Drinking And Driving. (Seems A Big Tolerance Here In The Pi)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:no:  We all say we shouldn't do it but we all have. OH! Just the one we say then off we go meet some more mates or other Ex-pats and it's OK but just the one as I am Driving, 4 bars that's 4 Drinks, now you over the Limit in the West YEP! Bin there and done that, Haven't you?

Reading elsewhere over the Last couple of days I see that the if it is not a Shooting ( Usually Drug Related) death Tolls are up on Road accidents and 1 or Both Injured or killed has been Drinking.

I like so many am no saint but over the years have learned we just cannot Drink and Drive and be Safe and more importantly safe to others.

While I was having a Beer with Friends on Wednesday, Someone I knew slightly, was getting S...faced in a Bar up near where I live.

Consensus at this time is that Some People think the Bar Owner should have taken the Guys keys ( Bye Force if Necessary) to stop him going out and Having a Fatal Accident, Which he did. Both M/C Riders were Foreigners and Both died at the Scene.

Can I ask what do we think here Should Bar Owners be more Responsible as they are in the West?

Serving a Drunk Who is known to use a vehicle when he leaves is now punishable ( certainly in the UK) 

Do the Police here ever do sobriety Tests if they think a Driver is under the influence. I have never heard personally if they Breathalyzers. Do they?

We can't just put this down to Christmas in my Mind as I see it daily. When there is an accident and I tell my Wife about it,(or anyone else that is Local) the First thing she/they will ask is Were they Drunk or been Drinking, to me, this tells me that it is a Norm that People will drink and Drive and Hope for the best. I used to smirk when I see people in cars or on Bikes crossing themselves before moving off, now I think, I know why, Maybe they have NOT but the person if they meet an accident may have been.

What do we think about some Responsibility from those selling Alcohol as it is obvious that the Buyer has non?

Not really a rant and certainly not just about the Locals as Wednesday Brought home a few Truths. Many, many do it. 

We as Foreigners should know better from the Controls we left behind or is that it, No Control.

Don't Drink and Drive, Period. 

post-2148-0-14149600-1450407198_thumb.jp Everyone but Lets Think On.  :thumbsup:

Jack :unsure:

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

DD is part of the reason I don`t drive here as I know(as you have said) through past experience that it will start OK with maybe 2 bears and go home but there is always a time when somebody turns up and you have 1 more ( or more likely a few more). And then driving is not safe ok if you just hurt yourself but what if you kill say somebody walking along the road. I have never seen anybody being stopped for DD.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I have never seen anybody being stopped for DD.

9 times out of 10 I reckon, the stopping Officer would smell of Drink especially after say 9pm.

just my Opinion But..............

Jack :cheers: [Not funny I guess for this Topic but if you can't beat them.]

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I came for the freedom of living in the 'wild west' type of environment.  I accept the consequences of my actions. If someone else wants to get crazy drunk and ride/drive around every day then I just stay out of their way.  When they die I have zero sympathy.  When they hit someone else and that person dies then I remind myself that they came here for the freedom and have accepted the consequences of that action.  To those, may they R.I.P.

To take someone's keys away is to stick my nose in their business.  If he is a friend then I need to talk to him when he is sober and tell him what I think.  If he continues to drink and drive when really sh&tfaced drunk then he probably will not be a close friend for long because I have learned not to do that and I expect my friends to learn like I did.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Yes a sad story about the fatalities.  But as far as forcing customers to hand over keys is beyond the responsibility of the bar owner.

The customer is above lawful age and should be the one to take responsibility for his actions.  Whilst there may be an innocent person injured or worse by his actions - we cannot play judge and jury.

You can warn them and suggest they leave car/bike at the bar but that it as far as I see it.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The anti drunk driving law only came in about June last year from what I read and it was March this year before they got any breathalyzing gadgets. Only a 150 of them according to this article below.

To me the problem is the innocent victims in drunk driving cases, I think bar owners and the public should at least attempt to stop a drunk from driving but it would be difficult to do.

Driving under the influence of alcohol is strictly against the law but if you’ve been getting away with it because of lax implementation, your happy days are almost over.

