Bacolod Jeepneys.

RBM
Posted
Posted

WE have just arrived back from a trip to Bacolod, took the big bike. Not sure only me or what ever but, find the local jeepney drivers there about the worst I have encountered.

Cebu I find definitely not as bad, not good how ever everything so stuck up its pretty much crawling speed every where.

They tend to pull straight out in busy Lacson St with out even a glance, just straight out We witnessed one collision and several near misses. Fortunately was aware and prepared , still few scares.

Curious as to why they seem so arrogant, drugs or just greed. Personally find Bacolod a reasonable city to navigate and ride/drive in apart from the Jeepneys.

Interested in hearing a few comments here.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I agree 100% with you and add that not only are the jeepney drivers bad but all drivers in Bacolod are very bad. There is no enforcement so they just do what they want. They tried to have no parking on Lacson to allow the traffic to flow but it lasted only one day as people parked on the sidewalk causing the pedestrians to walk on the street. The sign said no parking on the street. The sign did not say no parking on the sidewalk. Taxi drivers drive on the center line obviously not knowing that it is a lane marker. The road to the airport is scary as the sugar cane grows tall right up to the intersections on all 4 ways. Drivers don't stop but just blow their horns. All along the highway south from Bacolod, people are parking on the traveled portion of the highway especially in Sumag. I have seen people changing tires in the fast lane, once on the curve at the Bago north split.. I have seen someone changing a driver's rear tire while parked in the curb lane. The tire changer was in the fast lane and the driver was standing behind the tire changer with both occupying 1/2 of the fast lane. Every car that went by would blow their horns but they did not move. At night, many motorcycles drive with no lights front or back. We take Ceres into Bacolod because there are no taxis here and then take a taxi home. I would never drive in Negros. I always wear my seat belt and if the taxi does not have one, I take the next taxi.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Interesting read last report as thought maybe I was a little extreme. Have not encountered the above how ever do find Bacolod car drivers extremely rude in cutting in from an intersection causing one to brake hard. Seems they figure they have the right regardless.

I ride / drive there during day light how ever night we just use a taxi if going out. Have found taxi driving behavior far better than Cebu but the jeeps just down right dangerous. My partner seems to think many are taking drugs to stay awake.

Enforcement is a problem everywhere. Never forget in Consolation where I lived before an enforcer stopping traffic to allow people to cross the highway right beneath a sky walk.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

WE have just arrived back from a trip to Bacolod, took the big bike. Not sure only me or what ever but, find the local jeepney drivers there about the worst I have encountered.

Cebu I find definitely not as bad, not good how ever everything so stuck up its pretty much crawling speed every where.

They tend to pull straight out in busy Lacson St with out even a glance, just straight out We witnessed one collision and several near misses. Fortunately was aware and prepared , still few scares.

Curious as to why they seem so arrogant, drugs or just greed. Personally find Bacolod a reasonable city to navigate and ride/drive in apart from the Jeepneys.

Interested in hearing a few comments here.

I tend to agree the jeepneys are the king of the road here and don't adhere to any rules or regulations ..... they will squeeze you out or cut you off with out a second thought ..... thank god we are a small city unlike Cebu .....

Now when we lived in Cebu the taxi's were the worst offenders just like the jeepneys here ..... we find taxi's here are more civilized ..... JMHO .....   :merrychristmas: :santa_trumpet:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Speaking of Bacalod jeepneys... has anyone seen the proposed rate reduction?  The drivers group is asking for a reduction from p7 to p4.5

Negros drivers: Slash jeep fare to P4.50

December 28, 2015

BY MAE SINGUAY

BACOLOD City – The United Negros Drivers and Operators Center (Undoc) wants the public utility jeepney fare in the province slashed from the current P7 to P4.50.

It submitted to the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) Region 6 a “position paper” on the matter in October yet but there has been no action.

According to the association’s secretary-general Diego Malacad, jeepney drivers are wondering where Director Romulo Bernardes is.

A decrease in jeepney fare must follow the decrease in the price of oil in the international market, Malacad stressed.

In October, the price of oil in the international market was $42 per barrel, said the Undoc secretary-general.

Recently, it dropped to $40 per barrel, he pointed out.

By now, in the local market, the price must be P16.60 per liter, said Malacad.

However, the fuel price here is still at P23 per liter, the transport group leader noted.

Malacad said they have not heard any feedback from LTFRB Region 6 or Bernardes since October.

Undoc wants to initiate a fare reduction even without the consent of LTFRB but cannot do so for fear of sanctions, he stressed.

LTFRB has the power to determine, prescribe and approve, and periodically review and adjust, reasonable fares, rates and other related charges relative to the operation of public land transportation services provided by motorized vehicles.

It can also prescribe and regulate routes of service, economically viable capacities and zones or areas of operation of public land transportation services provided by motorized vehicles in accordance with the public land transportation development plans and programs approved by the Department of Transportation and Communications.

Why would Undoc member-drivers want to reduce the jeepney fare by almost half?

While high fares bode well for the drivers’ income, the drivers themselves have family members who take public utility jeepneys every day and are thus affected by changes in fare rates, Malacad explained./PN

Source:http://panaynewsphilippines.com/2015/12/28/negros-drivers-slash-jeep-fare-to-p4-50/

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
has anyone seen the proposed rate reduction

We get a 20% reduction with taxis this year as I explain to them that when gas was 58p, the rate was 500p and now gas is 38p so I offer 400p. Deal or no deal.

the other jp

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)
BACOLOD City – The United Negros Drivers and Operators Center (Undoc) wants the public utility jeepney fare in the province slashed from the current P7 to P4.50.

Good luck ...... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: ...... sorry this is all you get as JGF removed the Christmas icons ......

Edited by Mike S

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Ours in Iloilo recently dropped from p7.5 to p7.  Doesn't make that much difference  :tiphat:

• Like 1