What Do Your Potatoes Taste Like.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Find there's not much taste in the taties here, my girl when she does chips cuts them first then boils them, then cooks them in hot oil, they aren't bad but............ :unsure:

When my daughter came to visit she bought some potatoes from one of those side stalls in the street, came home and cut them up, one was full of maggots, put here off eating them again for the rest of her visit :angry:

Never had maggots but  have cut a few spuds open that were rotten and black inside.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Find there's not much taste in the taties here, my girl when she does chips cuts them first then boils them, then cooks them in hot oil, they aren't bad but............ :unsure:

When my daughter came to visit she bought some potatoes from one of those side stalls in the street, came home and cut them up, one was full of maggots, put here off eating them again for the rest of her visit :angry:

Forgot to say according to a friend who used to be a restaurant owner that is the correct way to do it,or you can part deep fry let them cool and then finish deep frying.There was a Chinese takeout(who used this method) where I lived in the uk and their chips for me at least were the best.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Never had maggots but  have cut a few spuds open that were rotten and black inside.

Coming from the US maybe they don't travel too well and of course how old they were before Shipping?

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I used to buy spuds in Carbon market in Cebu and they were from China.Anyway maggots=protein

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
Forgot to say according to a friend who used to be a restaurant owner that is the correct way to do it,or you can part deep fry let them cool and then finish deep frying.There was a Chinese takeout(who used this method) where I lived in the uk and their chips for me at least were the best.

Yep.  That is how we cooked them at Chili's.  During morning prep you cut them (into ice water), then blanch them in oil for... 2 1/2 minutes?.. I think it was. Refrigerate them and then finish cooking to order.  It shortens the cooking time during the rush, and it makes them crispier.  I have heard McDo's does about the same prep before they freeze them for shipping out to their units.

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

I have always done my chips this way, another good way is get a decent sized potato, boil  with skin on just till it is getting soft, cut in quarters but not through the skin, add a good dollop of sour cream, cut finely some spring onions, put on top of cream with plenty of salt and pepper. :unsure:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have always done my chips this way, another good way is get a decent sized potato, boil  with skin on just till it is getting soft, cut in quarters but not through the skin, add a good dollop of sour cream, cut finely some spring onions, put on top of cream with plenty of salt and pepper. :unsure:

We call that method a jacket potatoe you can do this in the microwave or conventional oven

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I used to buy spuds in Carbon market in Cebu and they were from China.Anyway maggots=protein

We get ours from farms around Mount Kanlaon in season and from China off season. The volcano gave 2 puffs 600 meters last Saturday. We use the spuds in stews to pick up some flavors.

• Like 2