Life As A 'kalahati' (Half) Ex-Pat

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I'm bringing this up to let others know that it doesn't have to be, " I'm selling everything I have and moving to the Philippines" for whatever reason.
Yes, but it cost more to have double living.

(I plan to go to my birth country around one month per year to visit family and friends, but perhaps to do some work too if necesary. At least one client will be kept in Sweden from the business I have now before moving, but perhaps all can be handled through Internet.)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
At least one client will be kept in Sweden from the business I have now before moving, but perhaps all can be handled through Internet

Are you going to pay taxes to Philippines on that income (reference your opinion on the other thread.)

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

At least one client will be kept in Sweden from the business I have now before moving, but perhaps all can be handled through Internet

Are you going to pay taxes to Philippines on that income (reference your opinion on the other thread.)

Wow 

jpbago
Posted
Posted

We have done the 6 months in and 6 months out for 3 years now. It is more expensive that staying full time in PI, not just for the airfare but in maintaining 2 homes. Hopefully, the prices in real estate over time will compensate that. In PI, we are a family of 5 yet when we are in Canada, there still are 5 in our PI house as a SIS and nephew stay. There is nothing to do and no English spoken where I live in PI so for that, I like to return to Canada. There are plenty of Filipinos in Canada for my wife to speak with. My wife enjoys Canada very much for many reasons. She even likes the snow and cold clean air on her face even though there is not much when we return in the spring. In Canada. I have to do my income taxes in April. I get all my healthcare/medicals done free like dental, optical, prescriptions, physicals, and any operations. My wife gets free dental and optical. By staying 153 days in Ontario, I am covered all year by the Ontario Health Insurance, even while in PI up to certain limits which are higher than the costs are in PI. Our relatives like it when we go to Canada so that we can bring back real chocolates.post-2913-0-67046400-1450575922_thumb.jp Summers are quite nice in Southern Ontario. Here is a little know fact:

Hornbrook, California (the most northern city/town in California) 

Latitude Longitude 
41.91014 -122.55586 

Pelee Island, Ontario 
41.75593 -82.68834  

Which comes to prove that Pelee Island, Ontario is as southern as North California.

• Like 2

canadamale
Posted
Posted

ame='jpbago' timestamp='1450576065' post='169538'] We have done the 6 months in and 6 months out for 3 years now I think would be fabulous, the previous place I worked my workmate would do 3 weeks work in Canada and fly to Chiang Mai for 3 weeks and I stayed 9 weeks Canada and 3 weeks Makati. Unfortunately in my present job this is not possible. 6 months would be perfect.

• Like 3

ironmaiden
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've been doing the 6 months here 6 months there since 1999 but I have to tell you the 6 months in the Philippines are a lot shorter than the 6 months in Belgium ( where I still need to work).

Edited by ironmaiden
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My retirement will commence in 2020. :dance:  It's our plan is to spend several months each year in Philippines. 

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Splitting your time between two countries is a lot like splitting your time between two wives.  You'll certainly be happier and experience more, but neither will fully accept you or take you seriously.... and you might not feel whole.   Some expats do it and love it, but for most it will become tiresome and problematic.  Not being negative here, just realistic, IMHO.    

• Like 4