Military Rule

mogo51
Posted
Posted

For the past few years, a group of us between 20-30 gather on the Jomtien Beach on New Years Eve for a party.  One of the guys organises a PIg on Spit, Other food, chairs on the beach, etc.

We are all mature aged and never cause any problems, leave shortly after 12mn once the fireworks display is over, clean up and would not even know we had been there.

Our friends the Military have banned all parties and placing of chairs on the beach, no alcohol etc.  We were told this today, New Years Eve itself. 

I am so p..sed off and it is just another nail in the Thai coffin.  We will be out of here as soon as we can and over to Phils, where I am hoping things are somewhat more convivial.
Happy New Year Everyone.

PS. we are lucky that the organiser knows a bar owner nearby and we are moving there, Pig still a goer and only 50 mts from the beach.  We can walk down at midnight and check out the fireworks but it is just not quite the same.

If Phils plays it cards right, they can garnish a lot of tourism from disgruntled travelers to Thailand.

• Like 5

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I hope the Philippines is paying attention.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I hope the Philippines is paying attention.

Well they may listen but will they hear or is it the other way Round  :89:

Jack  :whistling:

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

So far the PI's sound better... but one thing you can count on here is that the rules change in a whim... I could see them try to crack down one day - not sure if they could pull it off though  :tiphat:

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
If Phils plays it cards right, they can garnish a lot of tourism from disgruntled travelers to Thailand.

Tourism numbers in the PI for 2012, 2013, and 2014 were 4.2 M, 4.6 M, and 4.8 M. Department of Tourism PI had forecast 10 M for 2014.

Tourism Numbers in Thailand for 2013, and 2014 were 26.5 M and 24.7 M The drop was due to political unrest but martial law ended April, 2015 and tourism has increased.

And then there is lag lag bala in PI. Manila and NAIA can't handle 4 M tourists.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Tourism numbers in the PI

I have a theory that the tourist numbers for the Philippines is inflated. Certainly the numbers from Korea and China are up. But I believe, (and I hope and am very willing to be proved wrong) that the tourist numbers include all tourist visa, including Balikbayan visas. As the USA, Canada, Briton, Australia and the other westerns economies improve the number of BB's also increase. A returning Fil/Am or what ever returning for a visit in my book really isn't a tourist. Oh sure they spend money here but really are not the type to go to the high end beach resorts and such

Just a thought :cheersty:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
We can walk down at midnight and check out the fireworks but it is just not quite the same.

Once you have lived here for a while you will be nostalgic for the days when fireworks were controlled.  We can't even drive down the street right now without some arse throwing a lit, LOUD, firecracker at us. And it will get worse we we are ready to come home later tonight.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

For the past few years, a group of us between 20-30 gather on the Jomtien Beach on New Years Eve for a party.  One of the guys organises a PIg on Spit, Other food, chairs on the beach, etc.

We are all mature aged and never cause any problems, leave shortly after 12mn once the fireworks display is over, clean up and would not even know we had been there.

Our friends the Military have banned all parties and placing of chairs on the beach, no alcohol etc.  We were told this today, New Years Eve itself. 

I am so p..sed off and it is just another nail in the Thai coffin.  We will be out of here as soon as we can and over to Phils, where I am hoping things are somewhat more convivial.

Happy New Year Everyone.

PS. we are lucky that the organiser knows a bar owner nearby and we are moving there, Pig still a goer and only 50 mts from the beach.  We can walk down at midnight and check out the fireworks but it is just not quite the same.

I have seen this many times in Thai and usually it changes every few years just have to wait until the gov change.Still see you in Jan

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

post-285-0-78609000-1451585136_thumb.jpg

What will happen when Marcos Jr. becomes Dictator ooops I mean president for life?

jpbago
Posted
Posted
I have a theory that the tourist numbers for the Philippines is inflated

I have read that the Department of Tourism takes the flight manifests from the international airport arrivals and totals that up. Included are OFWs, senators, Aquino, the Pope, Janet Napoles's daughter, Manny P, missionaries, 13As, SRRVs, Justin Trudeau, etc. That card at the immigration is not used. Actually, it might be difficult to know who is a tourist.

• Like 1