Fun Flight Fact

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Life as an expat gives me a lot of free time to wonder about things.  So I wondered what it would cost to fly from Manila to Vancouver (return) next year.  Here's what I found:

Seems like Philippine airlines has one of the better deals at just under US$1,000 per person for that flight. (Aside:  Interesting how a Brit goes to Canada from Philippines and they want to quote the price in a currency from yet another country)

So the US$1,000 price tag seemed reasonable and yet I thought I could do better so I searched HongKong to Vancouver (return).  Seems like there is an even better deal there.  Philippine Airlines offers a flight on that route for about $750.  Now you want to hear the interesting bit?  That Philippine Airline flight takes you from Hong Kong to Manila and then you get on the same flight as the people who paid more money  :bash:  :bash:   so poor filipino people flying from Manila are subsidizing rich Hong Kong residents.

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted

We use PAL as they allow 2 check in bags at 23 kg each but you must ensure that your flight from Duma to Vancouver is on one ticket otherwise they will skin you on the domestic leg for excess baggage. Also there is no changing of terminals from domestic to international.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Here's a tip for those planning to fly.  Just post about it in the forum and watch the advertising banners pop up every time you look at the thread.  THEY KNOW!!!!!!

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

We use PAL as they allow 2 check in bags at 23 kg each but you must ensure that your flight from Duma to Vancouver is on one ticket otherwise they will skin you on the domestic leg for excess baggage. Also there is no changing of terminals from domestic to international.

Whilst I like the post, I certainly like the Idea but I am somewhat not sure you can Do this, Dumaguete is a Domestic Airport and Not Geared for any International Arrivals, ( Customs etc and Immigration.) on your theory you would be an International Arrival.

Jack :)

DavidK
Posted
Posted

That's because HK residents have a much bigger choice of airlines to fly with. To attract customers PAL has to offer cheaper flights otherwise they'll all just book with Crappy Pathetic and go direct.......

You from Manila are however a bit more restricted.......

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Whilst I like the post, I certainly like the Idea but I am somewhat not sure you can Do this, Dumaguete is a Domestic Airport and Not Geared for any International Arrivals, ( Customs etc and Immigration.) on your theory you would be an International Arrival.

No. We do it from Bacolod with Expedia. Sometimes PAL website will say that the fight is not available or they give you an overnight in Manila but with Expedia on one ticket, our bags get checked thru from Bacolod to Toronto. On the return, we have to pick up our bags in Manila and move them 10 feet to the connecting flight desk/customs to go to Bacolod.

the other JP

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

No. We do it from Bacolod with Expedia. Sometimes PAL website will say that the fight is not available or they give you an overnight in Manila but with Expedia on one ticket, our bags get checked thru from Bacolod to Toronto. On the return, we have to pick up our bags in Manila and move them 10 feet to the connecting flight desk/customs to go to Bacolod.

the other JP

Well yes Bacolod, maybe, that is classed as an International Airport. You could not as I suggested do this from Dumaguete, To me once you have removed you Bags through Customs and I will hazard a guess and cleared Immigration, this what you will have done. You then Surely become a Domestic Traveler and all it suggests on baggage. allowance.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

the other JP

Well yes Bacolod, maybe, that is classed as an International Airport. You could not as I suggested do this from Dumaguete, To me once you have removed you Bags through Customs and I will hazard a guess and cleared Immigration, this what you will have done. You then Surely become a Domestic Traveler and all it suggests on baggage. allowance.

Again No. Bacolod is to be international starting Dec 16 with flights from Korea ( We will see as they have been saying this for 3 years now). We have been going on a one ticket from Bacolod to Toronto return (with 2 X 23 kg alowance each person) for the past 3 years. On a one ticket, Duma-Manila-Vancouver your bags ( 2 X 23 kg each) are checked thru to Vancouver. On the return, the same, except in Manila at T2, you pick up your bags and move them 10 feet to the connecting flight/customs area. There, they are put on to a conveyor and show up at Duma. No weigh in for baggage allowance. Bruce told us of this 4 years ago when he was going from Tacloban to Miami. 

the other JP

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

a one ticket, Duma-Manila-Vancouver your bags ( 2 X 23 kg each) are checked thru to Vancouver.

So are you telling us that we can now Start our International Journey from Dumaguete? Immigration, Ecc and all and any Interviews that may be needed for

A departing Filipino Lady ?

Jack post-2148-0-46018500-1449982655.gif

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

a one ticket, Duma-Manila-Vancouver your bags ( 2 X 23 kg each) are checked thru to Vancouver.

So are you telling us that we can now Start our International Journey from Dumaguete? Immigration, Ecc and all and any Interviews that may be needed for

A departing Filipino Lady ?

Jack attachicon.gifScratch head.gif

You're not starting the international part until you're checking in at Manila, that's my understanding.  :cheers: