Death And Giving

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Death comes to us all, and i hope its a lot later for me and all of my friends, plus that bloke who talks behind my back too,

Anyway back to the title,

A family member has past on and Emma asked me to send some cash over to the family as they are making a trip today to pay there respects ,

Send £15 or 1000 peso, now thats not a lot of money , but then again it could be worth a fortune to the receiver ,so does it all help every little bit they may or may not get ,

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

Most people where I live earn no more than 8000 peso a month.Maybe a teacher or some professional person will but for me 1500 is plenty to send.Don`t forget that they will get cash from elsewhere as well.

Edited by sonjack2847
  • Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

We gave a bit more than that recently when Janet's uncle died, but that was specifically to help pay for the funeral. While the amount was not big it was big enough to "help" and my MIL actually told us to give a bit less than what we originally proposed. In the end our contribution was appreciated, did not at all pay for the entire funeral and was not enough to break the bank for us.

Edited by davewe

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

When a destitute foreign friend passed, a couple of years ago, another foreign friend took up a collection to get him buried.  I am sure it was a pain to do all the work of collecting and paying and I know many grumbled when he suggested we each kick in US$50. Most contributors complied with a few only giving 1,000 pesos.  I do not know what the exact amount collected was but I do know we had a small funeral for the guy and buried him in the poor man's cemetery and there was quite a bit of money left over to get his girl friend started on her new, single, life.  Conclusion:  Anywhere between 1,000 pesos and US$50 is a fair amount to give.

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Your contribution will be contingent upon several factors: your relationship, your financial ability, your financial willingness (i.e. charitable impulse), your emotional state at the moment, your impression of others who are in a position to willingly shoulder a portion of the expenses, etc. 

When it comes to Death... we are all our brother's keeper, since we hope that what we do unto and for others will be done unto us. 

"A man's days are numbered." (Epic of Gilgamesh, 1,800 B.C.)

• Like 1