Just How Bad Is The Air Pollution In Phil?

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

my question is...Just how bad is the air pollution in Phil?   In talking with my gf who lives in Davao, she says she is "sick" on a monthly basis (no, not her monthly visitor).  She is young and appears to be very healthy!  But, on a serious note, she complains that she seems to get "sick" (I think symptoms similar to flu) on a monthly basis.

The air is not bad but I wouldnt breath it in though  :lol:

Only spent a week in Davao and do not remember any noticeable pollution in the air. Could be your girl like someone suggested gets asthma or because the Philippines is a tropical country flu like symptoms can persist. Also the fact of over crowding helps the flu spread and even after getting rid of it can come around again and again. Often people live in cramped conditions, one gets it, all get it so around and around it goes.

My daughter is  always catching colds in school it seems like she gets rid of one and another one comes 2 weeks later.I don`t think this tropical weather helps either.I was coughing a lot more when I lived in Cebu city than I do in Dalaguete.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

My daughter is  always catching colds in school it seems like she gets rid of one and another one comes 2 weeks later

My nieces kids here In Australia are the same, constantly sick it seems. Where they live there is no pollution so it appears colds/flus to just spread from one to the other and back again.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I developed COPD while in the Philippines for 2 years. A heavy cough at times with a lingering minor cough. I have other factors which contribute but the frequent exposure to air pollution and heavy particulates in the Philippines did not help. I feel much better now that I am back in the USA but COPD never goes away you can only hope to keep it from getting worse. Will I return to live in the Philippines. Perhaps. But air quality and ways to protect my lungs will be a major consideration on where and how I live in the Philippines.

Bellacissa
Posted
Posted

I went around Manila for the first time today using the MRT and jeepneys. I've had a tickle in the back of my throat ever since. I'm curious about the masks you sometimes see people wearing. Do those really help?

And to the guy talking about Pattaya, I just moved here after a year of living there. My Thai friends swear it's just fog. Uh huh. Riiiight... ;)

• Like 2

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

Not sure what type of mask you are referring to. Here in Beijing where, from my observations, the pollution is far worse than Manila many people wear masks that are rated to filter out particles down to 2.5 micron. To do this most have a layer of activated carbon and an exhalation valve to reduce breathing effort. The most popular are made by 3M - however their popularity has led to extensive fakery. The efficiency of the mask depends on how snugly it fits the face.

Surgical masks and the dust masks used by woodworkers offer no benefits against smog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk