Exit Ticket Required With 13A Visa?

intrepid
Posted
Posted
On 12/28/2015 at 10:22 PM, intrepid said:

Although I feel confident in the information I received here and with EVA Air now that I have asked the correct question, I was not going to purchase an onward/exit ticket.  Again, now after today I’m not sure.
Interestingly, I was at the Philippine Embassy Washington DC at the Consular Office today, (see related post), applying for my visa.  I thought I’d ask about the visa and also if I would need an onward/exit ticket.  I was told I would receive a sticker in my passport and a sealed packet with instructions to report to BI asap with they year.  This is when I’ll receive the actual visa.  He also suggested it may be a good idea for the onward ticket, but was not sure.

Okay the final results. 

I did end up renting an onward ticket, cost $20.  I just did not want any hassle.  It's a good thing I had it because Even though I was flying EVA, United was my carrier from initial check in at Dullas to San Fransisco.  I showed my passport and visa but the agent demanded an onward ticket.  I asked for a supervisor and tried to explain and stated I had an onward ticket but should not have to present it.  Their system would not print out my boarding pass until they entered the onward ticket.  Then in San Fransisco all transfers had to present and get new boarding passes for EVA.  This agent again wanted to see an onward ticked but after showing the visa she decided on her own to ask a supervisor on her own.  I was right there and as soon as he looked at it he shook his head no onward ticked required.  I'm not waiting in Taipei for the last leg and to meet customs in PI.

Too tired to figure out why all the red!

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

The OP question is do you need an onward ticket with a 13A visa? The answer is definitely no. As long as you have your passport showing your 13A perm stamp and current 13A ACR-I card, you're good to go. I know because I've used it twice in 2010 & 2011. Just make sure you got your ECC & Re-entry permit credited to your card at the 13A window before you leave the PI.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Steve & Myrlita said:

The OP question is do you need an onward ticket with a 13A visa? The answer is definitely no. As long as you have your passport showing your 13A perm stamp and current 13A ACR-I card, you're good to go. I know because I've used it twice in 2010 & 2011. Just make sure you got your ECC & Re-entry permit credited to your card at the 13A window before you leave the PI.

100% correct. I have also used my 13a without an onward ticket. We flew to Guam last may and didn't have any problems.

Having said that, we used Philippine Airlines, so (hopefully) they are familiar with Philippine immigration law. Other carriers might not know all the ins and outs of the different types of visas so a person might run into a little hassle until a supervisor can be called.

Frankly, in my view there are very few reasons to get a 13a if you are married to a Filipina. a) you don't have to leave once a year to renew your Balikbayan visa b) you don't have to buy an onward ticket.

To be honest if a person plans on taking a vacation once a year the Balikbayan is the cheapest way to go. with a 13a we have to pay exit fees and get an exit clearance (plus pay the fees for the 13a visa)

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, scott h said:

with a 13a we have to pay exit fees and get an exit clearance

Not sure about this one but it certainly puts you in for the travel tax.:shades:

intrepid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Steve & Myrlita said:

Okay, maybe I was not clear in the OP.  I have learned a little along the way.  The 13A visa when obtained outside the Philippines is a temp 13A visa which is shown as single entry and does not become the real 13A visa until after entering the Philippines and reporting to immigration.  Also obtaining your visa outside the Philippines you do not yet have an ACR-I card.

Hope this helps understanding what I went through.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, scott h said:

Frankly, in my view there are very few reasons to get a 13a if you are married to a Filipina. a) you don't have to leave once a year to renew your Balikbayan visa b) you don't have to buy an onward ticket.

I'm not sure if you forgot a word, or NOT.  ??

florin1106
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Steve & Myrlita said:

Hi Steve..

I just want to make sure I did understand you at the end of your post..

1. Either Probationary or on Permanent 13A visa one needs an Exit Clearance Certificate...if  you want to travel outside Philippines right ?..and 

2. What is Re-Entry Permit Steve? Can you elaborate a bit?..You mention << credited to your card >>.

How is this Credited to ACR card?

Thank you

Chuck 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 5/2/2016 at 6:01 PM, Jack Peterson said:

Not sure about this one but it certainly puts you in for the travel tax.:shades:

FOREIGN NATIONALS SHOULD SECURE ECC
BEFORE LEAVING – BI

Manila, Philippines---The Bureau of Immigration (BI) reminded foreign nationals to secure an Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC) at BI offices before leaving the country to avoid being denied departure.

BI Spokesperson Elaine Tan said that based on airport statistics, foreign nationals who failed to present their ECCs comprised 33% of travelers who were denied departure. “It is unfortunate that we have to deny the travel of our foreign friends, but we have to implement the law”, Tan said.

Section 22-A of the Philippine Immigration Act provides that a foreign national who is about to depart from the Philippines temporarily or for good should seek clearance from the Commissioner of Immigration to insure that the foreign national has no pending obligation with the government of the Philippines.

The following foreign nationals are required to secure regular ECCs at any of the 17 BI offices[1] and present the same upon departure:
a.     Holders of Temporary Visitor Visa (tourist visa) who have stayed in the Philippines for six months or more;
b.     Holders of expired or downgraded immigrant or non-immigrant visas;
c.      Holders of valid immigrant or non-immigrant visas who are leaving for good;
d.     Philippine-born foreign nationals who will depart from the Philippines for the first time;
e.      Holders of tourist visa with Order to Leave;
f.       Seafarers who have stayed in the Philippines for 30 days or more.

Holders of valid immigrant or non-immigrant visas who intend to return to the Philippines may secure the ECC at the airport.

A fee of about Php 1,210 shall be collected for the ECC. “Additional fees may be charged if the foreign national is found to have arrears”, said Tan. Fees collected shall be fully accounted and remitted to the National Treasury.

Applications for regular ECCs shall be filed three days prior to departure and shall be valid for one month upon issuance. Foreign nationals must submit the following requirements upon filing of the application:
a.     Application form;
b.     Photocopy of passport (bio page, visa pages, latest arrival);
c.      Original and photocopy of ACR I-Card;
d.     Photocopy of receipt of latest visa extension;
e.      Photocopy of order of downgrading (if applicable);
f.       Five pieces 2x2 photo

“We likewise warn our foreign friends against fixers who issue fake and fraudulent ECCs to unsuspecting victims. We encourage them to file the ECCs by themselves or through accredited agents listed in our website www.immigration.gov.ph”, reminded Tan.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/109-april2015-pr/772-foreign-nationals-should-secure-ecc-before-leaving-bi

Also

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/emigration-clearance-certificate-ecc

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
On 5/2/2016 at 2:50 AM, florin1106 said:

2. What is Re-Entry Permit Steve? Can you elaborate a bit?..You mention << credited to your card >>.

A re-entry permit is similar to the US advanced parole. It is assumed that if you as a valid 13A holder leave the PI, you are assumed to give up your perm status here unless you get the re-entry permit. You get it at the same time as the ECC at the airport. Using NAIA Terminal 1 for my example, just before you get to the immigration counters, turn right and you will see 2 windows. Go there, present your passport, ACR-I card and approx P2820. This gives you your ECC & Re Entry Permit. They are coded to your ACR-I card. Then you can bypass the immigration counter and go directly to the departure area.

Upon return, the immigration officer at the counter will scan your ACR-I card to verify the above. All set. Go to customs then Welcome Home.  Easy enough?

florin1106
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Steve & Myrlita said:

A re-entry permit is similar to the US advanced parole. It is assumed that if you as a valid 13A holder leave the PI, you are assumed to give up your perm status here unless you get the re-entry permit. You get it at the same time as the ECC at the airport. Using NAIA Terminal 1 for my example, just before you get to the immigration counters, turn right and you will see 2 windows. Go there, present your passport, ACR-I card and approx P2820. This gives you your ECC & Re Entry Permit. They are coded to your ACR-I card. Then you can bypass the immigration counter and go directly to the departure area.

Upon return, the immigration officer at the counter will scan your ACR-I card to verify the above. All set. Go to customs then Welcome Home.  Easy enough?

Thank you Steve...

I got the picture now..

Have a good week ahead ..

Chuck