My Experiences Trying To Buy Land Or A Home In The Philippines

abw
Posted
Posted
Looks very nice the best of luck with it. I guess you had to put it in your wifes name?
Yep, my wife's name goes on the land title. It should be noted though, that my name is added to the Deed of Sale as the husband (I'll have to check this). This means that my wife cannot sell without my consent (or it would be pretty difficult).Andrew
I am not sure if that is true. My understanding is that she totally owns the land and can do what she wants with it but that if she should God forbid pass on then the land would title to you as her husband and heir and that would only be if her family did not fight you and try to make claim to it. My advice would be to use an attorney and have your wifes desires written up, just in case. There have been way too many horror stories, so it is better to be safe than sorry IMO, but that would be totally up to you.
Yes, it's true that my wife owns the land, as a foreigner is not able to own property in the Philippines (except for condos for those on permanent visas I think). But having the husband (foreigner) co-sign the Deed of Sale does make it difficult for the wife to sell the property without the husbands consent. Well that's my vague recollection of what the solicitor told us when we first purchased some land there. Who knows;) We have two kids who are Philippine citizens (actually , they are duel citizens), so I guess they would inherit the property (once they turn 18)? We'll have a chat to a solicitor regarding wills etc. when we arrive there. For guys who have just been married, it may be a good idea to just rent for a while;) Or possibly take out a 25 year lease (25 year extension)possibly a good option if you don't plan on having kids? Okay, I've got to get back to work now.sad.gifAndrew

Michael
Posted
Posted

You can sometimes get a better deal from an expat that wants to move back to their home country. I think we got a reasonably good deal on our house. It is small be some of the pictures I have seen posted, but has three bathrooms, three bedrooms, and is located on the beach. The lot is also just over 1,000 square meters, which was a big selling point for me. The downside is location. I am two and ahalf hour bus ride from Cebu City. I am not in a gated community. The plus side is I have met some really great Filipino friends, and the neighbors watch our house. It was the most house for the money I had seen advertised. Oh, and the owner did drop the asking price of the house by 800,000 pesos so it does pay to deal. I am not very good on the computer so I posted a link of the house if you want to look. I am only posting this as an example and I am sure this house or location will not apply to everyone.post-40-12608478648063_thumb.jpg post-40-12608478777417_thumb.jpg

Travis
Posted
Posted

abw nice piece of property good luck with it. Michael nice house thumbsup.gif

Michael
Posted
Posted
You can sometimes get a better deal from an expat that wants to move back to their home country. I think we got a reasonably good deal on our house. It is small be some of the pictures I have seen posted, but has three bathrooms, three bedrooms, and is located on the beach. The lot is also just over 1,000 square meters, which was a big selling point for me. The downside is location. I am two and ahalf hour bus ride from Cebu City. I am not in a gated community. The plus side is I have met some really great Filipino friends, and the neighbors watch our house. It was the most house for the money I had seen advertised. Oh, and the owner did drop the asking price of the house by 800,000 pesos so it does pay to deal. I am not very good on the computer so I posted a link of the house if you want to look. I am only posting this as an example and I am sure this house or location will not apply to everyone.
Thanks for posting the pictures Mr. Lee.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
You can sometimes get a better deal from an expat that wants to move back to their home country. I think we got a reasonably good deal on our house. It is small be some of the pictures I have seen posted, but has three bathrooms, three bedrooms, and is located on the beach. The lot is also just over 1,000 square meters, which was a big selling point for me. The downside is location. I am two and ahalf hour bus ride from Cebu City. I am not in a gated community. The plus side is I have met some really great Filipino friends, and the neighbors watch our house. It was the most house for the money I had seen advertised. Oh, and the owner did drop the asking price of the house by 800,000 pesos so it does pay to deal. I am not very good on the computer so I posted a link of the house if you want to look. I am only posting this as an example and I am sure this house or location will not apply to everyone.
Thanks for posting the pictures Mr. Lee.
You are welcome, I did not think you wanted to advertise it so I felt the pictures would be better. If I was wrong and you or anyone would like to advertise, just pm Boss Man and ask his permission and then it would go in the Members classified section

• 1 year later...
vance
Posted
Posted (edited)
I too have found you can get a better deal from an expat that is leaving. He's happy just to find a buyer for a price that's at least reasonable. Edited by Gravy Boat
Fixed quote

