Just How Bad Is The Air Pollution In Phil?

BobP
Posted
Posted

Hi Everyone,

A belated Merry Merry and early Happy New Year's to all!

I know before I even ask, BUT....(always seems to be a BUT...hehehe)....

my question is...Just how bad is the air pollution in Phil?

In talking with my gf who lives in Davao, she says she is "sick" on a monthly basis (no, not her monthly visitor).  She is young and appears to be very healthy!  But, on a serious note, she complains that she seems to get "sick" (I think symptoms similar to flu) on a monthly basis.

I haven't discussed this at length with her, so I know this is a very general question.

I live in Georgia in the US and we don't have any noticeable air pollution.  From the little I have seen, I know Los Angeles in California and probably other cities in CA, have problems.

For those of you who have lived in Phils for a while, do you notice your health has declined substantially due to the air pollution?

I know it will depend on where you live in Phil, if you live with smokers and a million other variables, but for the most part in most of the Phil, how would you rate the air pollution and its effects on your health?

Thank you everyone!

BobP

:cheersty:

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

luckily where I live on the edge of Laguna De Bay we get a constant supply of fresh air.

But travelling from Calamba last week in a jeepney was a nightmare ! the traffic was slow so instead of the 35 minute journey it took over 

90 minutes ! and the fumes from the jeepney in front and those passing us were very bad I had the itchy throat for the rest of the day ! and it was very hot making matters worse.

traffic here on the national highway is often very bad so its nice to get back home for the fresh air and a nice cool sm

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

BobP,

From my limited experience, the place to avoid is Manila, which seems to have constant traffic congestion . Other cities will have peak time pollution but not as bad as Manila. Once out the city the urban area's open up to fresher air conditions. I much prefer to stay were there is a breeze either mountains or seaside. Weather play's a part as well, for me I tend to visit PI between November- February which suits me better....regards JB

• Like 1

ironmaiden
Posted
Posted

It's very bad in every large city. Every vehicle that moves spews out clouds of black smoke (sometimes blue smoke if it's a gasoline engine), the jeepneys are by far the worst and they are everywhere in the Philippines. I used to sleep with the ceiling fan and aircon on but then a couple of years ago I always woke up sick if I had the ceiling fan on. Since this year I always wear a quality dust mask (P3) when driving my motorcycle and now I can have the ceiling fan on again any time. I feel a lot better and haven't been sick anymore.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Bob, maybe you could ask her a few diagnostic questions to understand the nature of her condition. She could have a minor chronic illness she is unaware of. Has she seen a Doctor? I doubt it.

The factors could be environmental. As you suggested some places have chronic air pollution or it could a local source even something she or her family causes. For example many people sweep leaves and trash including plastics into a pile an burn it.

Other thing to consider. Could it be the illness appears at a time she may be unhappy upset or shy to do with something you talked about. Or possibly she becomes "ill" if she feels neglected. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Bob, maybe you could ask her a few diagnostic questions to understand the nature of her condition.

100% agree on this one Bob. After being married to a Filipina for 20+ years and exposed to her and her family and friends I have never seen a more hypochondriacally inclined race of people in my life. :hystery:  :1 (103): . I think it might be a cultural hangover from the days when medical treatment was to expensive for most folks and old wives tales.  

Now about air pollution, I live in Metro Manila, and I have a chronic cough for the first two weeks anytime I leave for a long period of time. After I become used to it again I have no problems. Granted when a jeepney rolls by belching diesel exhaust its not that pleasant and if we don't dust flat surfaces for a few days there is a fine layer. But overall I don't fine it affects me.

Having grown up in Southern California before emission controls, Manila is not near as bad as Los Angeles was in the 1970's.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

luckily where I live on the edge of Laguna De Bay we get a constant supply of fresh air.

But travelling from Calamba last week in a jeepney was a nightmare ! the traffic was slow so instead of the 35 minute journey it took over 

90 minutes ! and the fumes from the jeepney in front and those passing us were very bad I had the itchy throat for the rest of the day ! and it was very hot making matters worse.

traffic here on the national highway is often very bad so its nice to get back home for the fresh air and a nice cool sm

When I first moved here I lived in Cabuyao and rode in jeeps and trikes on National Hwy a lot.  I got sick and coughed a lot.  The cough would not go away so I visited a pulmonary doc in Alabang, and he said I have mild asthma.  I never had asthma in the 56 years before I moved here, so I assume it was brought on by the pollution.

I hate going to Manila for many reasons, and the pollution is one of them.  When we head south into Manila, at a certain point on NLEX, you see this massive fog of pollution.

So this is a key reason I chose Subic Bay.  You still have to deal with some smoke belching, but the overall air quality is much better, and I am able to drive my own vehicle with filtered air con.

I have only been to Davao once, and I don't remember the pollution being too bad, but it was raining a lot, which cleans the air.  Any time you are in a jeep / trike you will be subjected to the pollution from many vehicles.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Having grown up in Southern California before emission controls, Manila is not near as bad as Los Angeles was in the 1970's.

I also remember having "smog days" in Redondo Beach when I was in grade school in the 60's.  We used to get a "smog cough" after playing outside.

I'm not sure if Manila and L.A. are apples to apples though.  L.A. smog was mostly caused by massive quantities of gasoline engines.  Manila smog is a heavier smog with more particulates, I think.  Diesel smoke and burning trash / leaves are the heavier contributors.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

As so many have said, depends where on lives. Where are in Negros Occidendal we have zero pollution but go south to Dumaguete and it's quite bad down town.

If you want to die go live in Cebu.......

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
my question is...Just how bad is the air pollution in Phil?   In talking with my gf who lives in Davao, she says she is "sick" on a monthly basis (no, not her monthly visitor).  She is young and appears to be very healthy!  But, on a serious note, she complains that she seems to get "sick" (I think symptoms similar to flu) on a monthly basis.

The air is not bad but I wouldnt breath it in though  :lol:

Only spent a week in Davao and do not remember any noticeable pollution in the air. Could be your girl like someone suggested gets asthma or because the Philippines is a tropical country flu like symptoms can persist. Also the fact of over crowding helps the flu spread and even after getting rid of it can come around again and again. Often people live in cramped conditions, one gets it, all get it so around and around it goes.

• Like 3