Davao Under Double Red Alert Status

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Davao Under Double Red Alert Status

I have no idea what they mean.  I only know I tuned in to CNN Philippines and in a mixture of English and local language they were trying to explain it.  It sounded like over the top fear mongering but I really don't know so if anyone is in the area they may want to tell us what it is all about?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

It sounded like over the top fear mongering but I really don't know so if anyone is in the area they may want to tell us what it is all about?

:hystery:  Where is "BOB" when you need him ?

post-2148-0-66084100-1451366552.jpg Sorry, Silly me,this could be serious. But.......... maybe just the Mayor trying his Plans out :unsure:

Jack :rolleyes:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I think the alert went up on the 26th.

Davao put under ‘double red alert’

Davao City has been put under “double red alert” after authorities verified reports of possible security threats in the area during the holiday season.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) in Davao deployed personnel in different areas of the city, especially crowded places such as churches, parks, markets, bus terminals, airports, and public squares.

PNP Davao spokesperson C/Insp. Milgrace Driz told ABS-CBN News that the terror threats to the city was well-verified; thus, the need to beef up security, as well as the conduct of surveillance operations.

Plainclothes personnel were also deployed in addition to uniformed policemen.

Members of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) were also assigned to ensure the security of the city.

The heightened alert level in Davao comes after a series of attacks were carried out bombing the transmission towers of the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) in different locations in Mindanao.

Most recently, lawless elements bombed the NGCP tower in Ladia, Sultan Kudarat. Earlier, power lines in North Cotabato and Lanao del Sur were also targeted.

The national grid operator had warned that the series of attacks to the power transmitters could possibly cut the electric supply in Mindanao and cause interruptions over the Christmas holidays.

More than 10 separate bombing incidents have been reported across Mindanao in this year alone; with some towers being attacked more than once. While NGCP personnel performed power restoration immediately after the attacks, they have also requested assistance from both local and national security forces to protect their transmitters.

At least one of the bombings have been linked to the so-called Al-Khobar extortion group which is believed to have damaged two towers in North Cotabato.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

They sure don't make it sound as safe as some of our members have claimed, but it does seem like the alert status is just posturing.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Some Years ago, 2 areas in the UK were given Autonomy such as that given in Mindanao, Both areas turned out the same way so this does not Surprise me in the least, One can only hope that it is controlled, as it would seem they are trying to do but.............lets also hope, it does not get any worse.

Jack :unsure: