!

we now have a regular guy who works every weekend for us he is a builder at the sisters college where she teaches !

we pay him 500 pesos a day plus food, he builds units-walls-repairs roof-ceilings-cuts back the neighbours overhanging trees-this weekend he is replacing the guttering on the mothers house which we are repairing bit by bit.

he starts at 8am and finishes at 5pm and if the job he is meant to do that weekend is done early we tell him to go home ! 

But he will do things like sweep around the house and other things until its 5pm !!  

That would never happen in the UK !! And what is it with Filipinos and Units-wardrobes-cupboards etc etc ?

Whenever the wife and her sister go to one of those Japanese surplus stores , or the Practical shop its another unit !!

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
And what is it with Filipinos and Units-wardrobes-cupboards etc etc ? Whenever the wife and her sister go to one of those Japanese surplus stores , or the Practical shop its another unit !!

:hystery:  To put all the clothes they Haven't got in, That's ladies the world Over. We got 4 shoe cupboards and now apparently we need another, OH! and another BAG Cupboard 

Jack :1 (103):

chris49
Posted
Posted
we now have a regular guy who works every weekend for us he is a builder at the sisters college where she teaches ! we pay him 500 pesos a day plus food

That kind of arrangement is worth it's weight in gold. My guy a friend repairs bikes in the morning. He's also a carpenter and all rounder, so he will come late morning. The rate here is 350 with lunch and 2 merienda's. I give him 400 and he will stay late to finish what he's working on. He will usually have a RH to finish the day. That 400 covers what would usually take 2 laborers to do...all rounder plus helper.

Plus with the little extra money the incentive to come here rather than other job is there.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We have a regular guy... he is her uncle... he owns the land... he is a professional "electrician".  We cannot tell him anything yet he knows virtually nothing about electrical!  Did I mention he is her uncle, and owns the land we are on, and has been paid by the local school district for 40 years as a supposed electrician?  .... yeah... I lost those fights before even starting ha ha 

If we ever build a bigger place somewhere else I will be the electrician and plumber.  Only way to get it done right.  :tiphat:

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Just a note since you're talking about house wiring... (maybe this should be posted elsewhere)... If you have plastic walled conduit be aware that the rice field rats who might occasionally find their way into your attic love to gnaw on it. I live in a low cost, hardwood, bamboo and nipa roof hybrid house. The eye of Yolanda passed directly over us, but the house was left intact. While replacing some of the thinned areas of Nipa under the bamboo over-lattice, my repairman noticed that the rice field varmits had chewed some up, so we had the place checked and had to replace a few more areas where they had gotten to it.

Pest control around the place is one of my hobbies and chores that I enjoy here in The Hot Land. Heck of a lot easier than trapping, snaring and hunting in The Cold Land. Heh-heh !

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
but if I had not been quick enough to stop him he would, he tells me just Strung Cable across from the Main Kitchen, then done the Job Properly inside the Kitchen

We, like others bought all the fixtures for our entire house, and after one bad experience was standing in the construction site almost on an hourly basis to insure it was done the way I thought it should be done.......right or wrong, I was paying for it lolol :dance: after all.

Lest we forget the priority of almost all things here in the land of Smiles.

1. will it work?

2. is it inexpensive?

3. can I get it cheaper?

4. does it look attractive?

Number 4 can move way down the list if needed :dance:

• Like 2