Thinking Of Buying Transportation

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

I have a need to free myself from cabs and jeepneys. I thought about a motorcycle but having a family creates a problem. I have been looking at the club cab multicabs 4x4. I like them a lot and they are all from Japan. The ones I'm looking at haven't been driven in the Philippines yet. They are basically new vehicles and very cheap to drive. I can get the one I like for peso 200,000. I find the price real reasonable. I can finance it with peso 30,000 down and no interest. They come with tinted windows, Cd/mp3, aircon and great gas mileage. They have custom paint jobs or you can have it painted to order. You can get the K-6 cover over the back if you choose the regular cab, so that you can keep folks out of the sun and rain. I have ridden in a few of them, they are a little bumpy and lack the kind of power I'm used to, but for the Philippines I find them perfect.

I would like to get other ideas about this plan. Any experience with these machines?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Can you actually fit in one?

Get the manual transmission and largest engine available. Our family got one two years ago and find it useful even though they live atop a long steep hill.

Edited by Old55

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Tight but I enjoy the feel. I thought about maybe a modified seat if I bought one just for a little extra room.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Tight but I enjoy the feel. I thought about maybe a modified seat if I bought one just for a little extra room.

That should be no problem one of the advantages of living in Philippines.

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

The freedom a vehicle gives you even here is wonderful. My wife wants to buy some property here.....imagine that!!! It's impossible to look around relying on cabs and other modes of transportation. I enjoy my walk to the beaches each morning but to drive would be heaven. I have never been around the ocean before so it has been a real treat. I saw my first live starfish the other day and I was hooked on my adventures. I wade all the way up to my neck each morning even though it's low tide. I walk a long ways out.

But going to the mall or the store would be much more convenient. I couldn't believe you could get a multi cab for not much more than a motorcycle. I think the multi cab is a little safer than a bike. The multi cab is 660 cc top end of 85 mph. Those Suzukis are sharp. I watch the multi cab crash test on you tube, it wasn't pretty. A helmet might be in order. But I don't plan on driving over 30 mph, that's fast here in the Philippines. Maybe a costume race seat with full race harness! Bright fluorescent green colored vehicle so I can be seen at all times.

• Like 2

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted

Hi. Shop around a bit. 200,000 for a multi cab is way on the high side. Should be able to find surplus units from dealers for 150k or under. The financing may be why the price is higher, though. Just a thought.

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

I think they are brilliant. The A/C and auto transmission will knock a few horsepower off the already limited power but ours is used on the farm, part of which is atop a steep, very rough road and it copes surprisingly well. You will find it rattles a lot, they are not that well put together but for the price they are really very good. They are quite uncomfortable for long distances and I did think about doing something about the seat position but can't see how I could alter the position without reducing the already very limited leg room as ours is just the two seat cab . But I am 6 foot tall. We also have folding bench seats in the back and a cover for the back is really useful.

Ken

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think those units are quite popular with expats.  I think they are good value for the money (but not when you finance it because it will cost you double over 4 years).  I think your price is reasonable for what you describe.  I think the drivers seat pushes back in the "clubcab" version.  I think if it suits your needs you should go for it.

My own research into them taught me there are many assemblers of these surplus units and some are better than others.  I found Rusco the easiest to get financing and Pasajero to be the most respected builder.  Let us know how it goes.  I chose not to get one myself as I did not think the cost of buying and maintaining one was more prudent that just using a motorcycle.

Edit:  When I think of the "clubcab" version I think of a 4 seater.  Not sure what the op means by "clubcab".

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

kalibojerry
Posted
Posted

Hi there

i have a Muliticab love it I have it for sale I have had it for a couple of years great shape fully loaded power steering, auto trans, air, streio new tires just had a tune up new oil ready to go , only trouble I live in Kalibo Aklan priced to sell a lot less than your price take payments just need half down i know the ferry price from IloIlo is around P 12 thousand peso to cebu  color is brown the reason i want to sell I bought 2 little trucks ,  do not need it now great on gas I spend around 500 to  600 peso a month on gas I would recomend it for you 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I think those units are quite popular with expats.  I think they are good value for the money (but not when you finance it because it will cost you double over 4 years).  I think your price is reasonable for what you describe.  I think the drivers seat pushes back in the "clubcab" version.  I think if it suits your needs you should go for it.

Edit:  When I think of the "clubcab" version I think of a 4 seater.  Not sure what the op means by "clubcab".

Something tells me you THINK a lot.   :dance: