Solar Panels - Need Suggestions,advice And Any Infos Related To Sp

florin1106
Posted
Posted

Hello crowd and Happy Holidays !

Have a house in Panglao Island and I intend to install Solar Panels sometimes in 2016.

I know very little or nothing about installing these panels, electricity, electronics, soldering, connecting Inverter to the system, installing new batteries, etc..

In my calculations I will need about 2000 Watts to cover mostly the Air Cons and Fridges the hungriest of the appliances..

I keep watching videos < How To>  in youtube and learn quite a bit every week..

There are still lots and lots things to learn...

One 100 Watts panel in CD r King is about 4000 pesos..20 panels plus Control Charger, plus Power Inverter and about 10 or 12 batteries would be  too costly so I decided to build myself all the panels..

I start buying from E-Bay slowly small Solar Cells ( 6 by 3 inches) plus soldering guns, flux pens, diodes,cables, connectors, etc..

Anybody out there who has experienced this?..or has an existing system already? 

Any suggestion will be appreciated 

Thank you guys

Chuck

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I know very little or nothing about installing these panels, electricity, electronics, soldering, connecting Inverter to the system, installing new batteries, etc..

You and me both brother. Frankly I don't think we have any members that are solared up. When I know nothing, I go to the experts. I googled "solar power Philippines" came up with some stellar reviews (naturally) and some companies that do install. 

I was thinking of solar panels but decided against. Why? Unsure how they would stand up to a typhoon. Depending on our ages, would we ever see the day when the savings from solar will cover the cost of installation. And a big one, unlike the states, solar really doesn't add to the value of the home.

Anyway, I think you might have to do your own research on this one,,,,,,,,,,good luck :cheersty:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have a good friend who has been doing all this research over the past year.  His house will be set up with solar by early next year and it will take a couple of months to see the proof that he did it right.

If you are still looking for answers in a few months then I shall drop by and take some pictures and ask him to give me a synopsis.  He has been talking my ear off about it for a year now but I am afraid I let it go in one ear and out the other.  He expects it will cost him about US$2000 for a system that will cover all his electric use during the day and then he can just use the power from the lines at night.  He does not want the expense of batteries.

His plan is to push unused solar power back into the Noreco lines and get a credit for this power so that when he uses the Noreco power at night it will just be using the credit he has built up.  He says 'everyone is doing it now' but I wonder what Noreco has to say about this?

• Like 3

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

It sounds from your post you wish to build a substantial solar power array to provide you with a regular power supply to run heavy drain appliances. I think you are being overly optimistic unless you are going to invest a serious amount of money. I use solar on my boat in the UK to satisfy fairly modest power requirements. 530 watts of solar at 12 volts which provide around 30 amps max and an average of around half that on a good day. In overcast conditions it gives about 7 amps. You really need to do some serious research to avoid making an expensive mistake. First, there are different types of solar panel, mains voltage ie 220 or so, and then lower voltages such as 12 volts. Also there are different types of construction such as mono-crystaline and poly-crystalline and the more basic amorphous type. Each have their advantages depending on the ambient light conditions. Also temperature plays an important part in the panels output, the warmer the ambient temperature the less the output for a given panel so they need to be well ventilated for optimum performance. Another consideration is the type of regulator you use. Basically there are two types, a PWM (pulse width modulation) and the more advanced MPPT type (maximum power point tracking). The latter can give up to 30% more output than the PWM but if you have multiple panels and they are not all producing the same output then due to the software algorithms used, the MPPT can be less efficient than the PWM.

Also are you going to wire multiple panels in series or parallel? Again it depends on how they are going to used. I see you are currently purchasing multiple, smaller panels. 6"x 3" which is really not the way to go. Every joint and length of cable run will reduce to output of your panels due to voltage drop. You will need thick cable and short runs to keep voltage drop to a minimum. Fewer larger panels would be more efficient than many smaller ones. Are you planning to run these appliances direct from your panels or use them to charge deep cycle batteries? That opens up a whole new discussion topic in itself. But to be realistic you really need to have some power storage facility to iron out the peaks and troughs of the solar output. There is no one case fits all answer.

