Tired Of Manila/cebu Taxi's? Try Uber, Now Fully Legal In Philippines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I am going to give Uber a try next time I need a taxi in Manila!!

I tried it 'by accident' last time I was in Manila.

The front desk of the hotel offered to get a taxi for me and I said sure.  I sat and waited in the lounge for all of 5 minutes and the concierge came up to tell me my taxi was ready.  It was a nice new Toyota and looked more like a limo than a taxi.  The doorman gave me a slip of paper that told me how much to give the driver on arrival at the airport.  I was so thrilled I gave him a tip.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I am going to give Uber a try next time I need a taxi in Manila!!

I tried it 'by accident' last time I was in Manila.

The front desk of the hotel offered to get a taxi for me and I said sure.  I sat and waited in the lounge for all of 5 minutes and the concierge came up to tell me my taxi was ready.  It was a nice new Toyota and looked more like a limo than a taxi.  The doorman gave me a slip of paper that told me how much to give the driver on arrival at the airport.  I was so thrilled I gave him a tip.

Oh I thought with Uber you paid by C/C not to the Diver or am I not Understanding?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Oh I thought with Uber you paid by C/C not to the Diver or am I not Understanding?

I can only tell you what the hotel told me and what I actually did.  Perhaps I misunderstood and it was not Uber that they called.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I can only tell you what the hotel told me and what I actually did.  Perhaps I misunderstood and it was not Uber that they called.

Well it seems you had a good result, I only mentioned it based on what I had been reading  :thumbsup:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Right now Uber and Grab Taxi is suspended waiting the out come through the courts of a complaint filed by the Transport Group in Manila ..... the group claims that Uber and Grab are foreign owned and should not be allowed to operate here in the Philippines ..... Uber and Grab filed a TRO but as far as I know it didn't work ...... just more of the crab mentality showing through .... :unsure: :merrychristmas:

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Don't know if they are operating already, but when in Manila this November, they were showing Uber choppers in the news.  Fare within the city is something like 3,000 pesos per person.  It is for the people who can afford to pay more so as to avoid traffic.

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

This seems to becoming widely accepted throughout the world, maybe help get decent taxi I fupIrices.

I find taxi prices are not usually a problem in Manila. Finding a good taxi driver ( one whom is not hyped up on shabu or pills to stay awake for his 24 hr shift / does not try to fit his cab in any and every  hole he sees in traffic whether it advances him or not / taxi cab that the brakes do not squeal and the front end does not clunk is a bigger problem. The problem I find with uber is I do not usually carry my credit card with me. Also I would need to upgrade to a better phone, my phone did not want to upload the app. $2900 peso phone just doesn't do it hahaha

The Uber driver does not handle money. You pay using the app on your phone and have your credit card data on file with Uber. So you don't need to have your credit/debit card with you. Yeah, you do need a phone with a data plan so you can use the App.

I have had a few bad taxi rides in Manila. One in particular caused me a great deal of concern... The taxi driver was not taking us where we wanted to go... thought he knew better which hotel we should stay at. For a brief moment I considered abandoning the taxi while it was stopped in the street. Didn't because it was on Roxas Blvd with like 5 lanes each way and we had a lot of luggage also.

Edited by earthdome

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I don't know, it might just be me. But I believe that cab drivers are the same the world over,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if you act like a wide eyed bumpkin right off the farm they will try to take advantage of you. :cheersty:

I take exception to that ill thought out remark. I worked as a cab driver for a number of years in the uk and the vast majority are decent, honest, hardworking individuals, including myself. I accept that there are a minority that try it on but that is no reason to tar every driver with the same brush. In my experience it is usually the bad customer that tries to rip off the driver.

Regarding taxis around the world, I have used them in many countries and never had a problem with overcharging or drivers with bad attitude.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I take exception to that ill thought out remark

Well Virgin, I am sorry you took offense to my observation and experiences and I am sure that the VAST majority of taxi drivers the world over are honest, hardworking family men. However as the old saying goes, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". After all  there are 180,000 United States Marines currently, but the only one anyone can name is PFC Pemberton. 

Currently in my home town of San Diego CA. (which is a major tourist destination) a large portion of cabbies are recent immigrants from Somalia. There have been numerous complaints there of overcharging, taking long routes, or refusing to make short runs, almost always from tourists.

I have used them in many countries and never had a problem with overcharging or drivers with bad attitude.

This I agree with, I have used taxis all over the world also, but not being from the country where I am taking the taxi, frankly I have no idea if the driver is taking the shortest route or not, after all, in those countries I am the bumpkin :thumbsup: .

Again, no offense intended, just an observation of a very widely held belief. :cheersty:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

We have had Uber here in Bacolod for about 3 months now but we have never tried them .... they usually have their cell phones mounted on the dashboard :merrychristmas: