Well I Guess I Can Finally Tell It

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Bring on those children wanting to sing the Christmas carols

If that is what they are doing W&M, I agree. We have several groups of carolers in our town, they make arraignments to come by at a certain time, sing a few songs and we give pretty generously. Knights of Columbus even has a group, that after a drink or two come and belt out a couple of songs off key.

Having said that, one of the most unattractive things about Christmas here is the gangs of kids that walk up and down each street. The don't really even sing, just a sentence or two then scream "Mama Supo!" which I thing means "give me money". The latest trend is for them to sing the jingle from ABS/CBN, "Thank you, Thank you for the love". This Christmas this started last Monday and continued all week. My wife gave out chocolates the first night, the word got out and we had a mob there. (they unwrapped the candy and threw the wrappers on the ground out side the gate :hystery:  :1 (103): ).

Now that its Christmas day, the kids have been coming by all day starting about 8am, they are not even bothering to sing, just shout "Mama Supo" (one is out there as I type). ((Just went to the gate and said "Wala", same kid who has been here 5 nights in a row)).

Today during my walk, I was constantly wished "Merry Christmas" I returned the greeting but just shook the offered hand (the hand was always out).

Now a lot of the customs here are great! Complete families traveling from house to house, sharing food and best wishes (and the inevitable Karaoke machine), the whole family trooping to midnight mass, handing envelops of money to the young nephews and nieces and getting the Mano Po for it. To me, that is Christmas. Not what really amounts to a shakedown by the kids, which is "come out and give us coins or we will stand here screaming until you do"

But one thing I try to keep in mind is that this might only happen in my area, and not in the other 7100 islands. :cheersty:

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Smaller scale but similar.

I used to request at least one song, but over the years they don't bother much.They do the thank you jingle. They main problem is pro rating the payments. By 6 PM we dropped it to 5/10. Our little stash has almost gone.

Earlier my 3 yo was sent in by a "relative" to get money, my kid was in tears when I hesitated, now that's just plain exploitation. 20 pesos and they are farmers with a decent land and they permanently house sit a respectable local home.

We get little groups mostly girls and they are sweet. No gangs this area.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I let all the neighborhood kids know to come by for a bag of candy.  One little girl - maybe 3? - shows up in her Santa pajamas &  Santa hat!  In costume looking for candy... I thought it was Halloween ha ha  :tiphat:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
No gangs

Gangs (no malicious intent, yet) might be the wrong word, lets say "groups" of 3 to 6 oh and I forgot to mention the old milk jugs or empty cans used for drums :lol:

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Nothing is perfect, no matter where we go in this world. If I ever made to heaven, I would probably complain the harp is out of tune! But remember we are here by choice, the Filipinos were singing at the gates of expats long before I was born and will be long after I'm gone. Sometimes, we bring misery upon ourselves. If we were smart, we researched our move and researched the culture. With that in mind, why are we so surprised that people sing at our gates and want money, sure it's a pain to have to listen to it. But the reality is, these people for all there so called faults are much better off than most of us are.

They have the one thing money can't buy. They have Love for one another and a family core that sticks together through most everything. They can talk to neighbors and borrow a cup of rice without being criticized for it. They open their doors to just about everyone, welcoming them with a smile and trust, something my home country has long gave up on. They aren't perfect but they are emotionally honest to a degree that would hurt the feelings of most westerners.

My family is of Irish and Native American descent. Bad combination in all regards. Half my family drew a line with their feet and swore to never cross it, ever! So half my family lives on one side of Tennessee and the other across the river. They haven't spoken in seventy- nine years and now no one knows why. The younger generation tried to put us all back together a couple of times, too late and never will.

I knew what I was getting into when I came here. I except my new found culture and her ways. I enjoy myself in the moment, leaving all of my old life behind as much as possible. However, It rears it's ugly head now and then and I deal with it. My stress levels are much lower since I have been here. I roll with the punches, some days I get rolled, other days I manage to stay on top. I'm on top much more frequently here than I was back home. Besides I couldn't stand to watch my country get burned close up. At a distance it doesn't seem to hurt as much! Yes I will vote this next year because I want to do my part to try and save her. A clear conscious does a man good!

• Like 5

davewe
Posted
Posted

My wife and I are spending Xmas alone. I would be happy to have some carolers even at the cost of a few (or a few hundred) pesos. 

My wife hears of the party her family had with all the neighbors and I know she wishes she were there. In fact, so do I!

• Like 2