Fun Flight Fact

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

You're not starting the international part until you're checking in at Manila, that's my understanding. 

That's what I was saying so there will be a Surcharge on the Luggage on the Domestic flight. But it seems not from JP's angle on things.

I have never been able to get a luggage straight through from Dumaguete to Spain, Just Dumaguete to Manila then re check in for International

We use PAL as they allow 2 check in bags at 23 kg each but you must ensure that your flight from Duma to Vancouver is on one ticket otherwise they will skin you on the domestic leg for excess baggage.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

That's what I was saying so there will be a Surcharge on the Luggage on the Domestic flight. But it seems not from JP's angle on things. I have never been able to get a luggage straight through from Dumaguete to Spain, Just Dumaguete to Manila then re check in for International

My guess is because it's paid for on the one ticket that should be the end of it, I think you just give your bags to the connecting flight counter. The way to book it is by using the multi city booking button.

The other JP said two 23 kg bags but this test booking says one 25kg? 

post-1-0-47280100-1449985203_thumb.jpg

This what Bruce does going to the Phils, says no domestic fees?

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/15347-travel-agent/?p=91049

jpbago
Posted
Posted

That's what I was saying so there will be a Surcharge on the Luggage on the Domestic flight. But it seems not from JP's angle on things. I have never been able to get a luggage straight through from Dumaguete to Spain, Just Dumaguete to Manila then re check in for International

My guess is because it's paid for on the one ticket that should be the end of it, I think you just give your bags to the connecting flight counter. The way to book it is by using the multi city booking button.

attachicon.gifmuliti city.jpg

That is correct JGF. Except for the baggage allowance with PAL.

post-2913-0-44236400-1449997142_thumb.pn

This is from:

http://www.philippineairlines.com/en/TravelInformation/BeforeYouFly/BaggageInformation/BaggageAllowance/BaggageAllowanceandFees

Bruce explains it as well even with multiple airlines, I believe. For us, we use PAL for both domestic and international as I mentioned in my first post. I never saw that multi city booking option, maybe that is why I could not get one ticket from the PAL web site. Expedia works plus I get points both with them and with PAL. I was told that after 6 return flights from Bacolod to Vancouver with PAL, the 7th one is free not counting the cash back from Expedia. The tickets were the same price on Expedia as on PAL's web site.

Jack, I repeat: I book PAL flights from Bacolod to Toronto return on one ticket and I am allowed 2 bags of 23 kg each free at check in. I change planes in Manila T2 both ways and there is a stopover in Vancouver both ways. Going to Toronto, I check my bags in at Bacolod and I don't see them until Toronto. Coming from Toronto, I check my bags in at Toronto, I pick them up at Manila, move them 10 feet to the connecting flight agent who puts them on a conveyor belt then I pick them up at Bacolod with no extra baggage fees nor weigh ins. Does PAL fly to Spain?

Crocodile
Posted
Posted

Life as an expat gives me a lot of free time to wonder about things.  So I wondered what it would cost to fly from Manila to Vancouver (return) next year.  Here's what I found:

Seems like Philippine airlines has one of the better deals at just under US$1,000 per person for that flight. (Aside:  Interesting how a Brit goes to Canada from Philippines and they want to quote the price in a currency from yet another country)

So the US$1,000 price tag seemed reasonable and yet I thought I could do better so I searched HongKong to Vancouver (return).  Seems like there is an even better deal there.  Philippine Airlines offers a flight on that route for about $750.  Now you want to hear the interesting bit?  That Philippine Airline flight takes you from Hong Kong to Manila and then you get on the same flight as the people who paid more money  :bash:  :bash:   so poor filipino people flying from Manila are subsidizing rich Hong Kong residents.

This is not uncommon.

Try searching for Cathay Pacific flights also, as you never know what specials they will have.  I know it is not the same, but a similar situation exists where you can get business class flights from Taipei on Cathay Pacific to European destinations cheaper than Hong Kong direct.  The flights are cheap enough that it is worthwhile to fly HKG-TPE to get the TPE-HKG-Europe flight.

I use skyscanner.com to check out available flights and routes.  Sometimes a weird route can mean significant savings.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

attachicon.gifmuliti city.jpg

That is correct JGF. Except for the baggage allowance with PAL.

attachicon.gifPAL Baggage.PNG

This is from:

http://www.philippineairlines.com/en/TravelInformation/BeforeYouFly/BaggageInformation/BaggageAllowance/BaggageAllowanceandFees

Bruce explains it as well even with multiple airlines, I believe. For us, we use PAL for both domestic and international as I mentioned in my first post. I never saw that multi city booking option, maybe that is why I could not get one ticket from the PAL web site. Expedia works plus I get points both with them and with PAL. I was told that after 6 return flights from Bacolod to Vancouver with PAL, the 7th one is free not counting the cash back from Expedia. The tickets were the same price on Expedia as on PAL's web site.

