Not So Much A Scam As A Happening ( Electric Pilfering!)

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I'm kinda curious ..... don't they have to attach a wire to your power cable so they can transfer electricity from your line to theirs ?????? ...... so if they do the wire can be traced back to their residents ..... unless of course they bury the cord ..... but then with the mess of wires I've seen going into squatters areas there is no way to untangle that crap ..... luckily we won't have that problem as our cable from the meter runs down inside a concrete pole and underground in conduit to the house ..... the pole sits on the property line between the two townhouses ..... with a wall between the two .....

The only time we were robbed when it comes to electricity was with our former landlord .... we had a sub-meter with them and even now 3 years later we don't spend near as much even with us using a small aircon at night in the bedroom (funny how old age makes you seek more creature comforts) ...... :28: :merrychristmas:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I'm kinda curious ..... don't they have to attach a wire to your power cable so they can transfer electricity from your line to theirs ??????

Oh Yes and it can be Done as I have witnessed, these guys have a keen eye for spaghetti and their equipment is pretty sophisticated to get this Pilfering under Control Of course it will never cease as the bad guys always seem to one step ahead most of the time.The Sub meter episodes are being looked into as this is another thing that needs addressing urgently, I am confident they will get that under control as well. I won't say more at this time as I should not nor will not compromise the work they are doing. It really is for all consumers benefit  :thumbsup:

Jack :unsure:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
don't they have to attach a wire to your power cable

Reading 'between the electric lines' I am guessing that the thieves do indeed need to attach a wire to your power cable but I picture a wire with a razor blade soldered to the end of it that just slices into your wire a bit and is held with tape.  This can be attached after dark and removed before daylight and would pilfer enough juice to run some lights and a tv, or so I would guess.

My physics class of years ago taught me that you can pick up electric current via induction with no need of wires but I am guessing that is beyond the means of the average pilferer.  When relatives used to pilfer my electric they just scraped a bare spot on the main incoming line and wrapped their pirate line around that bare wire.  But then, I knew what they were doing at that time.  It just amazed me that they do not even turn the power off to do it. Brave or stupid I know not which.

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
The Fluctuations were suspected to be "Pilfering" I was lucky enough to be allowed to attend with the team to Investigate this

Jack. The meter holder owner was billed for the consumption right?

Very, very common in squatter areas in Quezon City. Meralco does not have the right to deny connections to squatters (this is me not the Swedish guy talking, but I was told that). The meter holder then allows the tap ins, I saw 10 or 12, but it might go more.

Now the way it works is that the billee, the payee gets the bill for all the households. They then have a very heated meeting when they decide how much everyone is to contribute. Typical Filipino's they have a big fight, then everyone throws in some money and returns to normal.

Is that what we are talking about here?

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

The Fluctuations were suspected to be "Pilfering" I was lucky enough to be allowed to attend with the team to Investigate this

Jack. The meter holder owner was billed for the consumption right?

Very, very common in squatter areas in Quezon City. Meralco does not have the right to deny connections to squatters (this is me not the Swedish guy talking, but I was told that). The meter holder then allows the tap ins, I saw 10 or 12, but it might go more.

Now the way it works is that the billee, the payee gets the bill for all the households. They then have a very heated meeting when they decide how much everyone is to contribute. Typical Filipino's they have a big fight, then everyone throws in some money and returns to normal.

Is that what we are talking about here?

Not really Chris with Sub meters many are being Over rated and thus tenants are over charged this is in fact Illegal, if a Land owner, Account Holder lets tapping go on then he is an Idiot and could be brought to book, What I am on about is your next Door neighbour Literally Stealing your Electric.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I would like to expand on my last Post but to be Frank I am too tired so Tomorrow I will explain about overcharging on a Government Utility,  the VAT and Tax  unauthorized collection off as this is what it amounts to.

Jack :)

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,

For me, I think the most intriguing part of this OP, is how do they do it without getting fried?  I've been working around electricity (including RF and nuclear energy) and trying to think of ways how to tap into a live wire(s) of 220VAC, is beyond me.

Here is a chart regarding the different levels of current (amps).  It doesn't matter about voltage -- 220 vs 120, it's the current that will give you the 60 Hz dance: notice around 30 ma (500 ma is half an amp), you may lose muscle control.  Meaning you're unable to let go.  If you're wearing rubber slippers and it's raining, the path for least resistance will go through the heart on the way down to earth ground.  You're toast, like fried bacon.

post-686-0-55079000-1450614693_thumb.png

Thanks for the heads up Jack P.  We look forward to your next investigative reporting.......

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

In order for "your" electricity to be stolen a wire connection must be attached to your service after the meter.

Jake is correct, the amount of current that could kill an adult is quite low. There are simple precautions that can be taken to mitigate risk but tapping into a live service is highly dangerous. SOme years ago in the Cebu newspaper The Freeman they featured a story of a man electrocuted playing around in one of the wire rat's nest. They sharedhe was badly burned and both testicals exploded. 

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)
SOme years ago in the Cebu newspaper The Freeman they featured a story of a man electrocuted playing around in one of the wire rat's nest. They sharedhe was badly burned and both testicals exploded. 

I wonder if that was a planted story to try and discourage people from tapping into live 220.

I know it worked for me. I will never... ever... tap into a live electrical circuit. Just the thought of... I can't even repeat it!

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 4