Dumaguete

Chris 77
Posted
Posted

Hi this is my first post in here. Ive lived in Olongapo city for about 5 years now but realy need to move. I am away for a month at work then back here for a month and always find myself flying to Cebu then touring from there. Diving and exploring. I like the visayas much better and want to move to Duma. It is easier and cheaper to get to better beaches from there. My girl is studying again and the kids are 6 and 3. I want them to gro up in a better environment.

Now my questions. Does anyone live in Duma or can give me more advice.

I just want to know where is good areas to stay where it is close to schools shopping and safe to go walk with the dogs and kids. Also if anyone knows of a good private school for the kids.

I am going there around the 20th of January to have a look at some places and want to move in March.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Several months ago I was set to move to Duma for our child's education then re-evaluated the whole thing and decided I didn't want him to grow up in the Phils for many reasons. I looked at 4 or 5 private elementary schools and thought Silliman was easily the best but impossible to say until they're attending. I would look at the area between Silliman and the airport to live, it's close to everything in town and there are a number of schools there. The area was ok, lots more traffic than I'm used to and LOTS more foreigners. I noticed the locals speak and communicate in English much better than where I currently live. Stayed at Essencia Hotel twice, that worked out pretty good for me. Large underground parking lot if you drive.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Dumaguete is the small town where everyone wants to live.  As everyone starts living here it will no longer be a small town.

It is a great place today but I expect I will move in about 3 to 5 years as it is already too congested and polluted for me (which is why I left Cebu years ago.) and I see no no infrastructure that would support the fast growing population.  So if you wait 3 years you can have my place (joke only)  Point is when everyone is touting Dumaguete as a retirement mecca then the long term looks very negative.  The best idea is to get on the bandwagon BEFORE everyone else does.

But if you are determined to move to Dumaguete, as so many are, then MikeB's post is spot on!

• Like 4

Larry45
Posted
Posted

To quote Yogi Berra, "Nobody goes there anymore.  It's too crowded."   :lol:

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

I lived some years ago in Dumaguete. It truly was the city of gentle people. Used to walk every where, no pollution or crowding.

Now for business visit once a month or so. I have seen the infrastructure breaking down, the terrible increase in tricycles, motors and vehicles. Not to mention people. It's sad considering how it was.

With the tourism increase comes crime and the proliferation of beggars and vendor, all of which now saturate Dumaguete. Why this place is still being touted as an ideal retirement city escapes me. Perhaps due to some of the amazing nature which abounds so near the city and around Mt Talinis. This is one jewel which mass over crowding I trust cannot endanger, there are some world class attractions near by.

One could do worse ion my opinion than starting off in Dumaguete City Appartments. It's not cheap how ever fully self contained and situated near many natural attractions. Just google it and it will come up first. Runs around p15k a month.

• Like 1