Jack, I repeat: I book PAL flights from Bacolod to Toronto return on one ticket and I am allowed 2 bags of 23 kg each free at check in. I change planes in Manila T2 both ways and there is a stopover in Vancouver both ways. Going to Toronto, I check my bags in at Bacolod and I don't see them until Toronto. Coming from Toronto, I check my bags in at Toronto, I pick them up at Manila, move them 10 feet to the connecting flight agent who puts them on a conveyor belt then I pick them up at Bacolod with no extra baggage fees nor weigh ins. Does PAL fly to Spain?

Going round and round here. No PAL does not Fly to Spain until March next year but that does not change what I have asked. If your International Journey finishes in Manila, Does this make you a Domestic Traveler? No matter who I flew with when I arrived in 2012 I was 7 Kilo over weight and even though I was from an International Flight I was charged 1.400 peso, as Domestic weight was 20 kilo only thus I was 7 kilo Overweight..Now is Pal Different all round, even though I was on a PAL flight from HK to Manila. Then a PAL flight to Dumaguete. This was my Query, No arguments, just a Question.

Jack :)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

there will be a Surcharge on the Luggage on the Domestic flight.

As this screen shot from their web site shows, the 'can' put a surcharge on the Domestic flight and they only allow 25 kg of checked luggage on the domestic leg.

This is when booking direct through Philippine Airlines in economy seats.  YMMV

post-41-0-82950500-1450008986_thumb.png

Edit.  I did not see what they allow for  International Luggage but will figure it out in time  :cheersty:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

there will be a Surcharge on the Luggage on the Domestic flight.

As this screen shot from their web site shows, the 'can' put a surcharge on the Domestic flight and they only allow 25 kg of checked luggage on the domestic leg.

This is when booking direct through Philippine Airlines in economy seats.  YMMV

attachicon.gifBaggage.png

Edit.  I did not see what they allow for  International Luggage but will figure it out in time  :cheersty:

Well that's all answered then, Two sets of rules. :unsure:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Seems like Philippine airlines has one of the better deals at just under US$1,000 per person for that flight

Just writing this down to keep track of whats available out there.  I found a EVA  air flight from Manila to Vancouver via TPE for US$766 per person and EVA gets good reviews.  Does anyone know if a filipina or anyone else needs a visa for Taipei when having a 9 hour layover there?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
 Going round and round here. No PAL does not Fly to Spain until March next year but that does not change what I have asked. If your International Journey finishes in Manila, Does this make you a Domestic Traveler? No matter who I flew with when I arrived in 2012 I was 7 Kilo over weight and even though I was from an International Flight I was charged 1.400 peso, as Domestic weight was 20 kilo only thus I was 7 kilo Overweight..Now is Pal Different all round, even though I was on a PAL flight from HK to Manila. Then a PAL flight to Dumaguete. This was my Query, No arguments, just a Question.    Jack

The next question will be, did you have one ticket or one to Manila and then another from Manila to Duma?

No matter who I flew with when I arrived in 2012 I was 7 Kilo over weight

Could they tell that by looking at you or were you placed on scales.  :lol:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Going round and round here. No PAL does not Fly to Spain until March next year but that does not change what I have asked. If your International Journey finishes in Manila, Does this make you a Domestic Traveler? No matter who I flew with when I arrived in 2012 I was 7 Kilo over weight and even though I was from an International Flight I was charged 1.400 peso, as Domestic weight was 20 kilo only thus I was 7 kilo Overweight..Now is Pal Different all round, even though I was on a PAL flight from HK to Manila. Then a PAL flight to Dumaguete. This was my Query, No arguments, just a Question.    Jack

The next question will be, did you have one ticket or one to Manila and then another from Manila to Duma?

No matter who I flew with when I arrived in 2012 I was 7 Kilo over weight

Could they tell that by looking at you or were you placed on scales.  :lol:

* Nope JP has already answered that, as most things were now. Thank You very Much to you and D "H" *

* They would have got that wrong, I had not long before had a stroke and was way under weight. * personally that is the Luggage was a totally different story

Monday edit.

Edited by Jack Peterson