Do Any Couples Of Non-Pinoy Ethnicity Ever Retire To The Pi ?

robert k
Posted
Posted

having lived in the Philippines I can safely say that you don't need a Filipino spouse.

:hystery:  Unless money is involved :whistling:

Jack, especially if money is involved. I held back because I didn't want to say this but I found that with the help of a local things were harder and cost MORE to do than if I did it myself. Many Filipinos have no idea of how to do things that are common in life in other countries, in their own country. I found it best to talk to government offices, LTO, Immigration, banks, LBC, cab drivers or whoever, myself and not take any local advise or allow them to take the lead. It is heart breaking to know that they get preyed upon by cab/ trike drivers as often as foreigners, maybe for a smaller amount but they are still preyed upon. I had a trike driver that I wanted to take a friend and I to a place and they asked me how much I would pay. I told them regular price and as a added bonus I wouldn't report them. Such is life. It isn't that hard to learn what you should pay at the wet market.

• Like 2

Ynot
Posted
Posted

I can not speak with any authority about non pinoy couples retiring to the Philippines, but I imagine it happens as the Philippines is marketing itself as a retirement freindly destination. 

For example, a lot of people from Australia particularly from Perth are making the move to live in Bali on their retirement because of the attraction of a cheaper lifestyle.  There was a story in the local paper about an Australian pensioner who had made Bali home and engaged a maid and driver to look after her, all on her Australian pension.   So people have been making the move to find a better lifestyle in paradise for less dollars than it would cost in Aus.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I can not speak with any authority about non pinoy couples retiring to the Philippines, but I imagine it happens as the Philippines is marketing itself as a retirement freindly destination. 

For example, a lot of people from Australia particularly from Perth are making the move to live in Bali on their retirement because of the attraction of a cheaper lifestyle.  There was a story in the local paper about an Australian pensioner who had made Bali home and engaged a maid and driver to look after her, all on her Australian pension.   So people have been making the move to find a better lifestyle in paradise for less dollars than it would cost in Aus.

We had an older Caucasian lady living a few blocks away.  She was wheelchair bound and had two girls to help her.  They recently moved away.

I have been seeing more Caucasian couples around.  I know there were a few younger couples living in our area but they were probably here for a job.  Just yesterday I saw an older couple down in Olongapo and my first thought was they were missionary types.  They had that look.  We get couples coming in on yachts and you will see them for a while, sometimes longer.

ManilaBae
Posted
Posted

I really see this as a growing trend , at least in Australia, as baby boomers begin to wind down with work and begin to spend their savings and "live life". Those, who,  cannot afford to support the lifestyle costs of Sydney, Melbourne or Perth are very likely to be attracted to living in a cheaper destination such as the Philippines as their savings will get them at least 5x more of what theyd otherwise afford in a major Australian city.

Australia is still yet to hear and experience more of what the Philippines is about because the bias at the moment is towards Bali and Thailand. However, in the coming years, they might see the Philippines as a more favourable retirement option because they could afford to hire fulltime nurses/physios etc... to care for them. 

• Like 1