American Beaten To Death In Dumaguete.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Seems plenty of Witnesses but Know nothing of Course The bar is just off the Boulevard I believe, I don't know exactly as it is not the sort of Place I would go.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
the proper response is to call the authorities

The CCTV tape ran out about 9 minutes after Phil was knocked down yet no authorities showed up. I assume the bar is downtown and I assume that more than one person had a phone.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I assume that more than one person had a phone.

We should share that info to our members here.  How many of us know who to call in an emergency?  Do you have a number in your cell phone contacts that is a private number of one of the cops?  (I have a few of those but they become useless after a short time as they are just individual cops cell phone numbers and either he or me end up moving etc).  Is there some universal contact number for Dumaguete that everyone should have had?  I should get that from someone if it is available.

Seems to me that getting in a tricyce and going to the police station or hospital or fire department is the norm here.

• Like 3

Crocodile
Posted
Posted
I am surprised that he fell so easily from an upwards hit with an empty bottle.

I don't want to be an ass, but do you realise how easily it is to kill someone just by hitting them in the head? A beer bottle is a very solid object and a hit in the head can kill you.  Or, it will make you unconscious and if you fall down and headbutt the pavement, it will only add to the damage.

There is a big difference between having a fist fight with someone while you are facing them, and being hit in the head unexpectedly in the side or back of the head.

Anyone who picks up a bottle and hits someone over the head should only be doing it when they fear for their life.  From the footage, I don't want to speculate, but after he hits the ground the others lay into him with their boots.  He may have been dead before he even hit the ground? 

TL;DR  Yes, one punch or hit can kill someone.

• Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Well, he went down after the initial hit with the bottle and ... ok...at that point Phil was no longer a threat to anyone, so fear (due to his size)  was no longer a motivating factor in continuing to pummel the guy. It just seems the others simply wanted to get their licks in-which is why I label this strictly a cowardly act and a senseless murder.

• Like 5

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

This looks oddly like the murder of George Anikow in Makati a couple of years back - the killers are all free...

I am not so sure that Dumaguete is a good place to be a foreigner.

The first thing that strikes me is the blindingly obvious one that this man was beaten senseless in public by three men who worked in the bar that he had been drinking in. Which tells us that the killers thought that they could get away with it.

That is in itself a good reason to cross Dumaguete off a list of places where a foreigner might be reasonably safe.

Going on, what are the Police up to? Waiting for a representative of the deceased to bring charges?

Next, this bar was unlicensed and was next door to a business owned by the Mayor...

• Like 3

strap
Posted
Posted

That is in itself a good reason to cross Dumaguete off a list of places where a foreigner might be reasonably safe.

I don't know, I've never been to Dumaguete, but that seems like an overly broad conclusion to come to based just on this particular incident. I'm not so sure that any city or country is a good place to be acting belligerently at 4 am in a bar...especially as a foreigner. And the fact that he was a foreigner may or may not have even been the main factor. How many times do things like this happen to locals all over the Philippines, and you just never hear about it.

In any case, he certainly didn't deserve this no matter what, but I'm not sure this incident says anything about the overall safety situation of foreigners in Dumaguete.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Booze and egos certainly played their part of yet another senseless death.  Just about everyday Filipinos, even among brothers or cousins, when they get into a drinking session, you might as well throw out all human compassion and sensitivity through the window.

May he rest in peace finally......apparently the world he left in was not at peace, perhaps even within himself.

Respectfully -- Jake 

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I don't know, I've never been to Dumaguete, but that seems like an overly broad conclusion to come to based just on this particular incident. I'm not so sure that any city or country is a good place to be acting belligerently at 4 am in a bar...especially as a foreigner. And the fact that he was a foreigner may or may not have even been the main factor. How many times do things like this happen to locals all over the Philippines, and you just never hear about it.

In any case, he certainly didn't deserve this no matter what, but I'm not sure this incident says anything about the overall safety situation of foreigners in Dumaguete.

I have passed through Dumaguete; I found it very pleasant. I agree that drinking in a bar on your own at 4.00 am is unwise anywhere and doubly so as a foreigner in the Philippines.

Dumaguete had been on my short list, but I think the short list might get revised...