Exit Ticket Required With 13A Visa?

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I was thinking I knew this one but since I bought one way tickets, I'm starting to get concerned. 

Time to ask the experts. :unsure:   My wife and daughter should be no problem, both are dual citizens with Philippine passports.  I on the other hand am traveling with a US passport and a 13a visa.  Will the airlines still want to see an onward ticket for me?  Before I thought no.  Now I'm thinking it may depend on the airline people.  We will be flying EVA Air and I hope I don't need the onward ticket.  I guess a call to EVA Air will be in order.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

A friend was in the same position and they asked for an onward ticket. But he as you are was under the impression that you don`t need one. I would just but the cheapest throwaway ticket I could get just to avoid the hassle.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted

A friend was in the same position and they asked for an onward ticket. But he as you are was under the impression that you don`t need one. I would just but the cheapest throwaway ticket I could get just to avoid the hassle.

Well, you are fast and correct.  I just got off the phone with EVA Air.  I was told even with the visa a traveler must have an onward ticket.  She did give me some advise when I mentioned the cheap throw away ticket.   She suggested I purchase early and get a refundable onward ticket.  Once through customs, just call and cancel the onward ticket.  Now I'm wondering if it is that easy.  And if it is why don't others do that instead of the throw away ticket?

Time for more research.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Last May we flew to Guam (I got my 13A in February). I flew on USA passport wife who is dual flew on Philippine passport. Round trip ticket only MNL/GUAM/MNL, no exit ticket. Was asked at check in for exit ticket, showed my yellow card, no problems.

Funny thing is, After the cost of getting the 13A, the travel tax (forget the proper name), exit tax. It might have been cheaper to just get a cheap throwaway ticket and keep using BB visa loololol :hystery:

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

For those using throw away tickets you might want to reconsider.  If you can find a flight out of the Philippines for less than $40-50 it may be okay for the throw away.  If you are paying more than $40. consider buying your exit ticket directly form an airline that has a cancel policy. Then once you have arrived in the Philippines call the airline and cancel the flight for a refund.  Yes the cost will usually be higher but you can cancel.  The two I checked were Philippines Airlines and has a $50. cancel policy for your refund and EVA Air has only a $40. cancel policy.  Should be easy enough! Hope this helps some others. :tiphat:

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I just got off the phone with EVA Air.  I was told even with the visa a traveler must have an onward ticket.

The onward ticket is only a requirement of a temporary visitor's visa (class 9)  You have a permanent resident's visa and they have given you the wrong information.  If you do indeed have a 13a then:

. . . under the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940, Section 13 (a) you are eligible for permanent residency in the Philippines. This visa is issued to an alien on the basis of his valid marriage to a Philippine citizen.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/permanent-resident-visa

Ask the EVA rep why you would need an exit ticket as a permanent resident?  Then email BI to get a letter to show them that you don't need it OR just get an onward and avoid any fuss  :hohoho_smiley:

• Like 5

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just got off the phone with EVA Air. I was told even with the visa a traveler must have an onward ticket.

That is wrong. A Sec13a visa is a permanent resident visa, it says Status: IMMIGRANT on the ACR card. There is no requirement for an onward ticket. You may get some airhead at the airport who says otherwise but once the matter is escalated they will be quickly overruled.

I just got off the phone with EVA Air.  I was told even with the visa a traveler must have an onward ticket.

The onward ticket is only a requirement of a temporary visitor's visa (class 9)  You have a permanent resident's visa and they have given you the wrong information.  If you do indeed have a 13a then:

. . . under the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940, Section 13 (a) you are eligible for permanent residency in the Philippines. This visa is issued to an alien on the basis of his valid marriage to a Philippine citizen.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/permanent-resident-visa

Ask the EVA rep why you would need an exit ticket as a permanent resident?  Then email BI to get a letter to show them that you don't need it OR just get an onward and avoid any fuss  :hohoho_smiley:

Good morning guys,

I will recall EVA Air.  Maybe I did not give them enough information.  I just told the lady I was traveling on a 13a visa.  I'm thinking if I tell her the 13a visa is a permanent resident immigrant visa she may have a different reply.  We shall see.  I'll post after the call.

edit; called but they are closed on the weekend.

Edited by intrepid
  • Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will recall EVA Air. Maybe I did not give them enough information. I just told the lady I was traveling on a 13a visa. I'm thinking if I tell her the 13a visa is a permanent resident immigrant visa she may have a different reply.

Not a good idea to use obscure statute numbers unique to a small country when talking to these people. You could also point out that, as a permanent resident of the Philippines, there is no legal requirement for you to leave the country except by order of deportation or extradition. That should put a end to the "onward ticket" nonsense. If not, escalate.

Edited by MikeB
  • Like 4

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I traveled to the US twice in 10 & 11. When you go to check in, you present your golden colored ACR-I Card (13A). It will show you as permanant resident (Immigrant). There is no exit ticket needed as you "Live" there. As mentioned earlier, do not refer to it as 13A to agencies outside of the PI. They won't know what that means unless they are closly familiar with the PI govt.

• Like 2