What Happens When A "pauper', I.e., Person With No Family Or Resources Dies In The Pi ?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Yes, it seems impossible or highly improbable. But what happens when Death calls? The reason I ask is because we are looking at a situation like that here where I live. 

The dead woman's son's are unreachable and her daughter is in jail of stabbing her very own son (she was a shabu user). She had no local relatives. She was not a 'nice' person. No one wants to take responsibility. 

I just heard that the Barangay captain will assist the kind, but poor and un-related neighbor who is trying to manage the death.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you ask about it locally, then you may be asked to contribute to her burial.  If no one asks about helping with the responsibility it is because they know that the onus will be on them to help if they show the slightest concern.

So just my suggestion, if you want to help then ask at the barangay level about what will happen.  If you have no intention of helping then do yourself a favor and stay clear of asking questions.

How do I now?  I have been asked to help in more than a couple of situations where I have inquired (as you just did) and in the cases where I did not ask, I did not find out what happened to the bodies.  When I asked the question from people who should now the answer (local barangay officials I mean) I got the same answer I just gave you.  Maybe someone else has the answer as to exactly what happens when no one pays to bury them.

Edit:  I do know of one occasion where a filipino relative of my ex died in a gang fight in the jungle and he was just dumped into a shallow, makeshift grave.  No one ever asked questions about it, to my knowledge.  I was told the fight was politically motivated and that this kind of thing is business as usual.  Judging by the way the Amputuans figured they could dump 50 bodies in a hole in the ground some years back, I'm inclined to believe it.  This country has a veneer of civilization but there is room for improvement.

Disclaimer: These are my own opinions and observations. No claim is made that anyone cannot google or send an email to someone and get a different answer.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Yes, it seems impossible or highly improbable. But what happens when Death calls? The reason I ask is because we are looking at a situation like that here where I live. 

The dead woman's son's are unreachable and her daughter is in jail of stabbing her very own son (she was a shabu user). She had no local relatives. She was not a 'nice' person. No one wants to take responsibility. 

I just heard that the Barangay captain will assist the kind, but poor and un-related neighbor who is trying to manage the death.

Not sure if all local governments have assistance but in Cebu, http://www.cebucity.gov.ph/avail-apply-inquire/other-social-welfare-services?start=3

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I thank you 4 long-term, site councilors  for your experience-based wisdom and advice on this matter. It is deeply appreciated.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
advice on this matter.

Now that you have seen the advice, what we really want to know is what happens when you go and ask the barangay captain about it.   :714_full_of_crap:   

We want to know if he will say a) Since you are concerned you should know that we are looking for donations to help with her remains or b) It is no problem as there is a government department which you can google that will take care of the expenses of someone who dies with no resources or c)  something else entirely.

Inquiring minds want to know  :th_thholysheep:  so if you ask, do tell.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

In Negros, the capitol pays 1500p, the DSWD pays 1500p, the brgy pays 500p plus supplies (awning, etc and daily foods), the mayor chips in and finally, the Governor pays some 3 months later.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Our public cemetery has some of the stacked areas for paupers. The family has 5 years to move them to another grave - or another body gets added in.  Not sure if that is common practice...

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

advice on this matter.

Now that you have seen the advice, what we really want to know is what happens when you go and ask the barangay captain about it.   :714_full_of_crap:   

We want to know if he will say a) Since you are concerned you should know that we are looking for donations to help with her remains or b) It is no problem as there is a government department which you can google that will take care of the expenses of someone who dies with no resources or c)  something else entirely.

Inquiring minds want to know  :th_thholysheep:  so if you ask, do tell.

Again.... Thank You and the others so very much for your information and advice. 

FYI..... This is a convoluted story in which we have some family interest, not blood relative, but other issues I don't want to bore people with. I did give P500 for the initial food for when the body came back to the other barangay, since my wife's life-long friend was at wit's end, upset and crying about the situation. My wife had promised 'small help only' since we had previously funded the deceased's husband's medical and funeral expenses three years ago (She then tried to move in with us and got nasty when I refused.) 

I ended up giving another P1K for funeral/wake food, etc., and then the Barangay captain conveyed to her uncle (a councilor in this barangay where my wife's grandfather was the B. Captain when she was a child.... I told you this was convoluted) that he knew how giving and helpful we had been over the years and that if she was kind enough to contribute for the food as such that it was more than enough and not to worry... he would take care of it all. So... we will leave it to him now.

My wife still managed to make contact with one of the son's living on the Bicol, who we had assisted 5 years ago with transportation and a P10K to start his woodworker's shop in his new wife's and baby son's maternal home area, so now I will fund his bus and bangka fare to come here for his mother's funeral. Another P3K, but I don't mind since he is a good and hard working man who only wanted to escape his bothersome and irresponsible family here. 

That should be the end of it (I'll probably have to fund his return later, no doubt.)

My wife comes from a barangay level political clan with councilor uncles in 2 nearby baragays, high social level cousins and uncles in a third, and we own small properties is all. She decided to put some distance between all this and we built our house in a fourth.... but all the Captains and councilors know one another and we do have some relief, courtesy of distance. Its a balancing act, but my wife is exceptionally good at it. You have to incur respect and distance but not jealousy or envy. We live simple and semi-traditionally without the trappings of wealth (i.e. no private vehicles or big, modern concrete & steel house). My wife has political and social firepower, but makes it a point to keep it understated and un-obvious. She only uses it when needed to maintain a peaceful life for us.

This is an extremely nuanced and sophisticated social culture here. Definitely more intricate than the blunt and direct forms of social interaction that we experience in the profit driven cultures of modern, Western societies. Most of my N. American, Euro and Aussie friends just bulldoze over it, but if you have a smart and astute wife....who can and will explain things to you... pay heed.   

• Like 5