Fireworks And Festivities

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I asked "Y" why the filipinos make so much noise at New Year.  I would expect that it is just a big celebration and excuse to party but she says it is required to scare away the evil spirits from entering the New Year.  A very superstitious culture, this is.  And judging by the amount of noise around here on Jan 1 0001 am it seems this will be an evil spirit free year.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

I asked "Y" why the filipinos make so much noise at New Year.  I would expect that it is just a big celebration and excuse to party but she says it is required to scare away the evil spirits from entering the New Year.  A very superstitious culture, this is.  And judging by the amount of noise around here on Jan 1 0001 am it seems this will be an evil spirit free year.

Yup ..... all tied into the Chinese version of their New Year ..... scare away the evil spirits ...... and works great as long as you are also filled with spirits ..... makes it much more entertaining .... unless you are caught up into the fray as a innocent bystander ..... :tiphat:

:cheersty:

Edited by Mike S

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

"Fireworks" are Great, if Controlled but as with many things here, another word missing from the Vocabulary. "CONTROL"

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I hear fire crackers every day so the evil must be coming back or self producing. This morning, at around 6:45, there was 5 loud bangs from the market. Yesterday and the day before, all around us there was crackers, not fire works with color or sparkles, just mortars. On every of the many holidays, city hall does a few, the Catholic church does a few, the coliseum does a few, and everyone else with no rice does a few. For the past 2 weeks, there was 5 store/stalls at the park selling them.

• Like 2

frozenmystic28
Posted
Posted (edited)

No fireworks here in Davao. but we have torotot festival. I also heard some loud banging on the neighborhood. I wonder if they're shooting some fireworks inside.

Edited by frozenmystic28

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

"Fireworks" are Great, if Controlled but as with many things here, another word missing from the Vocabulary. "CONTROL"

Well here are some figures of injuries I came across.

Stray bullets and exploding firecrackers have killed one person and injured almost 200 others as the Philippines plunged into its annual chaotic New Year revelry, authorities said Thursday.

Officials said 185 people have been treated for blast-related or gunshot injuries and one person has been shot dead since December 21, when the mostly-Catholic country launched into two weeks of holidays and merrymaking.

Revellers traditionally set off firecrackers, including potentially deadly types with names like "Goodbye Philippines", and shoot guns into the air to celebrate the festive season.

"Our hospitals stand ready with manpower and equipment to deal with any unusual upsurge of casualties," health department spokesman Lyndon Lee Suy told AFP.

Police said five civilians, a soldier and a policeman were arrested for illegally firing their guns.

The annual tide of New Year injuries dropped in 2014, with 351 people hurt by fireworks and three hit by stray bullets, the lowest in five years.

However the number of people who had to undergo amputations rose to 14 from eight, including a five-year-old boy who lost his hand.

In the 2013 celebrations, at least two people were killed and 793 others were left injured.

Many Filipino civilians keep licensed guns in their homes to protect themselves in a high-crime society and most firecrackers are legal. AFP news
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Call me Old fashioned but when the Teenagers came to Dinner we had a great time and after a little chat, then, we had some Fireworks. Controlled

This was my 67 New Year, I have seen many Accidents and Plan on having some more New Years. 

post-2148-0-08111900-1451878838_thumb.jppost-2148-0-97516400-1451878914_thumb.jppost-2148-0-40215500-1451878969_thumb.jppost-2148-0-89121200-1451878987_thumb.jppost-2148-0-09991900-1451879014_thumb.jppost-2148-0-32428700-1451879033_thumb.jppost-2148-0-93964100-1451879052_thumb.jppost-2148-0-26918900-1451879068_thumb.jppost-2148-0-89107600-1451879086_thumb.jppost-2148-0-18108100-1451879107_thumb.jp

No accidents, in this House and the Dogs were well Looked after No Bangers

Jack :thumbsup:

ps, the Big dogs were in the cages before the Fountain was lit.

:lol:  Did you spot the New Year Edit  :hystery:

Edited by Jack Peterson

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Stray bullets and exploding firecrackers have killed one person and injured almost 200 others as the Philippines plunged into its annual chaotic New Year revelry, authorities said Thursday.

Firecracker-related injuries recorded in government hospitals have risen to 760, the Department of Health (DOH) reported yesterday.

Click here

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Call me Old fashioned but when the Teenagers came to Dinner we had a great time and after a little chat, then, we had some Fireworks. Controlled

This was my 67 New Year, I have seen many Accidents and Plan on having some more New Years. 

attachicon.gifFireworks 2.jpgattachicon.gifFieworks 3.jpgattachicon.giffireworks 1.jpgattachicon.gifFireworks 4.jpgattachicon.gifFireworks 5.jpgattachicon.gifFireworks 6.jpgattachicon.gifFireworks 7.jpgattachicon.gifFireworks 8.jpgattachicon.gifFireworks 9.jpgattachicon.gifFireworks 10.jpg

No accidents, in this House and the Dogs were well Looked after No Bangers

Jack :thumbsup:

ps, the Big dogs were in the cages before the Fountain was lit.

:lol:  Did you spot the New Year Edit  :hystery:

Old fashioned

• Like 1