There is a wealth of information on the subject out there on the net. I would strongly suggest doing a lot of research so you are satified in your own mind the correct way to go forward to satisfy your personal requirements.

Ken

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I wonder what Noreco has to say about this?

They Actively encourage it, as it relieves the load at Peak times during the Day and of course at night the Load is less anyway, I believe they do not give a full credit on feed back but not sure what the % is, maybe when I can get Azon to sit still awhile, I will see if she knows.

Jack :)

• Like 1

florin1106
Posted
Posted

Hi Scott...

Yes, definitely, I need to do more research and learn more 'cause this is not as easy as installing a door knob..

Scott regarding your worries about the Typhoon...Yes you may be right but me think if have all panels Welded up on Angle bars or tie them up with multiple screws top and bottom it may Hold during a nasty storm ?? I really don't know..

I have already asked the people who welded the trusses on my house to Weld some angle bars ready for future panels..

I will have to look more into this..

Now, forgive me but I tend to disagree with you saying a Solar Panel system will Lower the value of the house..I think it will Add some value for the house..??!

Thanks again for your input

Chuck

You and me both brother. Frankly I don't think we have any members that are solared up. When I know nothing, I go to the experts. I googled "solar power Philippines" came up with some stellar reviews (naturally) and some companies that do install. 

I was thinking of solar panels but decided against. Why? Unsure how they would stand up to a typhoon. Depending on our ages, would we ever see the day when the savings from solar will cover the cost of installation. And a big one, unlike the states, solar really doesn't add to the value of the home.

Anyway, I think you might have to do your own research on this one,,,,,,,,,,good luck :cheersty:

• Like 1

florin1106
Posted
Posted

Hello Dave..

Here in Panglao Island  the electricity is owned and run by BOHECO ...I am almost sure that they will NOT give credit to anyone if there is a surplus of consumption as you pointed out in that example with Noreco !

One time when paying the bill I asked a lady /staff member at their office in a Mall..about this credit back to me etc..She start laughing assuring me that there no such pay back ! She never heard about this ..

Now please Dave , when your friend is starting to build his system or he has already the system up and running maybe you can arrange I'll to pay him a visit if he agrees..of course..

By my preliminary calculations the whole system will be more than $2,000.00 bucks! Way more than that! Maybe double !

I say this because I would like to have my system NOT only during day time..I need to store it to have the energy during night and during cloudy days!

I intend to build these Solar Panels myself rather than paying 4000 pesos each at cd r king..I need about 20 panels ( of 100 Watts each) times 20 equal about 80,000 pesos. One solar Panel I calculated will cost me about max. 1500 pesos That includes the Solar Cells, 2 pane of 3 mm glass and one 5 meter Aluminium Angle bar for the frame.

Yes you can drop by anytime if you want ..I did not start it anything yet, still buying slowly materials ( solar cells from e-bay) and more important I open often youtube and try to learn from there..Very good instructional videos..Plenty of how to 

Have a good one

take care

Chuck

I have a good friend who has been doing all this research over the past year.  His house will be set up with solar by early next year and it will take a couple of months to see the proof that he did it right.

If you are still looking for answers in a few months then I shall drop by and take some pictures and ask him to give me a synopsis.  He has been talking my ear off about it for a year now but I am afraid I let it go in one ear and out the other.  He expects it will cost him about US$2000 for a system that will cover all his electric use during the day and then he can just use the power from the lines at night.  He does not want the expense of batteries.

His plan is to push unused solar power back into the Noreco lines and get a credit for this power so that when he uses the Noreco power at night it will just be using the credit he has built up.  He says 'everyone is doing it now' but I wonder what Noreco has to say about this?

