2Nd Severe Smog Alert

Jake
Posted
Posted

Wow, is it really that bad?

post-686-0-72326000-1450647348_thumb.jpg  post-686-0-93182500-1450647381_thumb.jpg  post-686-0-33131300-1450647418_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

canadamale
Posted
Posted

i was sitting in the airport in Beijing airport and when you looked out across the runway it was like I was in the middle of a forest fire, another time it was clear with nice blue sky. So I would say yes it can be that bad

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The pictures look something out of a science fiction film.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

It is starting to get bad in Pattaya also.  Not as bad as Beijing but give it time.  Rarely go to Bangkok but I am told it is worse.

My time is coming to an end here in Bangkok.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

It is starting to get bad in Pattaya also.  Not as bad as Beijing but give it time.  Rarely go to Bangkok but I am told it is worse.

My time is coming to an end here in Bangkok.

stuffed the last word up, should have been Pattaya of course.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It looks as bad as Prince George, Canada on a bad day.  I wonder if it smells as bad.  Perhaps they should take a lesson from the PR guys in Prince George who say "Don't worry, its only steam"

• Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

The pix look like a clear day.????The official index is 271 as I write from somewhere in North China.

Meanwhile a Kiwi friend tells me that the Christchurch city council is worried because the index reached 25: on one day in the last five years.

Cough cough

• Like 1

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

I'm also stationed in China, yes it's absolutely awful. Many people are leaving, second red alert in weeks. Also the Chinese are getting increasingly informed and worried about the topic, parents demanding that schools install air filters, more and more people wearing masks outside. 

On some days the visibility is less than 100m, it feels very apocalyptic. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Three or four years ago at a regular evening coffee gathering of old timers, a friend of mine proudly told me that his adult daughter had taken a job teaching English in mainland China. I do not recall the city. 

Two months later he told us that she had to be medivacted out.... she experienced sudden onset breathing problems due to the air pollution. Must have tripped a threshold of her coping ability.

The thing was...... they had her on a plane and out of the country in 24 hours. Reason was..... it had happened so many times before that the had the medical evacuation  routine down cold. Foreign English teacher from America (probably other Anglo countries as well where they recruited their natural speakers)... ?  Her aspiration system shutting down...??  Get her out of here ASAP.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

They send a lot of that to Hong Kong, I have 2 apps on my phone so I always know the air condition in addition to the regular weather. Will be in Duma this time next week so probably will be deleting the apps - and breathing better (I hope).