What Do Your Potatoes Taste Like.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I bought some potatoes yesterday from the local market. I part boiled them and then roasted them, When I took them out of the oven they looked great,nice colour and looking crispy. But my joy was short lived as they had hardly any taste at all. Luckily we were having braised steak with gravy and vegetables so that hid this a little.

The other week I bought potatoes and they tasted funny, my wife said they must have been old stock so we stayed away from potatoes until yesterday. Has anyone else noticed this.

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

Hi Sonjack,

Had some crispy roast spuds earlier this evening actually, Very crispy on the outside, nice texture and perfect colour, bursting with flavour ....but as they were TESCO's finest, hardly surprising really.  :hystery:  :hystery:

Sorry mate, sitting at home bored, cold, dark and raining outside,  couldn't resist it !!! 

Ingat aking kaibigan, Lol.

:cheersty:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Hi Sonjack,

Had some crispy roast spuds earlier this evening actually, Very crispy on the outside, nice texture and perfect colour, bursting with flavour ....but as they were TESCO's finest, hardly surprising really.  :hystery:  :hystery:

Sorry mate, sitting at home bored, cold, dark and raining outside,  couldn't resist it !!! 

Ingat aking kaibigan, Lol.

:cheersty:

No problem mate mickey taking is good now and again. Just be aware you have this to go through so don`t cry to me when it happens haha

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Mine taste like ketchup :hystery:  

Sorry couldn't resist that one.

Seriously though I have had some potato's that were fibrous, some seemed stale (if that's possible), but most have been very good. Like most things here "youse pays your money and takes your chances" as the ole carnival saying goes.

Along these lines, my wife sometimes makes me change bakeries when buying Pan de Sal, because they takes like Ipis poop. Probably made by flour at the bottom of the barrel. But that's common sense and I have been married over 20 years so I know common sense doesn't apply :1 (103):

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I am not a salt lover and have a problem with salt but for potatoes it is a must, not a lot but enough to put a little Sole thing in them if boiling for mash say.

Saute Potatoes a little before roasting is a way I do it Then just an pinch on top just before putting into Roast. Works for me.

To answer the Question though Yes they are tasteless.Sometimes even to the opposite of "you get what you pay for" I have had some expensive lets downs, But...................

Jack :)

Morning All :morning1:

• Like 2

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Potatoes are tasteless, much like rice. That's why we put gravy or sauce of some description on them, to give them some taste. As well as the normal mash (try pink mashed potatoes aka corned beef hash, but not with local corned beef) and roast I like mine in a curry. Bombay Aloo (Indian) or in green curry or masaman (Thai). Potatoes with bite.

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I always choose my potatoes carefully, squeeze for firmness etc but some are tasteless and some are ok. Russian roulette for vegetables, who would have thought it!!

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

That's why we put gravy or sauce of some description on them, to give them some taste.

:thumbsup:  You have just reminded me of an old Mate of Mine in the Forces who couldn't Cook to save his life but always turned out a nice meal  (Of Sorts) he would Boil his 'tatties' In water with a Stock Cube  in ( OXO even) then use the water to make his Gravy. He even used to do his 'Tatties in with his peas or Green beans. What is it they say "Necessity is the mother of Inventions"  :no:  We all got to eat what we like at times. 'Trial and error' and all that!

Jack :lol:  

Sunday Morning Edits  :bash:  'HUH"

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Some are tasteless, some are good.... all are a bit yellow. My wife always buys really tiny potatoes.  She would die if she saw the giant American baked potatoes ha ha.  I do miss the flaky, white potato - but these are ok for sauteed or mashed.  :tiphat:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Potatoes I used to eat in the Uk were not tasteless Maybe they don`t put cow dung on them here,could that be the answer?

• Like 1