Living In Subic Freeport

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Guys, many thanks for all this positive input.

it helps me a lot.

so it looks like rent a place for a year and look around for a long term lease.

can some one help me with an contact for an agent?

i emailed one i found on the internet but got no reply.

many thanks

I think it is ok to post these links.

We used to know an agent that I liked but she moved away.

We have talked to the Lim family several times and they seem nice.  They mostly renovate and sell, but they have a few rentals.  We looked at this house for sale but you can ask about rentals.

https://www.olx.ph/item/4-bedroom-house-for-sale-in-subic-bay-sbma-ready-to-move-in-renovated-ID74gt8.html?p=4&h=d662c975b5#d662c975b5

The main agent in the area is this one:

http://www.ph-zambales.com/index.html

I have heard some positive comments about them but I would have to say I am neutral on them.  Listed prices are high but everything is negotiable.  I think most of the listing on their website are old and not available.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I have a friend who is a  registered and qualified independent real estate broker doing a significant volume of business for expatriates renting and leasing in Subic; she is not an ex girlfriend or a friend's ex girlfriend but a lady who came to my notice when she did a good job for two different friends of mine. Send me a PM and I will send you her details.  

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

I have seen and heard many expats that moved to the Philippines frown upon buying a car. Most of them say that it was a waste of money and a scooter or motorcycle is the way to get around. However, is that true for the living in Subic as well? The infrastructure in Subic seems to lean more towards western standards and drivable by car.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

I have seen and heard many expats that moved to the Philippines frown upon buying a car. Most of them say that it was a waste of money and a scooter or motorcycle is the way to get around. However, is that true for the living in Subic as well? The infrastructure in Subic seems to lean more towards western standards and drivable by car.

The infrastructure in Subic seems to lean more towards western standards

I've been known to stagger the streets of Subic Bay Naval Base (main gate to Alava pier) and somehow got aboard my ship in one piece.  Yes indeed, not only the infrastructure of paved and smooth road system within the base but also the driving discipline is strictly enforced.  I believe noise abatement around the housing area is also strictly enforced.

I would pay a premium to enjoy that standard of living.  

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted
The main agent in the area is this one:   http://www.ph-zambales.com/index.html 

I know these people and they are honest. I am currently using them for my one short term rental unit. I also used them when I bought my 42 year lease for 4Mphp in 2012 (a 2 bedroom ranch part of a 6 unit multiplex). 

A car in the Freeport is a necessity if you live there. Think about rainy season (monsoon for 3+ weeks at a time, etc.) and trying to buy groceries. The Freeport police do not mess with the residents, only the locals. Traffic only gets stupid when the Manila tourists show up (holidays, peak travel times during the dry seasons, etc.). Kinda like living in Florida during the winter.

I am paying 1600p/mo for SubicTel DSL for a rated speed of 3MB which is hit or miss. Most issues are related to DNS outages. 

I would avoid anything involving Subic Homes. Everything is overpriced and they will never give you a lease longer than 30 years at a 40 or 50 year price. Like OMW said, get a one year short term lease and see what shakes out. There always seem to be units coming up for sale and negotiate.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Jon, correct me if I am wrong but I thought you bought your place from the Lims?  The link you quoted is Alop-Laroa (Merlie).

Bows, to add to what Jon said about the driving, it is very nice inside the freeport.  Jeeps and trikes are not allowed.  Traffic police enforce basic road rules.  Most of the "locals" Jon mentioned, who get pulled over, are actually from Manila.  They pull their Manila stunts and get ticketed.  I have been pull over twice (both legit, 1 misunderstanding a traffic officer signal, 1 seat belt violation) and both times they let me go after seeing my DL and resident ID.

I know these people and they are honest. I am currently using them for my one short term rental unit. I also used them when I bought my 42 year lease for 4Mphp in 2012 (a 2 bedroom ranch part of a 6 unit multiplex). 

A car in the Freeport is a necessity if you live there. Think about rainy season (monsoon for 3+ weeks at a time, etc.) and trying to buy groceries. The Freeport police do not mess with the residents, only the locals. Traffic only gets stupid when the Manila tourists show up (holidays, peak travel times during the dry seasons, etc.). Kinda like living in Florida during the winter.

I am paying 1600p/mo for SubicTel DSL for a rated speed of 3MB which is hit or miss. Most issues are related to DNS outages. 

I would avoid anything involving Subic Homes. Everything is overpriced and they will never give you a lease longer than 30 years at a 40 or 50 year price. Like OMW said, get a one year short term lease and see what shakes out. There always seem to be units coming up for sale and negotiate.

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

Yes, everything I have researched so far seems positive.  I am anxious to see it for myself and get a taste of the environment there.  I will post my review with pictures while I am there in January.  But I will be staying near Baloy Beach and will need some kind of transportation to get to Subic Freeport Area.  I hope they have motorcycles for rent in the area.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Yes, everything I have researched so far seems positive.  I am anxious to see it for myself and get a taste of the environment there.  I will post my review with pictures while I am there in January.  But I will be staying near Baloy Beach and will need some kind of transportation to get to Subic Freeport Area.  I hope they have motorcycles for rent in the area.

A couple of people have said that Harley's has the best deal on motorcycle's for rent over in BB.

You can rent a car in Olongapo, with or without driver.  Not sure if they have car rentals down by Baloy.  I think a Vios will cost ~p1700 for 12 hours with driver.  You can find some on Facebook

• Like 1

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

Yes, everything I have researched so far seems positive. I am anxious to see it for myself and get a taste of the environment there. I will post my review with pictures while I am there in January. But I will be staying near Baloy Beach and will need some kind of transportation to get to Subic Freeport Area. I hope they have motorcycles for rent in the area.

If you're just coming to scope it out, and temporarily staying near Baloy / Barrio Barretto area, I wouldn't worry about transportation. You can catch a jeepney to the gate and grab a taxi there to wherever you need to go on SBMA.

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

Jon, correct me if I am wrong but I thought you bought your place from the Lims?  The link you quoted is Alop-Laroa (Merlie).

Bows, to add to what Jon said about the driving, it is very nice inside the freeport.  Jeeps and trikes are not allowed.  Traffic police enforce basic road rules.  Most of the "locals" Jon mentioned, who get pulled over, are actually from Manila.  They pull their Manila stunts and get ticketed.  I have been pull over twice (both legit, 1 misunderstanding a traffic officer signal, 1 seat belt violation) and both times they let me go after seeing my DL and resident ID.

OMW,

Yes the Lim's owned the place and Merlie brokered the deal... 

• Like 1