What Do Your Potatoes Taste Like.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

They are just harvesting them too soon.  Wait until the frost is on the pumpkins and the potato tops die.  Then you will get a tasty tater.  :cheersty:   

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

They are just harvesting them too soon.  Wait until the frost is on the pumpkins and the potato tops die.  Then you will get a tasty tater.  :cheersty:   

Ah! So that's where they are going Wrong, "Out of Stock" on the Frost :hystery:

just saying, OK, OK, I know post-2148-0-47455100-1449974614.jpg 'Mutter, mutter, mutter' :)  

Jack :t07022:

• Like 2

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the tip about waiting until the frost , Dave. I was planning to bring over some seed potatos or even seeds themselves and see if I can grow some here. I was thinking of growing them in tubs. I shall await the first frost in eager anticipation. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/fruitandvegetables/11422293/How-to-grow-potatoes-in-pots.html

Probably a bit optimistic, I know, but I used to grow lovely sweet cherry tomotoes in Thailand, the likes of which you couldn't find in the shops or market, so it's worth a try. I will also try growing tomatoes here also.

I have been unable to find good tasting potatos over here and really miss a good roast potato, although my good lady makes a smashing mashed potato, using plenty of butter.

Ken

• Like 2

canadamale
Posted
Posted

"and the best dawg gone potatoes  to ever be growd and there from Prince Edward Island" Stompin Tom, Idaho grows a pretty good spud too, PH not so much

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Been here 3 years... ain't seen that frost yet..... 

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I was doing a bit of research on potatoes in the Philippines a year or two back. (Don't ask :) ) Now I don't know about what is sold at markets but most potatoes were imported frozen from the US.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
most potatoes were imported frozen from the US.

Well that'll kill the taste.  When I said the frost needs to be on the pumpkins I meant it has to be 'almost' cold enough for the potatoes to get frost but not quite. Otherwise ya gets black ugly spots on your 'taters.  (Or so it was in the frozen north when I grew some in my past life).

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Been here 3 years... ain't seen that frost yet..... 

As the saying goes"wait for a while Sir"

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

most potatoes were imported frozen from the US.

Well that'll kill the taste.  When I said the frost needs to be on the pumpkins I meant it has to be 'almost' cold enough for the potatoes to get frost but not quite. Otherwise ya gets black ugly spots on your 'taters.  (Or so it was in the frozen north when I grew some in my past life).

Actually I am wrong, must be my old age affecting my memory. Looked it up again and found fresh spuds are imported from the US for consumption and previously only fresh spuds were allowed into the country for processing into frozen products but that has changed.

http://www.potatogrower.com/2013/07/philippine-market-now-open-for

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Find there's not much taste in the taties here, my girl when she does chips cuts them first then boils them, then cooks them in hot oil, they aren't bad but............ :unsure:

When my daughter came to visit she bought some potatoes from one of those side stalls in the street, came home and cut them up, one was full of maggots, put here off eating them again for the rest of her visit :angry:

• Like 1