Solar Panels - Need Suggestions,advice And Any Infos Related To Sp

fred
Posted
Posted (edited)

Chuck..I know a guy nr Loon that has a 3K solar system.. I think he said it cost him 6K $$..

Its easy for some people to say its not worth the hassle but after the one month outage we had after Yolanda I beg to differ..

I know quite a few people that moved away to places like Cambodia because they could not handle life without power.

Our bill on Panglao averages 10.00 Peso per KWH BTW over a year .

The battery I am waiting to be produced in China is a copy of the Tesla battery.. Google, POWER WALL.

Edited by fred
  • Like 1

fallonwm
Posted
Posted (edited)

These guys are great. Used them and recommend them. google solarpowersolutions

Sent from my LG-V400 using Tapatalk

Edited by scott h
  • Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

These guys are great. Used them and recommend them. google solarpowersolutions

Sent from my LG-V400 using Tapatalk

When I Google THAT I don't get anything useful. Maybe I Google wrong or need more information?

A little help? Maybe PM me a link if it can't be posted. I am hungry for more information. Thanks.

Edited by GregZ

fallonwm
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sorry not sure what happened

Think it was because I was using a tablet

So the website is: www.solarpowersolutions.ph

The guy I recommend is Alan Abear - his contact information is on the website

I have no financial or professional interest in recommending this individual

He is good and reliable.

This is the kind of information I would welcome from forums of this type.

Note from the boss. Leave this post alone as it is not breaking the rules. The post that did break the rules from another member has been dealt with by me. 

JGF

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I intend to do absolutely the same..He has done IMO so far a very good job..

I will keep updating as the work progresses but let me just mention, if anyone is near the Dumaguete area, you could go direct to the source to get this done.  My buddy is getting 75% of his advice, materials and workmanship from a fellow named Brian who owns and operates the Finish Line restaurant at the Duma/Sibulan airport.  Brian has his restaurant operating on solar power and his sideline is setting up solar systems for people.  He is a very busy man so budget a lot of time if you want his help.

• Like 2

florin1106
Posted
Posted

Using my highest monthly electrical bill of 6,000 pesos a month as an average, it would take approximately 7 years for a solar system to pay for itself.

If the price of gas is any indication then our electric bills could go down over the next 7 years so it would take even longer for the solar system to pay for itself.  Such is my hope  :dance:  as solar power is not affordable to me.

Hi, Dave..

I, personally, do not see the price of electricity going down..Going up yes but not down..These Vultures will not allow this to go down..We wish !

Also the price of gas..?? It may go to $40,00 a barrel this year but not lower than $25-$26.00 per barrel..It touched $27.00 last week but it bounced back to $31.00 right now..It's already a big turmoil in the world markets because of oil.. 

Going back to Solar Panel a poster here has a friend who built himself ( DIY) a 3Kw system in his place in Bohol for $6,000.00 !! That is about 282,000 pesos...more or less at today exchange. That is exactly to what I said earlier..For such system one will pay Less than 300,000 pesos.

Sooo forget about that price of 495,000 the Cebu company is charging people..

Do it yourself from A to Z or buy all materials and put someone to do it for you..

Take care

Chuck

• Like 1

florin1106
Posted
Posted

Yes DIY !To build a Solar Panel is not rocket science or nano molecular nuclear particle fusion..

Agree 110% Florin, DIY would be the only way to go IMHO at least cost wise. If a guy had the tools, the technical know how, the patience and  the cash available to do the job right from the start.

I meet only one of those criteria :hystery: .

But know this, I will be standing on the sideline cheering you on all the way. You won't hear any derogatory comments when a guy can try something I know I can't :tiphat: .

I will post here every piso I will spend with all this..

This is where the rubber meets the road, and I am sure all of us here on the board are looking forward to seeing this project started, completed and what the final cost is. Until a chap like yourself undertakes something like this, its all just academic chin wagging.

Good luck brother :cheersty: .

Thank you for encouragement Scott...

I will surely carry on with this Project. The only thing that is slowing me down is Money..My house is not ready so the money that I have, go to different priorities..

The Tools you mention before are very basic..nothing complicated..The Knowledge is acquiring by watching youtube ( with many replays) and learn from others..It looks difficult from the outside when we don't know the inns and outs..but once we start digging deeper it start making some sense...in my opinion..

The bottom line -- It's not Complicated at all !

Here is a list of some basic tools one needs to start.I have already bought them all..

1 Hammer = 100 pesos

2 screwdrivers = 100 pesos

1 Hacksaw = 125 pesos

2 good saw blades = 110 pesos

1 level 1.20 meter long ( simple one not fancy ( 250 pesos at Unitop store) 

1 Measure tape 3 or 5 meters long = 60 pesos

1 Soldering Gun anywhere bet. 40 an 100 watts = 140 pesos at CD r King..

1 Caulking Gun = 80 pesos

1 Utility Knife = 20 pesos

1 Electrical Drill / Driver with a 3/8 inch chuck = 1,700 pesos. It's not a brand name but we are not professionals to need it for every day use. I have seen one Drill even cheaper at Unitop Store for 1,100 pesos. Of course is Chinese !! 

