Long Distant Landlording Concern

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Any law in any country is ok but you have to be in the country to get it enforced or bang your head against a brink wall

Not in Sweden  :)   

Here the government solve much if we just send corect letters signed. Some juridical things can even be solved through Internet.

(As for instance the assistance of geting pay, which I wrote about. I did just send a letter plus the small start fee. Then the government will do the rest.)

Thomas it took me 2 1/2 years to sort out something legally online(with my house) and the correspondence was back and forth many times try doing that online here and it will be a fail.I never said it cannot be done I said try doing it.

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

This is an excellent topic.  We've been weighing the pros and cons of renting out our house here when we finally move to the Philippines. 

We are less inclined to rent out now, and judging by what I've been reading, we might be sparing ourselves a lot of headaches.

bows00
Posted
Posted

Radio financial celebrity Dave Ramsey is animatedly against long distance land lording. He owns tons of real estate so he most know something. He always mentions that you never know if your tenants are overhauling a Harley in your kitchen...

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

This is an excellent topic.  We've been weighing the pros and cons of renting out our house here when we finally move to the Philippines. 

We are less inclined to rent out now, and judging by what I've been reading, we might be sparing ourselves a lot of headaches.

An option is to sell the house and invest in 4 high yielding REITs (real estate investment trusts) like Rio Can or Canadian Apartments (CAR.UN).

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Personally have spoken to owners of condos in Cebu whom have experienced horror with react companies. I will not go into it but blatant theft and cheating was prominent Each case was an absent owner.

The upmost care must be taking in choosing the rental company, there must be good ones about how ever choose the wrong one and God help you.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Any law in any country is ok but you have to be in the country to get it enforced or bang your head against a brink wall

Not in Sweden  :)   

Here the government solve much if we just send corect letters signed. Some juridical things can even be solved through Internet.

(As for instance the assistance of geting pay, which I wrote about. I did just send a letter plus the small start fee. Then the government will do the rest.)

Thomas it took me 2 1/2 years to sort out something legally online(with my house) and the correspondence was back and forth many times try doing that online here and it will be a fail.I never said it cannot be done I said try doing it.

I DIDN'T say it can be done concerning PHILIPPINE cases, I expect NOT.

TS - and I - talked about if having renting out in our HOME countries, and I wrote some legal issues in SWEDEN can be handled FROM Phils through Internet...

But NOTICING errors is hard from an other country  :)   That's why I try to sell instead of renting out my house in Sweden.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Personally have spoken to owners of condos in Cebu whom have experienced horror with react companies. I will not go into it but blatant theft and cheating was prominent Each case was an absent owner.

This topic is about renting out a property in the OPs home country not the Phils  :thumbsup:

russellmania
Posted
Posted

After I paid of my mortgage in 2007 and saved and bought a foreclosure in 2012. Found a property mngmnt co. that charges a flat fee of $50 per month with an escape clause in the contract if they fail to live up to my expectations I could opt out of it. They found me a renter in May 2012 and he is still there to this day. I have had one repair of about $80 to the ac unit in 3 yrs. I make a cash flow profit of $500 monthly. I was going to rent my paid off home for about $1400 monthly but its going on 18yrs old now,and I figured I would need to replace major items very soon. So I decided to sell the place and walk away with a nice chunk of cash.

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
So I decided to sell the place and walk away with a nice chunk of cash.
Don't forget to make the payment to my Paypal account.... :merrychristmas:

usa32
Posted
Posted

Interesting topic. I am 34. and really want to move to the Philippines for at least a period of time. I currently work a 9-5 and am a landlord on the side, with me managing my own properties.

I have talked to property management companies that seem decent, but they are so expensive, I will need more houses to enjoy my time over there.

Being a landlord from thousands of miles away is "impossible"  However, being a owner of a property where you have contracted the landlord duties to a quality property management company is doable.

But it all depends on that property management company on how well they do and if they continue to perform.