Drinking And Driving. (Seems A Big Tolerance Here In The Pi)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Just the one we say then off we go meet some more mates or other Ex-pats and it's OK but just the one as I am Driving, 4 bars that's 4 Drinks, now you over the Limit in the West YEP! Bin there and done that, Haven't you?
No  :)

(Well. I did drink ONE drink once to avoid offending some Polish as "signing" of a verbal business deal, and then I drove home 70 km. If home had been in same town, I would have left the car and went by taxi.)

Ahhh! so you Admit to Drinking and Driving then? No matter what the excuse or how many EH? Thomas that really does make you somewhat Normal?  :)

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I don't think we can expect a Filipino barman, bar manager or bar owner to tell anyone - Filipino or foreigner - that he is unfit to drive , still less to take the keys off him. The loss of face to a macho Filipino would be so great that he might feel compelled to resort to violence, and "who knows if foreigners are different"? 

• Like 4

bows00
Posted
Posted

Driving Under the Influence (DUI) is heavily enforced in Hawaii for the past 10 years.  But still, the statistics are still staggering on the odds that someone is over the limit, especially past 10 pm on a Friday.  There are random sobriety check points throughout the islands that I have fell victim to, twice, therefore I no longer go out for drinks with friends, and that is a huge negative impact on my social life.

However, both times I have been arrested, I was never charged with any criminal offense because I hired a DUI lawyer (for about $5000US).  Yes, and based on the amount of DUI cases available on island, these DUI lawyers make a ton of money.  And for the services rendered, heck, I know I can do what they do.  And those that can't afford a lawyer, well, they are the ones that make the state government richer by being convicted and paying the fine.  

So I can imagine the corruption to follow if the Philippines decided to strongly enforce DUI laws.  Maybe a good idea to send your sons and daughters to college to become a DUI lawyer...

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The anti drunk driving law only came in about June last year from what I read and it was March this year before they got any breathalyzing gadgets. Only a 150 of them according to this article below.

To me the problem is the innocent victims in drunk driving cases, I think bar owners and the public should at least attempt to stop a drunk from driving but it would be difficult to do.

Driving under the influence of alcohol is strictly against the law but if you’ve been getting away with it because of lax implementation, your happy days are almost over.

The Land Transportation Office (LTO) has officially announced that starting March 12, 2015, those 150 units of extremely expensive breath alcohol analyzers or ‘breathalyzers’ will finally be put to use in testing drivers suspected of driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol who fail field sobriety tests.

Motorists using a non-professional drivers license with a blood alcohol content (BAC) over 0.05% will be arrested for a minimum of three months, fined a minimum of Php20,000, license suspended for 12 months and the vehicle impounded.  In cases where DUI results in injuries and/or fatalities, fines ranging from Php100,000 to Php500,000 will be imposed on top of a longer jail term.

Those same penalties apply to drivers of trucks, buses, motorcycles and public utility vehicles with a professional license.  But they must not have a BAC higher than 0.00, in other words no trace of alcohol in their body.  Otherwise their license will immediately be revoked and penalties levied depending on the incident.

Mate I think they try to advise even in the UK but it don`t work as it usually backfires

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I don't think we can expect a Filipino barman, bar manager or bar owner to tell anyone - Filipino or foreigner - that he is unfit to drive , still less to take the keys off him. The loss of face to a macho Filipino would be so great that he might feel compelled to resort to violence, and "who knows if foreigners are different"? 

I had a friend who owned a pub(in the UK) and he would always bar the person the next day when they were sobre not when then were drunk

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I don't think we can expect a Filipino barman, bar manager or bar owner to tell anyone - Filipino or foreigner - that he is unfit to drive

I have noticed that most of the places where alcoholic foreigners congregate are owed by other foreigners.  I think its the foreign bar owners who are expected to take the keys from drunken foreigners.  Expected by some, anyway, not by me. 

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Ahhh! so you Admit to Drinking and Driving then? No matter what the excuse or how many EH? Thomas that really does make you somewhat Normal? :)
Yes I were normal ONE time 27 years ago :lol:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Ahhh! so you Admit to Drinking and Driving then? No matter what the excuse or how many EH? Thomas that really does make you somewhat Normal? :)

Normal yeh so you still did it was that when you were in business

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Normal yeh so you still did it was that when you were in business

???!  Although I spend much time preparing starting a NEW business in Phils, I'm STILL in business in Sweden. For instance a rather big economic consulting work for a client was finnished last Sunday... 

(=Trying to solve a big tax MESS in a company. One thing can't be solved. An other big thing the tax people said isn't allowed, I managed to change so it will be LESS tax than the level they complained at :mocking: 

(Back when I were 25 I started a DISTRIBUTION and PR business with rather many employee. Sold when I got bored of it.

Since then I have a CONSULTING business within organisation and economy, which has been including e g conecting West and East European companies and structuring computer software.

And after the move to Phils it's time for a PRODUCTION business. I like DIFFERENT types of challenges, specialy them many say are impossible... :lol: 

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

The loss of face to a macho Filipino would be so great that he might feel compelled to resort to violence

A headshot bullseye Andrew!   Judy and I were personally involved with a drunken PNP cop in San Jose, Batangas.  In the early afternoon along a roadside cafe, he followed us to our parked Jeep.  At that time, Judy was the most popular DJ at a local FM station in Batangas City. He was so infatuated with Judy because he finally met the mysterious voice of a native Batanganian with an American accent.  In his drunken stupor, all he wanted was to make a special request to dedicate (diti-kit) his favorite love song to one of his mistresses.  Judy promised him she will play it on the air that night.   She had one hell of a fan club there.  

Did I mentioned he was waving his cuarenta cinco (45) around (not at us) in full uniform.  Whether he was off duty or not, it was a common image of pot bellied PNP to show who's the town macho.  Yeah, and he was singing My Way too.

Please don't drink while holding a microphone.  Too many Filipinos have traded blood for blood because of that song, seriously.

Edited by Jake