Saving Face And The Unexpected Quandry

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Not sure just what type of neighborhood you guys live in or walk through but if my partner was being called a prostitute I would move to a higher classed neighborhood ..... I personally have had more problems with foreigners than I have with locals ..... but then I don't drink or party with locals for many good reasons ..... as for loosing face luckily I have never had to encounter that in going on 9 years ..... but then as mentioned above I don't raise my voice ..... stare .... use profanity (out in public) or act like I'm better than the locals so I kinda feel like that might be a good start to getting along with others ..... some times when we venture out into a world we are not totally comfortable with we tend to throw up barriers ..... many times we don't see this or realize that it is happening I do this with foreigners because of bad experiences with them but equality cautious of local strangers .....

As far as demanding respect there is no such thing .... you earn it ..... I love the saying used by some folks ..... "don't dis me" ..... how the hell can I "dis" you if I don't even know you ..... what have you done for or to me to show that I should respect you ..... you put your pants on the same way I do ..... one leg at a time ..... so you deserve no special treatment from me .... and you won't get it ..... and I feel the same way about your treatment of me ..... JMHO           :28:  :merrychristmas: 

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

so you deserve no special treatment from me .... and you won't get it ..... and I feel the same way about your treatment of me ..... JMHO

Mike, that is exactly what I meant, a dose of their own medicine where deserved. :)

Jack :santa laugh:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Not sure just what type of neighborhood you guys live in or walk through but if my partner was being called a prostitute I would move to a higher classed neighborhood ..... I personally have had more problems with foreigners than I have with locals

2 thumbs up here.

It makes me wonder how many expats have tried living in different areas of the Philippines or even in different areas of their chosen city.  Neighborhoods DO make a huge difference.

I would encourage anyone who has had negative experiences with local people to follow Jimmy Buffet's song lyrics:

Changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes, 
Nothing remains quite the same.
Through all of the islands and all of the highlands, 
If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane
  • Like 5