What Is It With The Locals And Electrical Spaghetti? ( Hanging Cables)

mogo51
Posted
Posted

one thing we learnt was buy all the fittings yourself that you need, and you wont have outlets-switches-reels of cable over etc. which the builder says he can use at his other job !!

My Wife buys all the Stuff she took all the details to the Supplier and ordered them all he has to do is Pick them up. We made sure everything was for External use or who knows what we would end up with. :)

He is a Good Sparky but sometimes he just don't think.

Jack :thumbsup:

Hope heis not colour bllind Jack.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

one thing we learnt was buy all the fittings yourself that you need, and you wont have outlets-switches-reels of cable over etc. which the builder says he can use at his other job !!

My Wife buys all the Stuff she took all the details to the Supplier and ordered them all he has to do is Pick them up. We made sure everything was for External use or who knows what we would end up with. :)

He is a Good Sparky but sometimes he just don't think.

Jack :thumbsup:

Now that would be very unfortunate.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I had a friend in the US that was also an HVAC contractor... and color blind.  It made thermostat hooks up really funny (I had to bail him out a few times)  :tiphat:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I get asked by locals sometimes what my job was in the UK when I tell them Plumber/gas engineer they might say oh that is a good job my uncle/brother does that well here in this town what I have seen they are butchers. Maybe they have some good ones working on hotels/hospitals/malls etc but day to day they are spaghetti installers. A lot of workers/locals here cannot see/understand that just because something works at the moment the way they have installed it it is doomed to failure. Also they don`t understand that it takes just a little longer to do it correctly and make it pleasing to the eye.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I had a friend in the US that was also an HVAC contractor... and color blind.  It made thermostat hooks up really funny (I had to bail him out a few times)  :tiphat:

If you want to know which is the live wire put it on your tongue. NO Jake this is a joke and should not be tried without adult supervision so put that extension lead down.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Why are the electrical outlets installed horizontally?

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Not sure why they do it - but I like it.  Seems more convenient to me.

If you want to know which is the live wire put it on your tongue. NO Jake this is a joke and should not be tried without adult supervision so put that extension lead down.

He could not tell the blue from the brown, or the red from the green... made for some wonky thermostats ha ha

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Not sure why they do it - but I like it.  Seems more convenient to me.

He could not tell the blue from the brown, or the red from the green... made for some wonky thermostats ha ha

Yes Tim I have seen plenty of wonky installations in my time on the tools and that was from people who were not colour blind

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, I've done the 60hz dance a few times in my career as an ET.  I think my worse nightmare as far as chasing colored wires was a trouble call to the bridge, well past midnight.  Had to use a red lens flashlight (white light can be detected by the enemy) and all the wires appeared to be red!  After a couple hours, while the skipper was breathing down my back, his radar console was finally repaired (burnt wire carrying 25KV B+ to the CRT).  

Got an atta boy from the captain but got my butt chewed out from missing morning muster.  I get no respect sometimes.......

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
Got an atta boy from the captain but got my butt chewed out from missing morning muster. I get no respect sometimes.......

You know 1 aw sh&t can wipe out 100 atta boys  :tiphat:

• Like 2