Condo, All In?

usa32
Posted
Posted

As I go over what type of housing I want to live in when I make the move.

I go back and forth from finding a decent house outside of a major city, with rents of 5000 pesos to 12000 pesos, and then also think about getting a condo that is near the ocean(more expensive) but also would have onsite gym and pool, and probably more secure. Is there anybody on this board, who has chosen to live in a nice condo? If so, where at? And what is your monthly housing cost? What facilities are on site? Near the ocean?

I would guess the majority of people on here(due to cost) are living as cheaply as possible and not in a nice condo. Probably a decent house somewhere outside of the city.

Any opinions appreciated.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I go back and forth from finding a decent house outside of a major city, with rents of 5000 pesos to 12000 pesos, and then also think about getting a condo that is near the ocean(more expensive) but also would have onsite gym and pool, and probably more secure. Is there anybody on this board, who has chosen to live in a nice condo? If so, where at? And what is your monthly housing cost? What facilities are on site? Near the ocean?

I would guess the majority of people on here(due to cost) are living as cheaply as possible and not in a nice condo. Probably a decent house somewhere outside of the city.

Firstly, 'cheap' has diverse meanings, it may also mean 'good value for money'  and that is what most of us seek.

Although I do not live there in Phils at this stage, I have gathered a good idea of housing and living costs.  Whilst your 'budget' may be obtainable, it will not be 'higher end' properties.  

Comfortable, clean and in a safe location is paramount to me, may I speculate and say, the same for other members.

It depends where you live, ie. Manila/Cebu more expensive than less populated areas.

You need to be more specific.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Is there anybody on this board, who has chosen to live in a nice condo?

Many have looked.  But few, if any, have come here and told us they found a 'nice' condo.  More of the opposing view like the one here:  http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/14112-outrageous-utility-bills-in-condos/

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Probably a decent house somewhere outside of the city.

Which city do you have in mind? 

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

"Near the ocean" throws the discussion off.

If living in Metro Manila or Quezon City paying rent or installments on a small 1-2 BR Condo would be about 30k-40k pesos all in with the condo fees and the utilities, 30k-40 and up depending on the electric bill. You do have to consider parking and the cost of transportation, but most up market condos do have plenty of in house facilities. In Eastwood (Quezon City) you have access to a Mall and a few hundred restaurants virtually within walking distance. And Fitnesss First Platinum. But you can't have all that and be near a beach. My mate lives there are a few times I asked him about his living expenses, I said 100k and he laughed and shook his head no.

You could live a bit more rural and have access to a beach eg Olongapo, Subic Bay. However you will not have access to the other facilities the more western standard gyms, supermarkets and etc. A gym in Manila, is a full on facility with sauna, steam, in house TV, free coffee, personal trainers and down the line. A gym in a province area is weights and a few machines and perhaps a very basic cold shower.

If I'm you, I rent a good level condo in QC for a year and move on from there.

EDIT: my experience is with my Aussie mate who owns 2 condo's, he says pro and con, but over the long haul good investment. Redecoration or intitial set up, not included in the contract can be a problem. That's why I say rent fully furnished for a year initially.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

usa32
Posted
Posted

Firstly, 'cheap' has diverse meanings, it may also mean 'good value for money'  and that is what most of us seek.

Although I do not live there in Phils at this stage, I have gathered a good idea of housing and living costs.  Whilst your 'budget' may be obtainable, it will not be 'higher end' properties.  

Comfortable, clean and in a safe location is paramount to me, may I speculate and say, the same for other members.

It depends where you live, ie. Manila/Cebu more expensive than less populated areas.

You need to be more specific.

Agreed. The reason for the post. I guess was to see if anyone out there is doing condo living, and their thoughts on it, and where and how much they are paying.

I am open to where I live at this point. But since most people here seem to be in houses, just wanted to get opinions on condos.

Seems their isn't a great opinion of them. Based on sky high utilities and condo fees.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I looked at several new condo's in Baguio. The cost to purchase for both was approximately 100,000 pesos per sqm. Neither of these had any real extra amenities. 

usa32
Posted
Posted

I looked at several new condo's in Baguio. The cost to purchase for both was approximately 100,000 pesos per sqm. Neither of these had any real extra amenities. 

Thank you. But I was looking at renting. Would never buy in Philippines 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
bows00
Posted
Posted

I've done some research on the topic and was leaning towards living in the Subic area. So far, via email correspondence, I have been quoted a price of $38,000P per month for a 2 bedroom condo. Based on the feedback I have received from this site, nothing beats finding a condo via boots on the ground.

• Like 3