The Land Transportation Office (LTO) has officially announced that starting March 12, 2015, those 150 units of extremely expensive breath alcohol analyzers or ‘breathalyzers’ will finally be put to use in testing drivers suspected of driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol who fail field sobriety tests.

Motorists using a non-professional drivers license with a blood alcohol content (BAC) over 0.05% will be arrested for a minimum of three months, fined a minimum of Php20,000, license suspended for 12 months and the vehicle impounded.  In cases where DUI results in injuries and/or fatalities, fines ranging from Php100,000 to Php500,000 will be imposed on top of a longer jail term.

Those same penalties apply to drivers of trucks, buses, motorcycles and public utility vehicles with a professional license.  But they must not have a BAC higher than 0.00, in other words no trace of alcohol in their body.  Otherwise their license will immediately be revoked and penalties levied depending on the incident.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

The anti drunk driving law only came in about June last year from what I read and it was March this year before they got any breathalyzing gadgets. Only a 150 of them according to this article below.

To me the problem is the innocent victims in drunk driving cases, I think bar owners and the public should at least attempt to stop a drunk from driving but it would be difficult to do.

Driving under the influence of alcohol is strictly against the law but if you’ve been getting away with it because of lax implementation, your happy days are almost over.

The Land Transportation Office (LTO) has officially announced that starting March 12, 2015, those 150 units of extremely expensive breath alcohol analyzers or ‘breathalyzers’ will finally be put to use in testing drivers suspected of driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol who fail field sobriety tests.

Motorists using a non-professional drivers license with a blood alcohol content (BAC) over 0.05% will be arrested for a minimum of three months, fined a minimum of Php20,000, license suspended for 12 months and the vehicle impounded.  In cases where DUI results in injuries and/or fatalities, fines ranging from Php100,000 to Php500,000 will be imposed on top of a longer jail term.

Those same penalties apply to drivers of trucks, buses, motorcycles and public utility vehicles with a professional license.  But they must not have a BAC higher than 0.00, in other words no trace of alcohol in their body.  Otherwise their license will immediately be revoked and penalties levied depending on the incident.

Not going to hold my Breath on any of it. Can't speak for the other Places but here in Dumaguete they can't even enforce the helmet law and the last LTO in Charge that was trying to do is Job got moved to Bohol for his Trouble. ( Citing the Governors Driver on his way to work Didn't help) Reporting the Mayors Driver for Smoking on the Boulevard got him more bad Marks too. Surely nay Positively, Negros Oriental Province is on an Island outside, the PI Regime at times.

Jack :unsure:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Helmet, seatbelt, alcohol and drug laws are already on the books

So is, double parking, loading in unloading zone, u turns in the middle of a street, parking the wrong way, changing lanes with out a signaling, straddling lanes and a whole bunch of other things.

Hate to say it Jolly, but I have a feeling this is more of political butt cover/look what program I am passing. The only cases if have heard of where cars and alcohol are involved is when there is an accident and the blurb reads "the driver was under the influence" or there is a road rage incident and the blurb says the same thing.

Drunk driving is sort of like the seat belt law in a lot of the States, it is only enforced or cited when the Cop pulls you over for another violation.

9 times out of 10 I reckon, the stopping Officer would smell of Drink especially after say 9pm.

Here lies the crux of the problem Jack, why or when would a officer suspect DD. Usual give indicators are, weaving (normal driving here (NDH)), not staying in one lane (NDH), turning suddenly with out signaling (NDH), forgetting your signals are on (NDH), busting a stop sign (NDH). 

As a bottom line, I have never seen anyone (except at established checkpoints, where the officers don't have to do much, everyone is pulled over) sitting on the side of the road with a cop, ticket book in hand, getting a ticket.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Just the one we say then off we go meet some more mates or other Ex-pats and it's OK but just the one as I am Driving, 4 bars that's 4 Drinks, now you over the Limit in the West YEP! Bin there and done that, Haven't you?
No  :)

(Well. I did drink ONE drink once to avoid offending some Polish as "signing" of a verbal business deal, and then I drove home 70 km. If home had been in same town, I would have left the car and went by taxi.)