3-4 Drill Bits ( 5 and 6 mm ) HSS or Cobalt..= 100 pesos

It'll be nice to also have a small Vice ( I bought one for 1,600 Pesos at Tire Queen 4 inch).

If one wants to go fancy one can buy a Chop Saw or a Mitre Saw, ( saves the elbow grease when cutting ) etc etc..

Take care

Chuck

• Like 1

florin1106
Posted
Posted

Chuck..I know a guy nr Loon that has a 3K solar system.. I think he said it cost him 6K $$..

Its easy for some people to say its not worth the hassle but after the one month outage we had after Yolanda I beg to differ..

I know quite a few people that moved away to places like Cambodia because they could not handle life without power.

Our bill on Panglao averages 10.00 Peso per KWH BTW over a year .

The battery I am waiting to be produced in China is a copy of the Tesla battery.. Google, POWER WALL.

Hi Fred ..

Welcome to this topic..

It is very nice to know that there is a guy who already built this system close to my place..Loon is about 1.5 hours drive from my house and if you can talk to him and agree on,  I would like one day, at his convenience, to pay him a visit..

Are you going to build your system too? Is this why you waiting for a Tesla clone battery?

Tesla is very expensive ab. $3,000.00 each ! Shoot ! This is Lamborghini stuff ! Don't need that..!!

Yes I'll Google for Power Wall..

Keep in touch Fred...

Thanks

Chuck

Danao, Panglao, Bohol

robert k
Posted
Posted

I read an article on the Tesla battery and at the end, it seemed there was nothing really revolutionary about the battery. The controller that converts the charge to house current at 92% efficiency (sold separately at additional cost) would seem to be the truly revolutionary part of the system.

Finding batteries an interesting topic I did a small amount of research. Looking for an alternative battery pack I recalled the Vectrix motorcycles (not to be confused with the usual e-bike) which came with lead acid or optionally with Nickel Metal Hydryde NiMh batteries (packs). NiMh are also commonly used in hybrid cars (packs). I believe that NiMh batteries are within the realm of user service, you can buy replacement cells and the equipment to charge and discharge individual cells that you replaced should be available at a fairly reasonable cost. If you replace a NiMh cell it needs to closely match the other cells or it will be over/undercharged and you will probably have another failure. NiMh battery packs have twice the energy density of lead acid batteries, essentially, they are half the weight.

Lithium Ion packs have an energy density twice that of NiMh, meaning they should be half the weight of NiMh and 1/4 the weight of equivalent lead acid. As with most things, the more advanced it is, the more expensive it is. car makes other than Tesla seem to be sticking with NiMh for the time being. If I recall correctly, Tesla isn't showing a profit. All these packs I would worry about the PCB which is the protective control board of which there will be several in any large pack. Losing any part of the pack with probably put you out of business until it is repaired and your local Octagon may not carry them. Markup on quality replacement cells online looked to me to probably be about 300-400% (what a scam!) and the replacement will need to be just as good as the original. Repairman or repair under warrantee? Where are you going to find that?

I considered the thought of tying a hybrid car into someone's home grid. You need a quality storage right? You are doing this to save money and or have uninterrupted power? Excess power could be used in your car, the cars internal combustion engine could recharge it's battery in an emergency. The battery pack in the car could extend your battery storage, I doubt it would replace your home storage unless your needs were very modest.

I think lead acid is the way to go for one reason only but it is a big one. In the Philippines...Low tech is KING. Lead acid is junior high chemistry and the control of the batteries, whether wind, solar or water wheel is used for charging is mature technology. Remember that Obsolete does not mean it doesn't work, it means people stopped doing it that way.

Does it really matter to you how compact your battery pack is on your home system?

A link that gives a fair tutorial about types of batteries / packs.

http://www.hybridcars.com/hybrid-car-battery/

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

Hi guys,  just spent 10 minutes looking through this one and some really good stuff.  I am building 250m2 house at moment and have factored in solar system.

If interested below is budget spec and quote i got for 3.31 KWp:-

13units   Mp-Tec S-Line 255w Solar Panels Made in Germany 10 years Warranty/25years Performance Warranty

1 unit      SMA Sunny Boy 3000 inverter Made in Germany with 5 years warranty with an option to buy extended warranty up to 20years.

1 system Mp-tec Complete Mounting System Made in Germany 2 years workmanship warranty.

This system will give you a savings of Php3,800 to Php5,400 monthly using Php10-14 per kilowatt costs.

Per 1KWP will require 9sqm roof area and ideal should be facing south.

Installed would be Peso 313,000

Tried to upload image but cant for some reason :(

I think i will definitely be doing solar, no batterys, size system correctly so credit back to Electric Company when not using what I produce!