• Like 1

florin1106
Posted
Posted

Hello Kenny

I will have to first apologize for my mistake by not specifying exactly the type of < panels 6x3 inch > I want to use..

Ken, I meant I am buying right now Solar CELLS 6x3 inches each..Not Solar Panels ! Sorry Mea Colpa !

These Cells are to be soldered in series ( each one gives away about 3.4 Watts) on a piece of hard plastic or Glass as a backing..!

There will be about 30 or 31 Solar Cells to One Panel which will give away about 100 Watts of electricity.

I already bought about 500 Cells from e-bay ( coming from Germany) and I need another 2 or 300 more..They are not that cheap ( but is getting cheaper though...)

I want to build these panels by myself because it will cost me less than half the price of one piece in CD r King.

It looks you are quite knowledgeable about this, I am still learning, I watch many videos in youtube ..Many videos show step by step how to connect, install, run, etc etc..

Of course I will take also a qualified Electrician to help me out when I am ready .. just to make sure I do not make any costly mistakes..

By the way I have seen in photos only these kind of Regulators. They call there Inverter or Converter....and yes I have read about MPPT the ones you are talking about..They recommend for residential use only MPPT. You are right ...

Yes I intend to use them with Batteries and yes I need to buy these  Deep Cycle Ones as they are recommended and store the energy longer..They are also better quality..These batteries are mainly use in Marine world right ?

Thanks Ken for your post..

I will post here when I am ready and how it'll be going 

take it easy..

Chuck

It sounds from your post you wish to build a substantial solar power array to provide you with a regular power supply to run heavy drain appliances. I think you are being overly optimistic unless you are going to invest a serious amount of money. I use solar on my boat in the UK to satisfy fairly modest power requirements. 530 watts of solar at 12 volts which provide around 30 amps max and an average of around half that on a good day. In overcast conditions it gives about 7 amps. You really need to do some serious research to avoid making an expensive mistake. First, there are different types of solar panel, mains voltage ie 220 or so, and then lower voltages such as 12 volts. Also there are different types of construction such as mono-crystaline and poly-crystalline and the more basic amorphous type. Each have their advantages depending on the ambient light conditions. Also temperature plays an important part in the panels output, the warmer the ambient temperature the less the output for a given panel so they need to be well ventilated for optimum performance. Another consideration is the type of regulator you use. Basically there are two types, a PWM (pulse width modulation) and the more advanced MPPT type (maximum power point tracking). The latter can give up to 30% more output than the PWM but if you have multiple panels and they are not all producing the same output then due to the software algorithms used, the MPPT can be less efficient than the PWM.
Also are you going to wire multiple panels in series or parallel? Again it depends on how they are going to used. I see you are currently purchasing multiple, smaller panels. 6"x 3" which is really not the way to go. Every joint and length of cable run will reduce to output of your panels due to voltage drop. You will need thick cable and short runs to keep voltage drop to a minimum. Fewer larger panels would be more efficient than many smaller ones. Are you planning to run these appliances direct from your panels or use them to charge deep cycle batteries? That opens up a whole new discussion topic in itself. But to be realistic you really need to have some power storage facility to iron out the peaks and troughs of the solar output. There is no one case fits all answer.
There is a wealth of information on the subject out there on the net. I would strongly suggest doing a lot of research so you are satified in your own mind the correct way to go forward to satisfy your personal requirements.

Ken

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Chuck

Please  type under the quotes so they appear at the top.  :thumbsup:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Now, forgive me but I tend to disagree with you saying a Solar Panel system will Lower the value of the house..I think it will Add some value for the house..??!

Sorry my friend, as usual I don't proof read what I post, so I probably was not clear in what I meant.

I do not think it will make the house loose value at all, but I do not think it will add value to it either like the homes we have in our home countries where things like this will increase property value.

Anyway, looks like we have some members that know what they are talking about, so I am going to monitor with interest. Good luck :cheersty: