Party Food Question

Jake
Posted
Posted

Etiquette question. We were at the barangay preschool party, giving school supplies (and candy) to the kids. I made the small chocolate cake in this pic. It was a rare US boxed cake mix... rare here anyway... Only a 2 layer 9" round, so we were trying to cut small pieces so everyone could get some. Before everyone had been served I noticed we were already out of cake. No real surprise... then I see someone had taken about 1/4 of the cake in "reserve". My wife said it was reserved. Too late, and sorry. I do not play that game - especially when not everyone had even been served yet. So I put the cake back in play ha ha. Could I have been wrong? Do I really care? (my wife did not notice)   :tiphat:

attachicon.gif12360280_10207399391855027_6424077358750289623_n.jpg

Good onya Mate!  Did you at least save the fork with all the icing on it for me?

Well done shipmate!

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

First come first served mate.You did the right thing.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

You know, Jake I did save you the icing covered fork (I saw it and thought 'fork you').  But cousin Rogena did not know I was saving it and washed it... so sorry.  I have one more boxed mix, I will probably make the cake in Feb for my birthday - so come on over!    :tiphat:

• Like 3

BigNick
Posted
Posted

discussing with my filipina fiancee... she states that..  that does happen frequently..but it is also well-known to be a wrong thing to do.  So...  GOOD CALL, brother!!  

She and I discussed this because of our upcoming wedding this sunday. ;)

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted

Etiquette question. We were at the barangay preschool party, giving school supplies (and candy) to the kids. I made the small chocolate cake in this pic. It was a rare US boxed cake mix... rare here anyway... Only a 2 layer 9" round, so we were trying to cut small pieces so everyone could get some. Before everyone had been served I noticed we were already out of cake. No real surprise... then I see someone had taken about 1/4 of the cake in "reserve". My wife said it was reserved. Too late, and sorry. I do not play that game - especially when not everyone had even been served yet. So I put the cake back in play ha ha. Could I have been wrong? Do I really care? (my wife did not notice)   :tiphat:

attachicon.gif12360280_10207399391855027_6424077358750289623_n.jpg

My opinion. Your wife should have anticipated the problem and should have handled the serving so every kid gota small piece.

But given what happened, you did the right thing.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

You were lucky to be able to put the 1/4 back into play. We used to put the food out and let everyone serve themselves but I have seen the cake and other choice foods disappear so now we have a server to see that everyone gets a small helping first and then can return for seconds if there is anything left. 

We have been to Vikings a few times now and I can't believe the pushing and butting in as if the supply of food will be gone so grab all that you can now.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

post-2148-0-57801200-1450163005.jpg Well done that man, When was there ever proper Etiquette at meal times here, usually a free for all and as Sonjack said it is first come first served, Hat off to you  :tiphat:

Jack  :)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I see someone had taken about 1/4 of the cake in "reserve"

Not sure exactly what that means.

I could imagine holding back 1/4 of the cake to be sure the polite, non-shoving kids got a piece.  Otherwise the line buttinskis would hog the whole thing.  To put it all out there only seems to encourage the rude ones to get there first in order to get their piece.  Its like pigs at the trough.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

You know, if it was one slice I would be ok with it... but it was seriously 1/4 of the freaking cake put back by one person.  My wife knew I really waned to keep it at home anyway... we only got 2 cake mixes in our BB box.  She wanted to give this one out?  :tiphat:

We had it happen at covered dish dinners in the US too ha ha

• Like 1