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)
I too have found you can get a better deal from an expat that is leaving. He's happy just to find a buyer for a price that's at least reasonable.
My issues were not so much what to buy or where to buy as it is a cash flow situation. The Pinoy way opf post dated checks does not work well for me. The 'game' of advertising a low price... only to find out it is the down payment that is being financed at that low price with a baloon payment due also did not work for me. When I buy something, I like to have long term financing and then make double / triple payments. I would have bought several condos IF (and believe me I tried) I could find a company to give me 5 yr financing or longer and then allow me to make double / triple payments. Some months I have an extra $500 and some months maybe an extra $1500..... But I got no cooperation, so I am builing my own place, at my own speed. See the photo below which is week 2.post-404-0-45048700-1307724455_thumb.jpg Edited by Gravy Boat
added image correctly,you must click add to post or the image will be lost one day in an upgrade.

sjp52
Posted
Posted
I too have found you can get a better deal from an expat that is leaving. He's happy just to find a buyer for a price that's at least reasonable.
My issues were not so much what to buy or where to buy as it is a cash flow situation. The Pinoy way opf post dated checks does not work well for me. The 'game' of advertising a low price... only to find out it is the down payment that is being financed at that low price with a baloon payment due also did not work for me. When I buy something, I like to have long term financing and then make double / triple payments. I would have bought several condos IF (and believe me I tried) I could find a company to give me 5 yr financing or longer and then allow me to make double / triple payments. Some months I have an extra $500 and some months maybe an extra $1500..... But I got no cooperation, so I am builing my own place, at my own speed. See the photo below which is week 2.
I don,t know if you would be interested, But it sure would be nice if you could post pictures as your construction moves a long and any hassles or advice you could give with your experience.

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted
My issues were not so much what to buy or where to buy as it is a cash flow situation. The Pinoy way opf post dated checks does not work well for me. The 'game' of advertising a low price... only to find out it is the down payment that is being financed at that low price with a baloon payment due also did not work for me. When I buy something, I like to have long term financing and then make double / triple payments. I would have bought several condos IF (and believe me I tried) I could find a company to give me 5 yr financing or longer and then allow me to make double / triple payments. Some months I have an extra $500 and some months maybe an extra $1500..... But I got no cooperation, so I am builing my own place, at my own speed. See the photo below which is week 2.
I don,t know if you would be interested, But it sure would be nice if you could post pictures as your construction moves a long and any hassles or advice you could give with your experience.
Your construction looks good. Some advices at this point of construction.Septic tank: make one for the kitchen and dirty kitchen and another for the bathrooms. make sure the slope of the piping in the ground ending to the septic tank is at least 7-10 degrees angle. Both septic tanks have an overflow at the city's drainage system, if there is any, otherwise make sure they are big enough. Piping of the kitchens septic tank from a material which withstands the temperatures of hot oil and hot water. Plastic so you can pour acid anytime you want so to clean it. a 2 inches pipe at least. Make sure they do not close and seal it with cement, place a removable opening in case you want to open and clean/empty it.Pilars: Do not pass any drainage pipe inside the pilars (i have seen that here...) weakens the stregth of he pilar. Electrical wires for a fence pilar is ok but not for the supporting pilars of the house.Electrical: Plan VERY GOOD what outlets you will need where, pass adequate cables (covered ofcourse) from the slab. Pay the extra money and buy the best cables existing, a short circuit due to a million reasons can be fatal to a weak cable and further more to the entire house. Plan for electrical outlests on the outside of the house too, patios and yards, at least two at each patio/yard.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I come from a long line of plumbers. I intend to over build the drain field depending on ground available. I am already raising the lot about 2' above the finished road so there ill be plenty of dirt to drain into before the water table it hit. I don't use acid to clean uless I have to. I use a powered enzyme. They were going to install a pipe in the center column, so i had it enlarged as to not loose any strength. It is going to be a boarding house, 12 rooms to start. So, anticipating fire issues, I told the guy who did the drawing that I wanted to use sheet rock instead of plywood walls. he stared at me.... Drywall I said.... he stared at me... Gympsum Board I said ... OH yes... he knew what that was. But it costs more... But, with me paying 2300 pesos a day... for E L E V E N men to work... I suppose I can afford some gympsum board....