Just How Bad Is The Air Pollution In Phil?

BobP
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone for your comments.  I appreciate them all very much!

BobP

:cheersty:

jpbago
Posted
Posted
After I become used to it again I have no problems.

Getting used to it doesn't mean that the pollution is not affecting you. It has a cumulative effect.

I find the pollution very bad here in Negros, mostly from traffic and from burning garbage. We have a new emission control testing place as does Sumag just down the road but they have never opened. Someone got the funding (or 5 times the funding) just so they can tell Al Gore that we do have emission control centers.

PI is building 45 more coal fired generation plants. It will only get worse.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Pattaya Thailand, same same.  We seem to live with a constant haze, but they deny it is smog????

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I don't trust air that I cannot see :tiphat:

Here in Iloilo it is only bad when a jeepney drives by. We have fresh air blowing in all the time so it stays pretty clean, but most of us carry a handkerchief to cover our mouth & nose when riding jeepneys.  I think the winds take our smog to Beijing.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Google shows us afew different sites referring to Davao pollution:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/davao/local-news/2015/10/26/haze-index-davao-improves-438002

http://www.numbeo.com/pollution/city_result.jsp?country=Philippines&city=Davao

In the comments at that latter site it is interesting that one visitor said:

i just got back from davao. i got respiration infection while being there, i noticed many of people there cough a lot. ya it may be anti smoking but the air quality is way worse than city in the US that I've been to

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
In talking with my gf who lives in Davao, she says she is "sick" on a monthly basis (no, not her monthly visitor).  She is young and appears to be very healthy!  But, on a serious note, she complains that she seems to get "sick" (I think symptoms similar to flu) on a monthly basis.
In talking with my gf who lives in Davao, she says she is "sick" on a monthly basis (no, not her monthly visitor).  She is young and appears to be very healthy!  But, on a serious note, she complains that she seems to get "sick" (I think symptoms similar to flu) on a monthly basis.

There's another reason for here "illness", maybe attention getting.

As an asthma sufferer I find one of the main causes is sudden change in air temperature. Like entering an air conditioned room from a warmer outside air. I avoid that, but then we get cool air at night and almost all my attacks are at night. And I'm not sick all the time, I had an attack a month ago and I had one a few days ago, perhaps after eating shellfish, not sure but it was just one day I suffered.

Manila is warmer than here up north. I have had more attacks since moving here 5 years ago. 2-3 times a year, one hospital visit, but not more than that.

I would not say that pollution is the major cause. Allergy and sudden inhalation of cool air precipitate it for me. But if already having an attack, pollution, exhaust fumes or even strong perfume can make it worse.

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted

'Respect your lungs, don’t use fireworks'

Air pollution in Metro Manila typically soars to new heights on the first day of the New Year because of the firecrackers used the night before.

Last January 1, 2015 for instance, the concentration of dangerous particles in the air reached around 2,000 micrograms per normal cubic meter (mcg/ncm) in some parts of Metro Manila. That’s 33 times more than guideline value of 60 mcg/ncm for Particulate Matter 10 (PM10) or particles that remain in your nostrils. 

The concentration is also 57 times more than the guideline value of 35 mcg/ncm for PM2.5 or particles small enough to enter the bronchial tubes of your lungs and cause severe respiratory diseases.

The New Year smog is particularly dangerous for children, the elderly, and individuals with asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and heart ailments added Dorotheo.

The full article is here: 

http://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/respect-your-lungs-don%E2%80%99t-use-fireworks/ar-BBnZghm?li=AAb280R&ocid=mailsignout

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Not a chance... We love buying mortars for New Years  :tiphat:

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Not a chance... We love buying mortars for New Years  :tiphat:

It will be OK as the winds are usually NE and you are WNW from me with Guimeras Island between us.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Pollution, Like the noise is going nowhere soon here. 2016 is just going to be another year of Idiot actions and responses.

JMHO